Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Taurine - when do you take it? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Taurine - when do you take it?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Taurine - when do you take it?  (Read 584 times)
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

Taurine - when do you take it?
« on: Apr 13th, 2006, 12:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We just received the 1000mg supplements I'd orderd.  I read that Red Bull has 1000mg in it, so - do you just not worry about when or how much you take?

I know Melatonin you take at night about 20 min or so before what would normally be bed-time.  But the Taurine doesn't say when to take it.  Should it be taken with food?  Inbetween meals?  Just the 1000mg dose (as recommended on the bottle?) Or 3 or 4 doses a day, as suggested here  

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Taurine  

?????????????

I'm starting to feel like a pain always asking questions, but searches on the site aren't turning up answers.   Embarassed

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: Taurine - when do you take it?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 1:30pm »

I can't help with your Taurine question.....

on Apr 13th, 2006, 12:57pm, Garys_Girl wrote:
I'm starting to feel like a pain always asking questions, but searches on the site aren't turning up answers.   Embarassed

DO NOT FEEL LIKE A PAIN! You are here doing research to support your husband. We should all be so lucky! Plus, you also ANSWER a lot of questions, I've caught you doing it Wink
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 1:47pm »

Never feel like a pain, Laurie!  
Anecdotal evidence suggests that the taurine (and caffeine) in a Red Bull will abort a hit. In that scenario, my guess would be that popping one at the onset of an attack would be the best time. Of course, your hubby could beta test whether it would work as a prevent, too. I know the kudzu isn't helping completely, so maybe adding taurine (washed down with a cola?) will increase it's effectiveness? We don't know. There's one way to find out...  Grin  
[beta testing involves somes record keeping. ie: a headache diary]
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 3:33pm »

THANK YOU for your kind words.  I needed them just then.  Cheesy

Nani, Gary and I already spent all our time together, so I've started keeping his headache journal.  The only thing I'm not logging is when he smokes cigarettes.  Otherwise anything that goes into that body is noted, and with an exact time.

Poor thing has been having serious sinus issues the past few days, and the meds he's been attempting to use for that seem to have really screwed us up.   Sad

From the reading I've done, it seems that perhaps the Taurine enhances the effect of the coffee (caffeine) as an abortive, like you were pointing out Nani.  But I think we'll give it a go as a preventative - maybe it enhances the effect of the Kudzu root.  So for now, I think I'll have him take it with the Kudzu and see if we see any change in his pain index.  If, over the next few days, without the sinus meds, his pain index doesn't drop below where it was with just the Kudzu, then we'll try it with the caffeine as a preventative.

Thanks for the words of support and encouragement.  They are GREATLY appreciated!

Laurie
IP Logged

MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 8:31pm »

If it can abort most likely it may prevent.

Since relaxation is a trigger for many of us, I dont know about taurine alone, but I would take the drinks early in the day to be at max alert.

I believe its the stimulating effect that does the job. But thats just me.
IP Logged

MJ
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 10:05pm »

I don't know when to take the taurine on it's own, I always felt that an ICE COLD Amp or RB worked better than a warm one, so I thought the cold had something to do with it...maybe it is the cold combined with the taurine...
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 9:41pm »

I've been doing online research of Taurine.  After all I've read, I think I'm going to start taking it as a supplement!

A number of clinical studies have been done using Taurine for various things.  It's been shown to lower blood pressure, strengthen the heart muscle, improve the absorption of bile, lower the risk of gallstones, improve the ratio of LDL/HDL cholestorol, lower cholesterol, relieves "arterial spasms," helps prevent macular degeneration, and the list goes on.

A concise discussion of the benefits of Taurine is here:

http://www.wellfx.com/InfoBase/vitamin_taurine_.htm

For those of you more scientifically oriented, this is a useful link:  

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/fulltext/taurine3-2.html

Dosage seems to be in the 3g to 6g range (some studies are using much higher doses, but it seems like something you wouldn't want to try unless under supervision of a Doctor).

Taurine apparently helps optimize the metabolism of magnesium.  In fact, many people get diarrhea from magnesium supplements because of the absorption/metabolism problem.  Many magnesium supplements are now sold in combination with Taurine to prevent this problem.

I'm sure many of you are already aware that both Cluster Headache sufferers and Migraine sufferers in many instances have been shown to have lower-than-normal levels of magnesium in their brains.  This relationship between Taurine and Magnesium and the benefits some clusterheads have experienced from using Taurine is probably not a coincidence, especially as it helps improve your body's ability to "use" magnesium even if you don't take a mag supplement.

In fact, a clinical trial of just magnesium as a "treatment" for cluster headaches was conducted:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve &list_uids=8550360&dopt=Abstract

Results were seen only in people with significantly lower than normal levels of magnesium, but results were enough to merit further study.

There is a site dedicated entirely to magnesium hosted by the New York Weill Cornell Medical Center:

http://www.mgwater.com/

Interestingly, if you click on their "magnesium website page 2," you'll find they're looking for people with Migraines who have tried or are using magnesium to help.

Gary, for now, is using 4g of Taurine as a supplement (along with the Kudzu, magnesium, calcium and tumeric).
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2006, 9:51pm by Garys_Girl » IP Logged

mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16th, 2006, 1:53am »

Laurie,

Trust me you are just getting stared with the questions.  I have been here for a while andI ask questions all the time!  Good Luck!

Good VIbes and keep the questions coming!

your Brother in Pain

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss