Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 12:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Botox & quitting smoking »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Botox & quitting smoking
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Botox & quitting smoking  (Read 382 times)
KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

Botox & quitting smoking
« on: Nov 5th, 2003, 12:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone,

I have had botox injections administered by a neurologist every three months for episodic CH and I also quit smoking in March of 2002.  I had a pretty mellow cycle last year so I thought maybe one or the other might have helped.  After this year, I can pretty much say they haven't.  

Some cycles really stink.  This cycle really stinks.  I am so over this.  I have my imitrex so the days are okay because I treat myself at the first twinge, but at night I am already rolling pretty hard so it takes about twenty five minutes with the half dose.  I am so tired of getting up every night.  Last night I just kept thinking how bizarre it is to be in so much pain that you can't cry.

Oh well, it has been six weeks, three days... the end is near.

Wanted to pass the info along and as always, Thanks for listening.  

Karyn
IP Logged

If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, If you want to be somebody else, Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Botox & quitting smoking
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 3:35pm »

on Nov 5th, 2003, 12:53pm, KarynG wrote:

Some cycles really stink.  

They all stink. Some just stink more than others.

Have you tried any preventative meds?

Sorry the Botox didn't work for the clusters but how are your wrinkles?   Wink
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 5:14pm »

I tried botox and it got rid of my migraines but not my clusters.  I am going in for another series of injections next month.  I hope you find something that gives you relief soon.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
jflynn
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 5:23pm »

I quit smoking about 2 years ago and if anything my CH got worse.  Stimulants like nicotine and caffeine help my CH so that's my theory as to why.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 5:57pm »

It's been said many times here and elsewhere that quitting smoking will not cure CH nor will it prevent future episodes.  Most docs will tell you to quit smoking every chance you give them to do so.  It doesn't matter if you are going in for a cold, or a broken arm...they always suggest quitting smoking.
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
thomas

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 5th, 2003, 6:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey Doc, it hurts when I pee.  Doc says "Smoking cigarettes does increase the amount of razor blades in your bladder.  You really should quit those things." laugh
IP Logged
ave
New Board Hall of Famer
Netherlands 

She is beside herself; her favourite position

« Reply #6 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 7:38am »

Gee, Thomas, does one smoke razorblades? made up in cigarette paper or in a pipe?

IP Logged

There is a break in reality. Do not adjust your mind.
thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 8:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just pointing out the fact that the medical community makes us smokers feel like a bunch of little idiot children every chance that they get.
IP Logged
KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 6:50pm »

Bob,

I tried prednisone six weeks ago and Verapamil as preventatives.  I think the prednisone dosage was just way too low to be effective and the Verapamil gave me an irregular heartbeat which then gave me panic attacks.  I had a life threatening situation with my heart several years ago and my body reacts to any change in the beat by having a panic attack.  I was only having CH every couple of days when I was taking the Verapamil so if I could have tolerated the daily discomfort and increased the dosage it probably would have worked.  

My doctor called me last night and said the military has changed its policy and will no longer provide Imitrex as needed, but a maximum of two boxes every ten days.  I can stock up during the year for my next cycle, but I will probably run out this time at the rate I am going even dividing them.  The doctor said if I ran out before I could refill the Imitrex and needed pain relief I would have to be hospitilized and given DHE.  I still have nightmares about the week in the hospital with my first cycle and that was seven years ago.  For Joy.  Have a call in to ask about Clomid but I doubt they will go for it.

For the record, my wrinkles (or lack therof) are fabulous, thanks.  Smiley

K

IP Logged

If you want to be somebody else, If you're tired of fighting battles with yourself, If you want to be somebody else, Change Your Mind
Sister Hazel
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 6:54pm »

on Nov 6th, 2003, 6:50pm, KarynG wrote:
My doctor called me last night and said the military has changed its policy and will no longer provide Imitrex as needed, but a maximum of two boxes every ten days.

Not sure what military you are referring to, but I just picked up 8 boxes...not a refill either.
IP Logged

KarynG
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 7:01pm »

I am seen at Portsmith Naval Hospital in Portsmith, VA.  But I had the same problem at Langley Air Force Base also in Virginia.  My neuro called the pharmacy at the hospital and tried to overide it and they still refused saying it was the new policy and even the MD couldn't change it.  I assume it is Tricare that is balking.

If you are also Tricare, you are in a different region being on the West coast and may not be affected yet is all I can figure.  ???
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2003, 7:04pm by KarynG » IP Logged

Sister Hazel
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 6th, 2003, 7:09pm »

Visit your tricare office (avoid the phone unless it isn't practical) and ask them how you can file a complaint for a refusal of medical treatment.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss