Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 11:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex nasal spray »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex nasal spray
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex nasal spray  (Read 1242 times)
Bstrong
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Imitrex nasal spray
« on: Apr 17th, 2008, 11:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anybody tried this medication?  If so can I get some feed back please.
IP Logged
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Imitrex nasal spray
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 12:09am »

sure have - used it for all of my cycles with good success-  its a good abortive

Tastes yucky running down your throat but well worth it when pain is relieved.  

I have used the imitrex stat doses too- faster relief - 5 minutes compared to 15 or so with nasals- jabbing yourself the first time is feels pretty crazy though-you get used to it-

Problem with triptans is insurance-  even with physician overrides couldn't usually get enough to cover  a cycle- so for now my doctor has been giving me samples of different triptans every couple of weeks when i see him- for 8 days I took Frova- loved that ,  now taking zomig nasals-  which is fast acting for me too-  

BIg thing is don't mix triptans- can be dangerous-

Do you  have o2?

Good luck
IP Logged
Bstrong
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 12:13am »

Meza, thank you for the reply!  Yes just got these Rxs today.  Oxygen delivered tomorrow.  These are both new to me.  Not what I'm used to.  A little nervous about it but man am I willing to do anything at this point.  This is my worst cycle ever!
IP Logged
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 12:26am »

sorry you are having such a hard time-

the pf time that abortives allow you are great in the beginning of a cycle-  Lots of folks have noticed rebound headaches with triptans-  I probably got them too- just difficult for me to tell the difference between strong shadows and rebounds-  

I was nervous about o2 at first too- I worried about my kids being scared around it and confused, my dogs tripping over it - surprisingly none of that is a problem- just part of my bedroom now-  My cycle is winding down ( or my meds are really working - who knows) so i haven't really needed it in a week or so

Give it a shot!  Look to the left and read all about o2 and flow rate etc-  you'll get the best info there-

Good Luck to You!
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 6:44am »

I try to not use them that often, keeping a couple at work for an abortive.  With its 15-20 minute time span, it's good to be sensitive to which indications are going to develop and which are heavy shadows that don't materialize, being wrong can be a bit late within the opportunity to react to prevent being incapacitated for a short time.  Or using them at night only when oxygen use gets very frequent on some nights, it can curtail constant waking if not used often during peak times.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2008, 7:07am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:10am »

For me, when it works at all, Imitrex Nasal Spray takes 15 - 20 minutes to take effect.  I get much faster abort times with Zomig Nasal Spray - usually around 7 minutes, sometimes less.  Imitrex injections start working for me in around 5 minutes.

My first-line abortive is Oxygen.  Cheap, few to no side effects and works in 5 - 7 minutes most of the time.  I use it at 15lpm via a clustermasx, which you can no longer buy, but you can get the parts to make your own.  Check out this link:

http://www.mushys.com/O2/mymask.html
IP Logged
stevec
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 10:37am »

The nasal spray has never worked for me whereas a tiny dose of injectable Imitrex almost always works.  I still don't know why the nasal route doesn't work for me when it is the same medication.  If you are congested (common during a CH) then the nasal route will be less effective.  Still, give it a try.  If it works, you save yourself having to fuss with the injections.  Obviously, O2 should be your first line abortive.  Good luck.

Steve
IP Logged
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 8:07pm »

I found the nasal spray to work most of the time but not always. There were two times that I went to use it and nothing discharged from the spray. Angry This really sucked when my insurance only alloted so many per month. You only get one shot to get it right.  

I now use the vial dose and it is awesome! Doc. gave me a script for 31 guage insulin syringes so the needle does not hurt so bad. I can usually split one 6mg. vial into three doses. The great thing about this is that if I need more, I can just hit it again. The 6mg. vial is actually meant as one dose but I usually do not need so much. I have found this to be much more effective and it cost me less than the nasal sprays did.
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19th, 2008, 6:48pm »

Hi Brad

Did you get your 02 today?  15 lpm regulator?  Non-rebreather mask?

PM me or post on this thread if you need any hints on using same . . . . tis truly wonderful for most of us.

Be Safe,  PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 12:36am »

Bstrong...if you need a regulator or a non-rebreather mask, please pm me your address.  I will send them to you free of charge of course.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 12:42pm »

Be sure and follow the directions re. head placement and how hard you squeeze the container.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
zapparulz
New Board Newbie
USA 

take an aspirin.....

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 2:18pm »

on Apr 17th, 2008, 11:54pm, Bstrong wrote:
Has anybody tried this medication?  If so can I get some feed back please.

i did use it and it does work sometimes for me-if i take it more than 1 day on the second day,i get bad rebound headaches- but i guess if i didn't use it 2 days in a row,i might still use it-
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss