Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 4:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Flunarizine ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Flunarizine ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Flunarizine ?  (Read 955 times)
Brenda
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Flunarizine ?
« on: Jan 18th, 2008, 11:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello from the rainy Sunshine Coast of BC.

Has anyone ever been prescribed Flunarizine and did it work for you?

I have been taking the medication for 10 / 11 days now.
One [1]  capsule each evening and it appeared to be giving me a bit of relief.

It also lowers blood pressure and i've had a bit of a difficult time adjusting to that and a few other side effects.

But, last evening  my migraine intensified....it did not completely bloom....it is riding on the edge and again this evening.

Anyone else know of the medication?

Blessings
Brenda
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Flunarizine ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 12:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I found  three interesting citations suggesting it has been used mostly with migraine. The one sentence in caps suggests why it hasn't appeared in literature for CH.
===============
 Wien Med Wochenschr. 1993;143(19-20):514-8.
[Calcium channel blockers in therapy of neurologic diseases]

[Article in German]

Wessely P, Wöber-Bingöl C.

Universitätsklinik für Neurologie, Wien.

The clinical use of calcium antagonists (Ca-antagonists) in neurological diseases focuses on 2 main therapeutic fields: (a) For the therapy of migraine flunarizine is the first choice therapy and nimodipine is a second line treatment. WITH VERAPAMIL CLUSTER HEADACHE CAN BE TREATED SUCCESSFULLY, FLUNARIZINE SHOWS LESS IMPRESSIVE CLINICAL EFFICACY. The therapy with flunarizine may be restricted due to the incidence of extrapyramidal disturbances and depressions as known side effects. (b) The therapy of clinical conditions after subarachnoidal bleeding with nimodipine is well established. In the therapy of acute cerebral ischemia the therapeutic efficacy of nimodipine administered orally is not therapeutically proved until now; the intravenous administration of nimodipine offers the risk of acute hypotensive reactions. At present the usefulness of the administration of ca-antagonists in the so-called cerebrovascular insufficiency or dementia and various others cerebral disorders with vertigo could not be demonstrated.

Publication Types:  
English Abstract
Review

PMID: 8135034 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss