Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 11:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Not a cure....... but it worked for me! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Not a cure....... but it worked for me!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Not a cure....... but it worked for me!  (Read 396 times)
Douglas_A
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Email

Not a cure....... but it worked for me!
« on: Apr 14th, 2006, 11:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, I suffered, and I use the past tense deliberately, from life stopping cluster headaches for about two months. I was on the verge of losing my job, feared the night as sleep seemed to trigger them, 2 -3 attacks a day, unbelievable pain, I’m sure you all know the cycle.  

My GP did her best with Beta Blockers, migraine medication the whole works, I stopped smoking, drinking alcohol, ditched coffee, cheese all the standard triggers but to no avail. One appointment my regular GP was not available and I saw another doctor in the practice. She prescribed Amitriptyline 25mg, 1 - 2 tablets at night, I was confused at first as they are anti-depressants and apart from the headaches I was not depressed, I talked to the pharmacist and he told me that Amitriptyline is commonly prescribed for sufferers of chronic back pain. After taking the first dose that night I have now been pain free for three weeks! (Apart from one attack when I went away for the weekend and forgot the tablets) The weird thing is I still have the attacks as I get the red eyes, droopy eyelid and runny nose but none of the pain.  

As for side effects, I have a dry mouth occasionally and the diuretic effect is present but compared to the headaches this is heaven! I don’t know if this will work for everyone but what have you got to lose?

Good luck

Doug
IP Logged
Icey
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Not a cure....... but it worked for me!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 2:17pm »

I agree Doug , it worked for me too in one cycle but the next cycle it didnt touch it . The ol beast got used to it , but as for the side affects I would have them anyday compared to the CH
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 4:27pm »

I took Amitriptyline for 8 months and found it didnt help at all. I hope it keeps working for you.  

Stay pain free!!

Dragn
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 8:40pm »

Tickled to death it works for you, aint it great?? I take lithium, normally used for bi-polar I believe. When you pick up your prescription everyone is real nice to you and talks reeeeaaaallllyyy soft!!! Embarrasses my wife and cracks me up!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 10:37pm »

Good for you!  I will keep my fingers crossed that this will continue to help you!

Good Vibes

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss