Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 11:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Food Triggers? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Food Triggers?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Food Triggers?  (Read 1209 times)
SteveP

Email

Food Triggers?
« on: Dec 5th, 2002, 5:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know this is probably an ancient subject for most of you, but I wanted to find out if certain foods or drink trigger your CH's like they do mine.

I believe alcohol and caffeine are probably the most common triggers for most, but what about the following:

Ice Cream
Milk  
Fruit
Basically, anything with fruit in it
Any kind of soft drink of juice
Some Veggys

I don't think I ever had a problem with consuming any of the above until I had my first CH thirteen years ago.

I can usually drink beer (I like beer  Wink) between cycles, but the rest of the triggers are absolute no-no's.

Do any of you have odd triggers?
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Food Triggers?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2002, 5:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Steve (wow, there's alot of steves here).  I have 2 sure 'triggers':  Alcohol and sleep.

EA aka Steve

BTW... Caffeine is GOOD, very good.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 5th, 2002, 5:29pm »

Nope... No triggers for me... Except certain alcohols maybe.

PFDAN................................. Drk^Angel
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 5th, 2002, 5:35pm »

Wes has triggers alcohol and orange juice oh and kids but only if he eats a whole one!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Cathy Smiley
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Azrael
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Sometimes... Being good just ain't worth it.

27810130 27810130   kennkurr  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 5th, 2002, 5:47pm »

Ewwwwwwww... Kids... They're a bit stringy...

PFDAN...................... Drk^Angel

PS... And they have no flavor, kinda like veal.

DA
IP Logged

"Hello police? I would like to report a robbery. Someone stole all my beer while I was drunk."
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 5th, 2002, 7:08pm »

No Drk... they taste pretty good if you slap them in the head with some mayo. LOL  Grin
suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
Jarvis
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 5th, 2002, 7:28pm »

Yep coffees good.  Triggers same, sleep and alcohol and too much salt , msg, chocolate also relaxation or lack of stress. orange juice too.   Any other fruits and veggies are good.   Cant say I ever tried a kid though..          
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2002, 7:33pm by Jarvis » IP Logged
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 5th, 2002, 8:32pm »

on Dec 5th, 2002, 5:47pm, Drk^Angel wrote:
Ewwwwwwww... Kids... They're a bit stringy...

PFDAN...................... Drk^Angel

PS... And they have no flavor, kinda like veal.

DA

LMAO......

You have been in rare form today Dark...thanks!
IP Logged

Click The Flag
SteveP

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 6th, 2002, 1:35pm »

Hey thanks for the replies!  Grin

I don't know if the consumption of kids would trigger my CH's, but I know roadkill is a definate no-no.

Us Idahoans live for that stuff!

IP Logged
ave

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 7th, 2002, 5:17am »

Steve,

I don't think I share any of your triggers - yet I do get clusters.
Big trigger for me recently: liquorice!

O, and kids will trigger of any sort of headache going, if taken intravenously!
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Dec 7th, 2002, 10:21am »

Hey Steve P

Do you have flyer-rabbits in Idaho?
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 7th, 2002, 2:41pm »

Here's my 2cents on food triggers and clusters:

It's not so much the food being the trigger.  Its the metabolic reaction to the food that "triggers" an attack.  After you eat your body becomes more relaxed.  The relaxation is what triggers the attack, not so much the food.  When I am in a cycle I tend to cut WAY back on my food intake.  It was instinctual and not based on any medical info I have ever received.  Over the years, it became obvvious that every time I ate a substantial meal, about 1/2 hour later KABLAM!

No doc ever told me this, so take it at face value
when clusters are around, eat minimally and small portions.  Drink lots of coffee (LOL).  I consider this technique to be my own form of preventative and abortive jitterbuggin.  I avoid anything that will induce a state of "winding down", cuz in my history, that's the big NO NO. .............. ???

docs give ya a huge list of foods to avoid.  In my own personal history and experience, it is not really the food.  Its what all food will naturally do that your body just don't like DURING CLUSTERS.  Ya wanna eat chinese?  Ok.  Only eat a TINY bit.  And then, swig a big fat cup of coffee. Cheesy  Don't sit down, put the tube on and blob out.  That's what the trigger really is.
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Dec 7th, 2002, 2:52pm »

100% correct kim.

I've been saying it for years............

Stay stressed. Never relex. Never sleep. Ever!
IP Logged

eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 7th, 2002, 5:57pm »

Rock solid post Kim, well said.  I think you may be correct.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
sueellen83
New Board Veteran
USA 

Shoot me and get it over with!!!!!

nsueellen83   nsueellen83
Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 1:02am »

Steve,

For me alcohol is a big trigger when I am in cycle.

However raw onions and MSG, don't trigger a CH but, will make the CH more intense.
IP Logged
HeadBang

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 2:22am »

Ready for this... CURED MEATS.  I knw, i know..."cured meats, Tony?" you say.  But yes, In 15 years i have learbed to avoid the peperoni, ham, salami (Drat i love that stuff) when in a cluster.  Of course, wine, chocolate, and the others don't sit well for me either, but the cured meats thing was not yet mentioned.

So, I am a new user.  Just found this site tonight while killing time until morning comes.  Just had 3 rebound headaches from the Imitrex and have no desire to go back to sleep for a third.  So, I got me a password, a log in and darned if I wasn't going to use it tonight.  I am in the middle (I hope it's the middle or even the end) of another cluster after a 2.5+ years of remissions...then WHAM!- out of nowhere the BEAST, as you all call it, comes barreling though my door and declares that he is going to be hanging around for a while.  I tell him to take a walk but he just pulls up a chair, kicks up his feet and starts messing with my head several times a day.  My problems are many these days, but the biggest issue is I was laid off in OCtober, lost my medical insurance and have no way to coverage for the expensive meds.  By God's mercy my Wife, kids and I are maiking it work, but I pray for this nightmare to end soon.  No need to tell you all about the pain...you live it with me.  That is what makes me so grateful- to have a haven to go to where I am on common ground with others who know this life disruption.  I have a lot of humility, however, after reading something last night on another website that I did not know before...there are those, and maybe many are members on this web site, who suffer from Chronic Clusters with a remission NO greater than 14 days a year!  Oh my Lord.  My heart just sank when I read that.  How grateful I am that my remission was a glorious 30 months and 20 the cluster before that?  What a life event for these poor men and women.  I consider myself fortunate knowing that soon, maybe even tomorrow, these incredibly painful headaches will go away, but for many that tomorrow is a long way off and only last 2 weeks.  That will keep me humble for sure.  Peace Out friends.
-Tony
IP Logged
suzy617
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Love is friendship set on fire

suzy617
Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 4:39am »

Hi Tony,  
Welcome aboard. Please post a message about yourself in the General Posts. More people will see that post and give you the Big Hello. Sorry that the beast has found you again.  
Good luck,
suzy
IP Logged

When God measures men, He puts the tape around the heart, not the head.
SteveP

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 11:20am »

Bob, no flyer-rabbits in Idaho, but we do get an occasional jack-a-lope.

Headbang, welcome to the website!  I am a newby myself and this website is absolutely wonderful.  You will learn a ton of information here.

Regarding your triggers:  I have heard or read somewhere (probably on this site) that nitrates can be a trigger for CH's.  I may be stating the obvious, but it may have some truth to it.
IP Logged
SteveP

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 11:30am »

Big trigger for me recently: liquorice!

Ave,

I'm pretty sure liquorice would probably trigger a CH for me as well.  I just don't remember the last time I had a piece.  Oops, that didn't sound too good.

Fruit juice isn't a trigger for you?

Maybe its the speed at which certain sugars get into your blood stream?

I think one thing that we all have in common is how uncommon and mysterious these damn things are.  There is definately not a sure fire way of attacking them.

SteveP
IP Logged
sueellen83
New Board Veteran
USA 

Shoot me and get it over with!!!!!

nsueellen83   nsueellen83
Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 12:28pm »

Hey, Tony,

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear the beast found your address again.  

I have also heard of nitrates and nitrites triggering headaches.  Canned and processed meats are full of this stuff.

Hope you have a short cycle. PFNAD.

Sue Ellen
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 8:49pm »

I tried to eliminate these with no success.    Opus Tongue
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
talitha
New Board Newbie

Walking by faith

Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 4:19pm »

okay y'all, I'm really serious when I say no sleep-no relaxation, until I can't hold my head up another second.  This is not a healthy way to live-and I'm gonna feel like a real idiot if y'all were joking about the "don't sleep, don't relax" stuff.
Alcohol used to trigger-but didn't cause the ch-haven't had any alcohol since 1998.  used to try to trigger ha's with the chocolate, nuts, aged cheese thing (tryamine?)
never triggered one.  
IP Logged
talitha
New Board Newbie

Walking by faith

Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 4:20pm »

okay y'all, I'm really serious when I say no sleep-no relaxation, until I can't hold my head up another second.  This is not a healthy way to live-and I'm gonna feel like a real idiot if y'all were joking about the "don't sleep, don't relax" stuff.
Alcohol used to trigger-but didn't cause the ch-haven't had any alcohol since 1998.  used to try to trigger ha's with the chocolate, nuts, aged cheese thing (tryamine?)
never triggered one.  
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #23 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 2:58am »

talitha,
Yes it was a serious suggestion.
Most CH sufferers report they get attacked an hour or so after falling asleep. That's about the time you enter the REM sleep mode (the deep sleep mode). Not much stress going on at that time.
Also. many, if not most, sufferers say the pain starts after a stressful day. Maybe when relaxing, watching the tube, kicked back in the La-Z-Boy.  
It has to do with the serotonin/nerotonin chemical changing going on during the relaxing time.
Of course the suggestion is impossible, sooner or later you're going to fall asleep whether you want to or not. And, speaking for myself, becoming over-tired is a trigger for me. Damned if you do, damned if you don't Sad

And alcohol does not cause clusters. The cause is a malfunction of the hypothalamus. Alcohol is only a trigger, probably the most common trigger.
IP Logged

hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 30th, 2002, 10:56am »

I know wine red wine and orange juice will kick my butt for sure, but the worst cycle I ever had came on after eating at Boston Market. I can't eat there, smell the food, or even watch there commercial without remembering how bad that dance was, and it was five years ago! Memory trigger?  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss