Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DHE IV ???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   DHE IV ????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DHE IV ????  (Read 5106 times)
BlueMeanie

Email

DHE IV ????
« on: Dec 11th, 2003, 11:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I remember years ago my Neuro was gonna put me in the hospitol for a couple of days to break my cycle. After reading posts on this site, I believe it was to try DHE IV injections. Has anyone out there ever went to the hospital for this treatment ? I want to give it a try next week, but know nothing about it.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: DHE IV ????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 9:10am »

I didn't do the in-patient thing.  I had it done in the er for about 20 min. a couple of years ago.  It broke my cycle - what a beast killer.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 9:12am »

What is DHE?
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 9:18am »

Beast-killer of the highest order - Dihydroergotamine.
IP Logged
Paigelle

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2003, 9:27am »

You gotta love a beast killer!
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 2:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey there blue,
I have gone inpatient for DHE treatments 5 times, and I am going in for my 6th time at the end of this month.  Actually, for me they do more than just DHE because I have new daily persistent headache.  
I also use DHE intramuscular injections as an abortive for severe headaches.  They usually work pretty well, though not when my headache is very very bad for a long time.  My headache tends to get immune to all of its treatments.  They work for a month or two and then no more.  
DHE works off and on for me.  In the hospital it wiill knock my headache down some, but then it would get stuck in the midrange of chronic daily headache for me, and I always wind up needing more intense treatment to break my headaches.
It does help me a lot when I'm feeling better and I use it as a normal abortive as injection though!  Hey it's worth a shot!  No pun intended  Wink (Booooo I know...bad joke  Roll Eyes )
~Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 9:54am »

I've had it a dozen times. It always works to stop the headaches for me...but only temporarly. The headaches usually return within a short period of time >  but I still like the break from the beast.  
I also use DHE IM injections at home. It's not as good as the Imitrex (in my opinion), but I don't have to use as much of it.
DHE makes me sick if I don't take Phenegren or something with it. Better ask for it. Also, make sure your IV site is a good one. DHE will damage your skin and hurt like a bitch if it leaks out of the vein.

Goodluck and hope it works for you

Unsolved
IP Logged

I need a fully automatic Imitrex injector
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:10am »

Hey Unsolved,
When you get it IV, is it pushed or hung in a bag?  A lot of people in hosp or outpatient infusion clinic get their DHE pushed right into the IV, but I can't tolerate that because of all the nausea.  I get reglan with my DHE, and I also get it hung in a bag where it is mixed with saline to dilute it so it is not so killer on me when it first goes in.  This doesn't make it any  less effective...just less nauseating.  A lot of times I still get sick despite all these measure, though. Sad  I can't take phenergan IV because it blows my veins...bummer.  But I usually start with reglan and then switch to zofran.  Zofran works well a lot of times but often then I need some malox on top of my prilosec to help with the acid reflux SE from all the IV meds I get...don't know if DHE causes this or if it is other meds I get. I have never gotten JUST dhe IV by itself.  
~Lizz  Smiley
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 10:11am »

Hey Unsolved,
When you get it IV, is it pushed or hung in a bag?  A lot of people in hosp or outpatient infusion clinic get their DHE pushed right into the IV, but I can't tolerate that because of all the nausea.  I get reglan with my DHE, and I also get it hung in a bag where it is mixed with saline to dilute it so it is not so killer on me when it first goes in.  This doesn't make it any  less effective...just less nauseating.  A lot of times I still get sick despite all these measure, though. Sad  I can't take phenergan IV because it blows my veins...bummer.  But I usually start with reglan and then switch to zofran.  Zofran works well a lot of times but often then I need some malox on top of my prilosec to help with the acid reflux SE from all the IV meds I get...don't know if DHE causes this or if it is other meds I get. I have never gotten JUST dhe IV by itself.  
~Lizz  Smiley
IP Logged

Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13th, 2003, 7:30pm »

I get my DHE pushed into an IV every 8 hours. I used to work my way up to a full 1 mg dose but I can no longer handle that. (I'll get sick, no matter what) I now just get a 1/2 mg dose. It still works and reduces the nausea quite a bit ( although I still take a Phenegren 25 mg pill about 30 - 45 minutes before each DHE dose)
I finally got my own vials of DHE which I take IM daily. I still need the Phenegren too.
I've heard of some getting DHE diluted in a bag and dripped in, but i've never had it that way. Either way, you can't take it in an IV for very long...it will cause other problems. ( I know my knees, legs, ankles, and muscles in my legs were killing me after about 5 days of getting DHE. )
I still love to go to the hospital for a few days of DHE. It is a much deserved break from the beast.

Solu Medrol .. Solu Cortez (sp) also gives me a break from the HA's .. but also have their own list of side effects.

Unsolved
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2003, 7:32pm by Unsolved » IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 1:58am »

Hey Unsolved,
I am usually in hosp for about 2 weeks when I go in and they try a bunch of stuff including DHE for several days, salumedrol, depacon, droperidol, magnesium, and most recently this last time they did IV lidocaine.  Oh they usually do IV thorazine.  I forget what all else they do.  You should ask for the DHE in a bag... maybe then you could get the full 1cc (mg).  In the hosp, they do 1/2 at first, and if that doesn't help, then they do the other 1/2.  Then 8 hours later they do a whole one.  And they continue with 1cc every 8 hrs.  I always get an anti-nausea when I get it in the hospital, but I do not use one when using the IM shots at home.  I should though because it makes me really really nauseous!  I will have to ask my neuro about that!
~Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 14th, 2003, 8:34pm »

I used to always ask for the DHE while in the hospital. Now, I'd almost prefer the steriods. They have alot of nasty side effects, but really...I don't care. I'd rather put on some weight. I just don't want to go through the next headache.  Cry
Even at home, the DHE IM injections make me feel sick...but they'll prevent the next headache (if I take it everyday).  
You said you usually go in for 2 weeks ... I just got out the other day. I spent 13 days in getting SoluMedrol then SoluCortez and DHE. The first night there, they couldn't get an IV started (no more veins left), so they had to call in "the pic line guy". It took him 4 hours to get there and a major headache started before he could get there. 3 nasal sprays of Stadol did NOTHING. Then...I finally got my 'pic line' so they gave me 2 mg of Stadol via IV...still...Nothing ... NO RELIEF ...  
I would've gave my kingdom for an Imitrex injection !! Grin

Unsolved
IP Logged

Mikey
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Rock till ya Drop and DON'T mess with the FAM!!!!!

MGuitarM
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 3:40pm »

I've done the DHE IV push, many times as an inpatient for a week at a time.  Sometimes it helps, and sometimes it don't, but when it helps, it helps.  I'm chronic with Chs and migraines.

I'll tell ya one thing though, like Unsolved said, you better ask for phenergan cause each and everytime i've had it, it made me sick as hell!!  It's also really bad on your IV site too.  Everytime i get it i go through all of the available sites, and end up with a PIC line put in.

I'm not trying to scare ya, just want you to be informed as everyone else here does.

Mikey,  Grin
IP Logged

I love to ROCK very HARD!!!

CHRONIC and going crazy!! Want to come too?

Hope for PFDAN, peace and safety to you all!!
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 5:05pm »

ok so yeah i attempted the picc line thing...and wound up with a picc line horror story!!  when they put it in, the picc line wound up going up the carotid up my neck instead of down towards my heart....well that was just not a good thing!  
so my neuro ordered a central line to be put in because i really couldn't get another IV.  i waited all day for the central line without meds.  i was in really bad pain, and they didn't come.  finally at the end of the day this young neuro resident comes up and tells me that i'm not a high priority and that's why they're not coming.  Angry  gee, thanks.
i was getting fed up with the whole thing, so i asked her what would happen if i just went home with the picc line in since they still hadn't removed it, and it was 4th of july weekend, and i had gone all day without meds and wasn't getting any help.  she told me if i went home, they would send the cops to my house to bring me back here because the picc line was dangerous.  so why not take it out, i ask??  she says that she thinks she can put an IV in my foot no problem...oh great, my foot.  so she attempts and after 5 minutes of not getting it..i finally yelled "OW!"  she said, "oh i guess it wasn't as easy as i thought...."  i wanted to kick her in the face...
this awesome nurse i had finally wound up putting in 2 IVs that blew within the next couple of hours, but at least i got meds for a little bit more.  the day before i left, i went through 4 more IVs.  that plus a few other mistakes made it the worst hospital stay i've had yet.
i would have complained more loudly, but i was an employee!! i wanted to keep my job.  Wink

Unsolved, did you get any relief by the time you left??

~Lizzie  Smiley
IP Logged

BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 15th, 2003, 6:11pm »

After reading these horror stories, I think i'm not gonna ask the doc when i see him on the 23rd. Thanks for the info. Maybe clusterbusters is a better idea.
IP Logged
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 22nd, 2003, 1:42pm »

Don't let the 'horror stories' scare you. If you are in real pain and the beast won't leave you alone, DHE IV is worth a try. It may break the cycle or at least give you a few days break from the horrible headaches. I'm not sorry I tried it and will do it again.

I've been in the hospital for most of the past month getting DHE, SoluMedrol, and a bunch of other drugs. It's been the only way to get a little peace. Don't know how much longer I'll be able to keep this up though  Sad

Unsolved
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 22nd, 2003, 6:06pm »

I agree Blue...I'm starting yet another round of IV DHE on the 29th...decent to give it a shot even if it has a chance of helping!  I always try again no matter how it goes!
~Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Georgia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If ya don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree.

pixieprincess_una   georgiacze
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 26th, 2003, 3:25am »

Just the mention of DHE makes my skin crawl....

here's what I went through after the in-patient treatment:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/wwwboard/messages/89366.html

Peace and love,
Georgia
IP Logged

la la lala la la.....(its the theme song from the smurfs in case you couldn't tell) Need a smile? Click here: http://users.compaqnet.be/cn174277/Smurfs%20-%20Smurf%20Theme%20Song.mp3
Unsolved
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I'm still alive ?

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 26th, 2003, 8:10pm »

Quote:
I spent 5 days in the hospital getting an IV of DHE-45, and during those 5 days I was pain free. I truly appreciated the break.

Grin
How could that make your skin crawl ?

Unsolved
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss