Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 9:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone tried Chiropracters? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone tried Chiropracters?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone tried Chiropracters?  (Read 423 times)
Kirsten

Email

Anyone tried Chiropracters?
« on: Jan 16th, 2003, 9:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Out of desperation (prednisone is tapering down and pain is ramping up), I went to see a chiropracter yesterday because I had seen a CH brochure in her ofice before I was diagnosed.  Just happened that an attack came on bigtime while waiting in the office so she got the full view.  (Why doesn't this happen when the M.D. asks if I tried Tylenol?)  Any way, she quickly did something to my neck and Instant relief.  A small HA later and one small this morning with shadows, but nothing like yesterday.  Coincidence?
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: Anyone tried Chiropracters?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 10:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yep - great for musculo-skeletal problems. Does absolutely nothing for the headaches. Been seeing one or another for over 15 years.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
ave

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 10:35am »

Try the search facility (button top right) and find an endless list of testimonials about chiropractors that did nothing for (or against) clusters.

IP Logged
rick
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 1:19pm »

Great for neck and back issues, not for CH.  I see one pretty regularly.

-R
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 3:31am »

I went to the Chiropracter right away before I even went to my dr after I started having clusters.  I thought he could help.  After 5 years of reg. seeing my Chiropracter for a variety of things I can say he has not done anything for my headaches. I am very glad I found a knowlegeable neurologist who knew about ch and diagnosed me on first visit.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 7:31am »

Hi Kirsten

I tried this years ago at the insistance of my doctor and it did bugger all for my CH. I did about 6 session so I did persevere with it. If it stopped one for you during a session thats great but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it if I was you. I think its probable the hA wnet away by itself, especially if you are one of those "lucky ones" whose ch only lasts a short time. Soem of us have them that last for hours and hours.

I am however a big fan of massage in general (not choropractic though) I like Swedish massage especiallyfor neck and back problems from office work. Very relaxing and an enjoyable treat and makes you feel good afterwards. I tried this too to break or relieve ch cycles in the past to no avail.

John

Good luck
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Kirsten

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 11:36am »

A post script - I figured this "cure" was too simplistic or else everyone would have done it.  (I had done the site search but it showed nothing - search engine or my spelling must have malfunctioned.  

However, since the chiro cracked my neck, I am finishing PFDAN #3 after three weeks of almost no breaks (I started off cycle with 20 minute attacks but they had lengthened to 3 hours).  I am taking verapam. but only 120 mg (blood pressure is low already).  I am afraid to hope, but am enjoying being able to think again for now and feel obligated to pass this possibility on.
IP Logged
Laurie

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 1:46pm »

My experience is similar to Brewcrew's.  I have been seeing chiropractors for 12 years for a poorly-healed soft tissue injury in my back.  Chiropractic definately reduces my back re-injury rate, but does nothing for my clusters.  Ditto for massage.  To reduce my dependence on chiropractors, I now do (and teach) yoga, which also does nothing to help my clusters.

Laurie
IP Logged
K.
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 3:37pm »

Sorry to add....but chiropractors have never helped me either when it comes to CH. It gets expensive over the long run too. Chiropractors are good for neck and back issues...at least have been for me. But that's about it.

Wishing you PFDAN soon!
K.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 1:46pm »

Hi Laurie

I have been practising Iyenga yoga myself on and off for over 30 years and found it too does nothing much for the ch. I had a very long break from it until May last year after my last cycle broke and went on a bit of a health kick. I find it does help to reduce stress, and keep you fit to stretch and increase flexibility especially as you get older. I try and do 30 mins most mornings after I drag my body out of bed before going to work and it definately helps avoid the "need" for massage and chiro, but I still enjoy the massages anyway  Smiley

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Hunny

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 10:09pm »

Everyone please be very wary when using a chiropractor.  This isn't ch related but...

I have one more lumbar vertabrae than I'm supposed to.  I've always had back trouble and over the years I have used a chiropractor when the discs got out of line and I was in pain.  Especially when the kids were little and I carried them around.

This past Aug. I lifted my grandson and really did a job on my back.  Hurt like a son of a gun.  Went to the chiropractor and did the x-rays etc.  One disk was bulging.  During the 6th or 7th visit I could tell when I was walking to my car that something was wrong.

I ended up with THREE herniated discs instead of one, didn't walk for 6 weeks (literally dragged my legs while holding on to something or someone) and didn't sit in a chair for over 2 months.  I'm still in physical therapy - 5 months later.

It only takes a millimeter for it to go from feeling good to making your life a living hell on earth. (not as bad as ch but pretty damn bad).

Be  careful.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss