Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 10:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « First Pred Taper »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   First Pred Taper
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: First Pred Taper  (Read 357 times)
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

First Pred Taper
« on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So a week ago, I started my first pred taper.. 5/40, 3/30, 3/20, 3/10, 3/5 - taken in one dose in the am
5 days at 40mg/day - by the second day, I was down to 1 HA/day at night at about 10:30 pm (and they were real monsters, by the way), which continued through the 40mg days - first day on the 30, back to 2 HA's ------  
Any thoughts?  
Primary care doc didn't want to start pred any higher than 40 - do HA's usually quit before tapering begins? (I weigh about 200 lbs)
I also upped my Tmax to 100am/150pm at the same time

Lenny
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: First Pred Taper
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:49am »

Print this and give to your doc:

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
 -----------------

Notice that Rozen recommends up to 80mg as the starting dose, consistent with another comment that CH folks often require much higher doses of meds than is usual. I've seen recommendations up to 100mg in the medical literature.  

I suspect that it will be necessary to do another cycle with a higher starting dose in orde to abort cycle.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: First Pred Taper
« Reply #2 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:26am »

I could never abort a cycle with just prednisone, although while on prednisone I get 100% relief from CH. I've started tapers as high ass 80 mg a day, through trial and error I now use a 40 mg taper. I weigh 190 and at doses as low as 30mg a day get 100% block from CH.

As with everything else about this condition, your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss