Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 7:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Sinus Buster, Hell I'll try anything once! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Sinus Buster, Hell I'll try anything once!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sinus Buster, Hell I'll try anything once!  (Read 4240 times)
nicholsb
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Sinus Buster, Hell I'll try anything once!
« on: Mar 21st, 2007, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For the last few months I have been listening to Sirius satelite radio play ads for Sinus Buster. In the ad they claim it kills cluster headaches and other types of chonic headaches. One of of their formulas even says Clusters right on the bottle. Well, because I'm a sucker and will try anything once I ordered some. At 16.00 a bottle, what do I have to lose. I just got my first order in today and read the directions. It says on the instructions to take as needed for headaches. They also say to do a dose in the am and in the pm for chronic headaches. Because I am in the middle of my cycle and have the shadow hanging on I went ahead and took a few hits. It has a hot pepper extract in it but didnt bite too bad. I have no idea yet if this stuff works but noticed my shadow tapered off about 5 minutes later. Good sign. Just wondering if I'm the only sucker out there and what kind of luck other CH sufferers have had. Any other takers?
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

Re: Sinus Buster, Hell I'll try anything once!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 7:48pm »

OC spray is probably cheaper per dose, and it'll go farther up your schnoz.  If you get the bear spray (50 percent oleoresin capsicum) , it'll really curl your toes.   Shocked  

Good luck with that stuff.  I've never seen anyone report consistently good results after using it.  

If it doesn't work, you can always season enchiladas with it.

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 8:56pm »

Heh heh... on Stern the other day I heard about 'Sinus Buster PMS Formula'... seriously.    

I am waiting for 'Sinus Buster Make Your Dick Bigger Formula' before I try it.

Gotta go take a hit of my current tonic...
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 9:40pm »

I have never heard anyone get results from this quack snake oil.  But you are not alone.  Many of us have tried our share of snake oil treatments.

Maybe you WILL have good results.  You never know until you try.

Chuck

BTW:  Sirius Radio ROCKS!  My favorite stations are :Best of Broadway; Out Q; and 50's Rock and Roll
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
nicholsb
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 10:49pm »

No question after 25 years of headaches I've tried my share of snake oils, but you never know when one is going to come along that works.  Nothing but Imitrex has ever done the job for me, but as I said I'll try anything once.  I think however,  I'll pass on the LSD.  Undecided
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 1:26am »

Let us know how it works... I would love nothing more than to find even a partially effective OTC treatment.

on Mar 21st, 2007, 10:49pm, nicholsb wrote:
I think however,  I'll pass on the LSD.  Undecided

You mean psilocybin, one of the few treatments proven to kick CH ass?  Why... did Nancy Reagan's 'Just Say No' shit work?  I suppose jabbing a 'Just Say No' merit badge into ones head during a hit is better than nothing.   Grin
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 5:29am »

on Mar 22nd, 2007, 1:26am, Lobster wrote:
You mean psilocybin, one of the few treatments proven to kick CH ass?  Why... did Nancy Reagan's 'Just Say No' shit work?  I suppose jabbing a 'Just Say No' merit badge into ones head during a hit is better than nothing.   Grin

Some of us have very valid reasons keeping us, personally, from going that route, and Nancy isn't one of them.

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:18am »

Some folks do indeed have valid reasons for avoiding the indole hallucinogens, (LSD, psilocybin, LSA) and some do not.  Everyone must decide for themselves if those reasons outweigh, in nicholsb’s example, 25 years of cluster headaches.

The main reasons to avoid these substances  -  

1. They are illegal. It is illegal to possess or ingest psilocybin or LSD in most countries; it is illegal to ingest seeds containing LSA, but it is usually legal (local laws may vary) to possess these seeds for gardening purrposes. Some people are in careers or professions where any hint of illegal drug use must be avoided.

2. They can cause hallucinations and mental distortions. They are contraindicated for those with a tendency toward , or a family history of, schizophrenia or other serious mental illness. Some people may have uncomfortable experiences - sometimes horrifyingly uncomfortable - with the hallucinations.

3. Uh....I can’t think of a third reason at the moment. What Nancy Reagan thinks is not a reason. But there may be others.  

And there are ways to minimize these problems. The Clusterbusters are finding that these substances seem to be effective at doses smaller than those which cause hallucinations. Those who are discreet, and avoid using criminal sources of these substances, face little chance of arrest.

Wait - I recall one more reason to avoid these drugs. I read a report from one person who tried psilocybin and felt the “high” reminded him of the days when he was addicted to other drugs (note - the indole hallucinogens are NOT addictive), and he did not want to be reminded of those days, which took much struggle to leave behind.  

It is always an individual choice.

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
chewy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
At 16.00 a bottle, what do I have to lose

$16.00.

Sinus Buster......brought to you by.............

IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:38am »

Yeah, I understand that there are non-Nancy reasons for not trying alternatives.  I just tend to incorrectly lump people into that 'Just Say No' category.

A year or two ago I was graced via email by one of our members informing me, at length, that the whole pack of us who use the alternatives will be spending eternity in hell.  The whole... 'CH is just a taste of the eternal suffering' thing... 'Clusterbusters is a tool of evil' shit.

She was fucked in the head enough to equate a 'law' with a 'mortal sin'.  And her fucking signature was 'Just Say No'.  No shit... 'Just Say No'.  
Gotta adore the religious right.  Someday I will out her.  

IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:15pm »

OMFW!!!

One of OUR people said that??  GEEZE!!!

Even though, for my own reasons, I don't go that route, I FULLY support those that do!

And those that get good results, MAHHHVELOUS!!!

You just blew me away, that one of us actually said that to you ....

Chuck
IP Logged

Thomas Fuller
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 1:04pm »

Lucky for me I suppose that I don't believe in an other worldly place such as hell.   Grin
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
nicholsb
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 8:43am »

Woke up at 2am in full headache mode as I have 4 of the last 6 nights. This time rather than reaching for my loaded syringe of imitrex, I decided to put the pepper to the test. I shot a couple squirts up each nostril and waited. Less than 5 minutes later the headache had tapered off. 10 minutes later I was snoring... Coincidence? Maybe.  Who knows, could be my cycle is tapering off and it would have fizzled out regardless. I'm not by any means ready to jump on the pepper wagon, but I do plan to continue with this stuff. What do I have to lose? At 50.00 per copay for a couple bottles of Imitrex, I need to conserve as much as I can.  
Even if I can use this stuff when my cycles are ramping up or ramping down, think of all the Imitrex I can save for peak season.  

All you skepics out there, go screw yourself! Going on 26 years of this crap, and this being my 2nd cycle in 6 months, all I really have is hope that something will eventually come along that works, that doesn't cost 10.00 a shot. Most of you were probably still a drip on your Daddy's leg when I started suffering these headaches. I spent over 10 years dealing with the Beast before Imitrex was even an option.  Hell, it took over a year and 1 sinus surgery for the idiots to even figure out what I had back then. So any of you that would rather suffer, feel sorry for yourself, or spend money on over priced drugs, suit yourself. If being a guinea pig means taking a chance on finding a cure or at least a low price pain blocker, I'm in!
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 9:35am »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 8:43am, nicholsb wrote:
Most of you were probably still a drip on your Daddy's leg when I started suffering these headaches. I spent over 10 years dealing with the Beast before Imitrex was even an option.  Hell, it took over a year and 1 sinus surgery for the idiots to even figure out what I had back then. So any of you that would rather suffer, feel sorry for yourself, or spend money on over priced drugs, suit yourself. If being a guinea pig means taking a chance on finding a cure or at least a low price pain blocker, I'm in!    

laugh

Well, you asked.  Sorry you didn't like the answers.

Here's one for you, as long as we're on the subject of saving money--at sixteen bucks a bottle, why is this specific brand-name hot pepper juice any better than squeezing the juice out of a jalapeno and snorting it?  I can get a jalapeno for a nickel in the produce section.

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 9:40am »

Woke up at 2am in full headache mode as I have 4 of the last 6 nights. This time rather than reaching for my loaded syringe of imitrex, I decided to put the pepper to the test. I shot a couple squirts up each nostril and waited. Less than 5 minutes later the headache had tapered off. 10 minutes later I was snoring... Coincidence? Maybe.  Who knows, could be my cycle is tapering off and it would have fizzled out regardless. I'm not by any means ready to jump on the pepper wagon, but I do plan to continue with this stuff. What do I have to lose? At 50.00 per copay for a couple bottles of Imitrex, I need to conserve as much as I can.  
Even if I can use this stuff when my cycles are ramping up or ramping down, think of all the Imitrex I can save for peak season.  

All you skepics out there, go screw yourself! Going on 26 years of this crap, and this being my 2nd cycle in 6 months, all I really have is hope that something will eventually come along that works, that doesn't cost 10.00 a shot. Most of you were probably still a drip on your Daddy's leg when I started suffering these headaches. I spent over 10 years dealing with the Beast before Imitrex was even an option.  Hell, it took over a year and 1 sinus surgery for the idiots to even figure out what I had back then. So any of you that would rather suffer, feel sorry for yourself, or spend money on over priced drugs, suit yourself. If being a guinea pig means taking a chance on finding a cure or at least a low price pain blocker, I'm in!    

nopity
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 9:51am »

What an odious and offensive post. If you HAVE truly been here before (other than as a snake oil salesman) then you will have doubtlesslly read of literally hundreds ofpeople who have tried this. Many of the people you are bitching at here HAVE tried it and it FAILED.

Professor Goadsby of the Institute of Neurology in London did research Capsaicin and found it had no use as a treatment within clusterheadaches.  

Now a Cluster Headache expert led clinical study beats a mouthful of "screw you's" don't you think?

IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:03am »

Get a GRIP!!!

If you expect any help, assistance, or just an ear to listen, from anyone here, I would drop the fuckin attitude!

You are FAR from the oldest or one with them for the longest!  There are PLENTY of us that have had them MANY years.  And many of us went through years of misdiagnosis, and no meds, too.

If this works for you, GREAT.  But too many of us see it as just another snake oil, and YES some of us HAVE tried that crap.

Get off your fuckin high horse and understand the outlook of those of us that HAVE been in the trenches with this beast for many years.

And, just for your information, it is well known, on this site,  that I have had them for 28 years, the last 8 being chronic.  So quit yer damn whinning!  SOME of us don't have the pleasure of being "out of cycle" ... And NO, I am not whinning, just trying to point out some facts to you.

Chuck
IP Logged

Thomas Fuller
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:42am »

yo nichols,

$10 per shot for the relief that an imitrexshot can get ya is nothing...... many of us, when limited by how much insurance will pay, pay for them FULL PRICE.... and when the pain melts away, it is still worth it. Hate to admit that but you need to get over yourself dude.

scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:59am »

Nichols,

I'm the peacemaker on this site, but have to agree with a lot of the objections to your attitude on this one.  

A lot of us HAVE tried EVERYTHING there is to try (Hell, I even tried banana peels around my head - my husband came up with that one) and without results. We're GLAD you found something that worked for YOU, but remember that what works for ONE doesn't work for EVERYONE.  

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, but lose the attitude. We're here for support - not WW111.  

Ok, kids, go back to playing nice -- Mom has to go paint her toenails now...

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:40am »

Wow...a 25 year CH sufferer.  
Yet your very first visit to this site is to ask our opinion on SinusBuster.

Your modus operandi is identical to that of 10 other SinusBuster shills who grace our presence.  

I am not certain whether you are a shill or just a douche bag.  But if SB is working for you, sincere congrats.

IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:56am »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:59am, BarbaraD wrote:
Ok, kids, go back to playing nice -- Mom has to go paint her toenails now...

You are right, Barbara, I am sorry.  I have cooled off now.  

I will be good ... or at least a LITTLE good!!! LOL

Chuck  
bow headbanger hug
IP Logged

Thomas Fuller
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:15pm »

Nicholsb, If you are having good results with SB, fantastic!  Everyone on these boards are happy for you that it appears to be working.  But, I have read many posts from others here who have tried it, with absolutely no help whatsoever.  I have yet to read even one success story for the use of SB that wasn't posted by a SB salesman, trying to make his daily quota.

So, Nicholsb, yes.  We are skeptics - you betcha we are!  And your comment telling us to screw ourselves was completely out of line.  Nobody in this thread attacked you.  They talked about their skepticism on SB, and cracked jokes about SB - not about you.  

Your first post asked us if any other CH suffers had any luck with SB.  You were answered - nobody has had any luck with SB.  That does not make us bad guys, it just means that there have been no success stories.  

Get off your high horse.  If SB works for you, we are elated that you are finding some relief.  Every rule has an exception.  Maybe with SB, you will be the exception to the rule.  Hope so.

When you lose the attitude, please continue to let us know how you are doing.

Till then, good luck with the SB

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #22 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 3:33pm »

At 50.00 per copay for a couple bottles of Imitrex, I need to conserve as much as I can.  

Just to be nit picky, I wanted to point out that Imitrex doesn't come in bottles.  It comes as tablets in boxed blister packs, injections as  StatDose Kits and vials and as nasal inhalers.  But then, someone who never used Imitrex wouldn't know that, would they?

IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 5:51pm »

If the sinus spray seems to be working for you, thats great! However, my concern is that if you have had 25 years of CH, you are likely to have 25 years more, which means you will get a LOT of capsaicin up your nose if you continue to use it daily for CH.

Are you aware of the potential side effects of capsaicin from potentially mutagenic to carcinogenic ie cancer causing to toxicity and hyperstimulation of lungs and heart which can be potentially lethal in some people? Not to mention local irrititation to the lining of the nose and throat, leading to localised pain and damages there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=12208187&dopt=Abstract

www.cprc.org/tm/tm-01-98.pdf

http://sulcus.berkeley.edu/mcb/165_001/papers/manuscripts/_640.html

http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/content/m368686h77484u32/

Another of my concerns is that you tried the spray once and it appeared to help. You yourself were skeptical whether it was coincidental or not, yet you jumped on those who has doubt as to its longterm efficacy ? That doesnt seem fair at all.

There are studies that show the efficacy of the spray is modest at best and that the longer you use capsaicin, the poorer the result you get. The study followed hundreds of patients over several weeks therefore would be more accurate and reliable.

I would appreciate your opinion if you would continue to use the spray daily for another few weeks or so then to post your findings. If you can still get the same effectiveness from the spray most of the time several weeks down the track then I would cede to your bashing of the rest of us skeptics.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/328/7446/991

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=12056936&dopt=Abstract

Its great to find things that work for you but its important to do your own research properly to be aware of all the pros and cons associated with the treatment.

Good luck with it all.

Annette
IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:25pm »

Annette, you are awesome!!!

You have such a sweet and polite way of saying: "You are a bonehead ..."

LOL

Chuck
IP Logged

Thomas Fuller
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss