Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 3:48am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Acupuncture and Diets »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   Acupuncture and Diets
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Acupuncture and Diets  (Read 516 times)
simplevox
New Board Newbie
USA 

greenbride2004  
Email

Acupuncture and Diets
« on: Nov 18th, 2003, 6:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone here ever tried acupuncture to stop CH?  I have gone to a new wellness doc and he seems to think that acupuncture, a diet specific to my blood type, and some supplements for vessel care can cure my CH.  I have only been once and have only been on the diet and supplements for 1 1/2 weeks and I am still getting hit with CH, but I go back for another acupuncture treatment on Thursday.  I am starting to lose hope, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this... Huh
IP Logged

Simplevox
thomas

Email

Re: Acupuncture and Diets
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 6:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Nope, not me. Smiley
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 6:57pm »

I firmly don't believe in the diet for the blood type.  Blood type has nothing to do with this.  As for acupuncture, it might not take them away, but it suppose to be very relaxing.  

Be careful though, alot of therapists who perform acupuncture, reflexology and so forth operate on the "you have to keep coming back system."  You could be taken for quite a bit of money.  Make sure he has good credentials and you can even get references.

I learned all of this working for a chiropractor!    laugh laughlaugh
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 7:05pm »

on Nov 18th, 2003, 6:26pm, simplevox wrote:
I have gone to a new wellness doc and he seems to think that acupuncture, a diet specific to my blood type, and some supplements for vessel care can cure my CH.  

...and there's a dude named Ali that floats around these boards claiming he can cure CH, migraines and all sorts of other shit with a simple surgery and/or pressure on certain "spots" on your head.  Believe what you want...there are many of us who try tons of off the wall crap to find relief, and because of the almighty dollar, there are many who claim they can "help" you.  Try wearing magnets around your head...  I'm sticking with the trex.   Grin
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 7:19pm »

Didn't someone here put blue cheese up their nose?

IMHO, probably about as much use and definitely cheaper

Wendy
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2003, 8:05pm »

on Nov 18th, 2003, 7:19pm, pubgirl wrote:
Didn't someone here put blue cheese up their nose?  

LMAO!  Among other things I am sure...   Grin
IP Logged

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 12:34am »

Click on the blue below

http://www.quackwatch.org/

then scroll down to the subjects you want to know about................

Only you can decide what is good for your treatment.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 4:44am »

Hi there simplevox! Smiley

I think it's good to try several things in finding a cure for ch. I've heard that acupuncture works for migraines, but haven't heard that it would cure ch.  
But hey, we're all different, so different things can work! Personally, if I could cure my ch without pills, that would be wonderful! Smiley

Good luck to you anyway! Cheesy

Best wishes & PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:43am »

Diet based on blood type is on par with the 1970's theory of biorhythms (based on when a person is born, unchanged for a persons entire life- sorry if no one remembers that great theory - it faded for good reason).  

It is true that there are genetic factors that could affect clusters - like the HLA marker that is associated with not being able to keep magnesium in the body. There are other HLA (human lymphocyte antigen) markers that partially predict lots of diseases.   But the thousands of genes that affect response to diet are not a simple function of two genes (A/B/0 and Rh+/Rh-).  There might be a partial correlation between a gene and a blood type, but there is no proof that blood type is a good predictor of body type/diet.  I would put the blood type diet in the same class as the old biorhythm theory - start with a scientific concept,  keep it simple and take it far beyond the existing evidence, make money by selling a book.  

IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 9:47am »

Quote:
... some supplements for vessel care ...

This might be useful, depending on which supplements. There are lots of foods and supplements that do affect the vascular system.  Some might improve clusters, some might make it worse. There is no general agreement on this topic, and still lots to learn. Keep us posted with your experience.
IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Let's try and find some ANSWERS!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 12:00pm »

Oh well, I might as well reply on this, even though I expect to be shot on the spot ....  Lips Sealed

Yes , we tried acupuncture for Jos' clusters. We tried it as a preventative AND during this last cycle he has tried to continue it.

Preventative: nope, it did not prevent a new cluster. However, the start of this new cluster was only half in severity then the last cluster. For a few weeks he was having reasonably mild attacks. Then after these weeks he went back to his old pattern of 1 attack per 3 hours and straight 10's on the scale.

Because of that he even tried to have acupuncture to kill the attacks. The effect was that FIRST it got BAD, the first night after the treatment was a nightmare from HELL. Then it sort of relieved for a couple of days. Jos has tried it twice, but the first effect was so scary that he decided not to go on with that, and try to find another remedy.  

The acupuncturist, who is a head-expert, sais there are cluster patients, who benefit from having treatments during attacks, even during the attack itsself  Huh Undecided Huh, Jos wouldn't even DARE having someone sticks a needle in his head when he's having a 10, if she wants to die she should try ... hee hee, not a CHANCE!

So ... it's 50/50 for us.
IP Logged
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 8:12pm »

on Nov 19th, 2003, 12:00pm, HannahFroukje wrote:
The acupuncturist, who is a head-expert, sais there are cluster patients, who benefit from having treatments during attacks, even during the attack itsself    , Jos wouldn't even DARE having someone sticks a needle in his head when he's having a 10, if she wants to die she should try ... hee hee, not a CHANCE!  

He better be damn good at hitting a moving target if he tried that on me with a 10...hell, even an 8!   Grin
IP Logged

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19th, 2003, 10:12pm »

Hannah

I'm sorry I'm an awful cynic, but my immediate question to the acupuncurist would be:

"That IS good news, may I contact these people for a testimonial to the effectiveness of the treatment"

Bet the addresses of the people who had acupuncture during an attack are "ex-directory" as it were.
IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 1:21am »

Ehm ... yes ... perhaps  

There was no question about it that she desperately wanted to help, and she tried and tried to make it better on him. We could always call her and get an appointment in her (very full) practise. So I feel as if we owe her a lot, EVEN if it didn't help, she tried so hard. From Jos' reaction she said we'd better stop the treatment because the body is just too reactive to stick needles in, for a while.  

Jos had been wanting to go on at first because previously he had noticed that (when he was in the preventative treatment) when she stuck the needles in the right place he could feel the "pressure flowing out of his head" and that felt really good to him. By the way: jos is the "constructionworker" kind of guy , he's hardly the floaty philosophical type. So if he says he feels something, he feels something. Unfortunately didn't break of the attacks we had hoped for that  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed. When his body became to reactive, he realised it was no use to go on, and he grew afraid of the reactions so we stopped.

But when I come to think of it, I think the real problem is that people think they see cluster headache, while it's a migraine. And too, that people who have migraines say they've got clusterheadache. I never got the idea that she really knew WHAT it was. I had been thinking about asking her for contacts, I would like to contact those people.

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2003, 1:53am by HannahFroukje » IP Logged
floridian

Email

A few thoughts on Accupuncture
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 11:30am »

A pubmed search for "accupuncture hypothalamus" returns 180 hits.  Not all of these are relevant, but there are studies that show that:

1) accupuncture on specific points can activate the hypothalamus in PET and MR scans.
2) accupuncture can reduce Interleukins in the hypothalamus.
3) accupuncture can increase serotonin in the lateral hypothalamus.  
4) accupuncture can improve the function of the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis

I don't doubt the people that say that accupuncture did nothing for their headaches, or that it made their headaches worse.  Just getting accupuncture is like just taking a medicine - if its not the right medicine, it could do nothing or make the problem worse. 90+ percent of 'regular' doctors don't know much about cluster headaches, and its not likely that the average accupuncturist would know more. But the idea that some particular type of accupuncture treatment could help is consistent with the medical research.  

IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 20th, 2003, 1:36pm »

Yep, could not agree more.  Grin
Just pity that it didn't help for us, that's all.
He will be going back for treatment though after his cycle is over, he felt good with the treatment.
IP Logged
simplevox
New Board Newbie
USA 

greenbride2004  
Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 10:05am »

Well, I had the acupuncture treatment Thursday morning and also an abdomen massage. This doc seems to think that my lymph nodes in my abdomen aren't draining for some reason and that is the source of my cluster headaches. He said it would take several hours for the treatment to work.  I had been suffering with about a level 4-5 shadow headache since 2:00 on Wednesday and abut 5:00 Thursday evening, the headache just melted away... just like the doc said it would.  I had a pain free evening and night... until 6:00 this morning when I woke up with another CH.  I took my Zomig and after an hour it went away. I have emailed the doc to tell him the headache came back... he is supposed to be sending me some more things to try. Maybe it was just a temporary fix... but I felt GREAT last night. The supplements I am taking (in case anyone is interested) are 5-Hydroxy L-Tryptophan, Vessel care (combination of Actifolate, B6, B12, trimethylglycine and choline) and SPA/DHA Complex (essential fatty acids from cold water fish).  

I'll keep you posted as I journey on...
IP Logged

Simplevox
thomas

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 10:15am »

Glad you got some sleep Grin
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 12:59pm »

Floridian, do you have any information about what food is best or worst for the vascular system?  I would be very interested if you do.
IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 2:42pm »

If I may ask, for how long have you been taken this med's simplevox? Did you take'm before the acupuncture treatment or did he prescribe them?

Which regions in your abdomen did he massage? The lower area of the belly near the pelvic region? Just being curious from a student's point of view.

I'm glad you felt good at least for a while!!!

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2003, 2:43pm by HannahFroukje » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 21st, 2003, 4:41pm »

Flavonoids (in tea, potatos, apples, onions, etc) are good for general strengthening of the blood vessels.  Grape seed extract and hawthorne contain polimeric proanthocyanidins, which also strengthen the blood vessels, and have other effects.  Hawthorn is used for strengthening the heart (as an adjunct in congestive heart failure) and lowering blood pressure.  There are two classes of compounds in gingko - flavonoids and bilobalides.  Citrus bioflavonoids are noted for improving the vascular tissues (although a few people report citrus as a trigger, and most of the bioflavinoids are actually in the pulp, not the fruit).  

Am also working on a thread where the balance of 2 amino acids (lysine/arginine) may be important for identifying triggers.  Arginine can be metabolized to increase nitric oxide, while lysine has the opposite effect.  I saw one table that ranked common foods by this ratio, and on one end of the table were most of the common migraine triggers. Yeah, I know that clusters aren't migraines, but they are somewhat related.  And the nitric oxide effect is real, as demonstrated by alcohol and nitroglycerin being reliable triggers, along with elevated NO being measured during CH attacks.  

There are also several articles that show that clusterheads have high levels of antibodies to the epstein-bar virus, and lysine partially supresses epstein-bar and herpes type viruses, while arginine seems to encourage them.  So maybe its a food->Nitric Oxide->CH mechanism, or  food->virus->inflammation->CH mechanism, or both, or neither.  Only time will tell.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2003, 4:46pm by floridian » IP Logged
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 22nd, 2003, 3:32am »

(please those of you who do not like homeopathy, skip this one  Grin).

I've been reading your posts with interest Floridian. I wish I had all the access to those research stuff you're coming up with, I would like to have a peek and get some background info from it for my own study. Are you peeling all this stuff from the internet? You must have quite a background in it too.

Just my two cents on theories here. I will mention names but be utterly utterly careful to use them on yourself, do NOT go into homeopathics without any knowledge of it, you could easily make things worse if you pick the wrong one, you all got sensitive bodies you know!

When I was trying to find certain remedies that would help Jos in his cycle, the BEST working remedies were all mineral remedies like ... where it didn't even matter so much which one I took. I've mentioned before that the effect was only temporary, sometimes astonishing but not always without side effects too. Like he would have no attacks, but a splitting headache instead of it. Or the attacks would stop and he would get a migraine with vomiting instead. Sometimes the attacks would just stop. This all with MINERAL remedies like I said. Second group was herbal remedies but these were also each and every time herbals that had a lot of minerals in'em. Third group was a direct shot, since there's a lot of pressure on the brain in CH, I wondered if a remedy for swellings would help and I used apis. This killed one attack (left him with a headache, but the attack melted away), but only once, I could not repeat it.  

This is my riddle I have to solve, WHY do these remedies work so well, BUT so temporarily??? I have reason to believe this is the case in more CH-patients, the results on homepathy seem to be poor. I think the body is pretty much USED to a wrong mineralbalance or any other balance, and it's trying to "get back to the wrong balance" because it's used to it. So if you bring in something homeopathic, it will correct for a while, person feels okay, but the body will still think "uh oh, this is NOT good, I've got the wrong balance" and start correcting it therefore the remedy will not work again. I need to find something that will tell the body that it's not doing stuff right, I will have to look BEHIND it, but haven't found it yet. It always comes down to the hypothalamus if you ask me, there's something terribly wrong with the regulation of balances. It is so frustrating to have a few days of glorious rest and then gradually it starts again. And by now I've tried all the good ones, and am left with nothing to try anymore.

Oh, one pretty safe tip for those of you who want to try. With some people (not with Jos, but he 's a real heavy case I think) Arnica D2 helps. I think in Amerika it's called CH2 or 2CH, not sure, anyway it's a LOW potency of Arnica, any drugstore will know what you mean. Take the globules, without alcohol in 'em. Start taking it when you feel the first signs of a CH, it improves bloodflow and with some people they can kill all their attacks just by taking this simple stuff (I repeat: not with us). Be careful with trying the other stuff Apis, you could have a temporary worse case. It's cheap too.

Other remedy names are more specific, but these two work directly on either the bloodflow or the swelling of the brain. Don't take them together unless you have sorted out your own case well.

Don't shoot me if it doesn't work for you. Most will have heard of this tip before, isn't it???
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2003, 3:37am by HannahFroukje » IP Logged
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:58am »

Never tried Acupuncture. My wife always tries to get me to go.  Roll Eyes
It seams like it wouldn't work unless you knew a CH was on the way while your sitting there waiting your turn.  Cool
I went to the chiropractor for 3 years. Waste of money. I tried going with & without CH. Once in awhile one would go away, probably just luck I think.  Tongue

GOOD LUCK !

If it works (fingers crossed for you) post back.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss