Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 8:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What is a non rebreather mask? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   What is a non rebreather mask?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What is a non rebreather mask?  (Read 392 times)
K.
New Board Veteran
USA 

What is a non rebreather mask?
« on: Jan 19th, 2003, 2:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I use a mask but it has little holes in each side. I have to use a flow rate of 10L/M for about 15 minutes to get relief. This medical supply company I'm using right now has cheap masks too, they don't fit very tight. Any suggestions?
K.
IP Logged
Not4Hire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

...WAS PF since Oct.'02, but ...oh my...(CBusters)

Email

An oxygen primer...again
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 2:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hope this helps!....I tried to find the original post with SEARCH...no joy.... DJ musta had it surgically removed-LOL! I wrote this for the CH group in Spain.

Hello, my fellow sufferers.....I am a gringo who has some good advice about the use of oxygen as an abortive for cluster headaches. It is VERY important that this be used correctly and safely, because there ARE risks and it is important that this is understood. The air we breathe is composed of approximately 79% nitrogen and 19% ambient oxygen-the other 1-2 % is rare gasses like argon, ozone, carbon monoxide (if you live in the city  Grin) , etc.

The benefits of oxygen therapy for sufferers of CH is clearly documented and can be a very great help in diminishing the horrible effect of this malady. It is important to start the therapy at the very first sign of an onset of the headache. The sooner, the better. If you wait, you will suffer more.  

You must have a place that has NO open flames- NO SMOKING cigarettes, NO candles, NO fire! Oxygen can saturate your clothing, bedsheets, etc. and then catch on fire when you light a match. Be very careful and wait awhile before smoking.

You must have the proper delivery system: an oxygen supply (tank of oxygen--preferably medical grade), a NON-REBREATHER mask- the type that covers your mouth and nose and has a bag below to conserve the pure oxygen (NOT the tubes that go into your nostrils!),  

a “bubbler” bottle that adds moisture to the oxygen will help your sinuses and throat from dryness and irritation,

a regulator that will deliver up to 15 liters per minute (10-12LPM is usually enough, less will not be as effective),

and it is important that you cut off any elastic band that will hold the mask onto your face--if you fall asleep with the mask attached, you may suffocate if the oxygen supply runs out. If this happens, it is important that the mask falls away so that you may breathe regular air. Your body will protect you to survive.

The amount of time to breathe the oxygen is important, also. If you do not get relief in 15-20 minutes, you will probably not get relief by further use. Keep trying!

In respect to costs: medical grade oxygen is purified with filtration systems and can be very expensive. However, the companies that produce oxygen do not have separate systems for welders or for hospitals. Impure oxygen is not cost-effective. Welders need pure oxygen in the same way as do hospitals. The inspection of the tanks is the only difference. Impure oxygen makes bad welds--impure oxygen can also make you sick. Oxygen is SAFE...if used correctly.

In the USA, it is necessary to have a prescription from your doctor to use oxygen. In other countries, it may be the same. But this therapy is VERY effective. Please encourage your doctor to prescribe it and teach you to use it effectively. It is a blessing.

Fight the beast with this method and I am sure it will help.

If you have any questions, please contact me. I will try to to help you use this excellent method--which has very little side effects--IF USED PROPERLY!  

I wish to thank my friend, Peppermint, for translating my words from English into Spanish, because I know that this terrible affliction knows no language but PAIN. Together we may conquer,  or at least, lessen the awful effects.  

Your friend and brother......Steve (Not4Hire)

Here's a pic of the mask:
IP Logged

Mantra: This will NOT kill me...This will not KILL me... This will not kill ME...
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss