Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 4:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « accupuncture »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   accupuncture
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: accupuncture  (Read 1079 times)
bamjd
New Board Newbie
USA 

the cluster head from HELL

Email

accupuncture
« on: Jan 7th, 2004, 5:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

EmbarassedHas anyone had any luck with accupuncture?
IP Logged

May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

Re: accupuncture
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 6:03pm »

Not really.

Acupuncture, Qigong, and "Chinese Medicine"
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 7:21pm »

NOPE.

And I've tried it several times, and once for 18 weeks consistently.  Did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for my head.  I can't remember reading a post from anybody here that has gotten relief from it.
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Let's try and find some ANSWERS!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 9:52pm »

We tried it, but although Jos felt good with the treatment his cycle still came back. He tried it during cycle but that didn't seem like a good idea at all.

Another thing that's related to acupuncture and perhaps more effective is doing Qi Kong or Tai Chi exercises. We just met someone who does that for clusterheadache, and he has noticed a very good effect. Ofcourse you would still have to learn the exercises first for the effect to come out, and one person is no "proof" but if it interests you perhaps it's an idea.
IP Logged
bamjd
New Board Newbie
USA 

the cluster head from HELL

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2004, 5:03pm »

tanks everyone for the help, it sounds kind of iffy though.
IP Logged

May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 12:42am »

I did acupuncture 4 times before my most recent hospital stay.  It didn't effect my clusters at all.  It would bring my new daily persistent headache down like 4 numbers on the pain scale during treatment, but then about 2 hours later, it would shoot back up.  According to the guy I go to, this is a good sign that something is happening and it will just take a lot longer.  I don't know how I really feel about it.  I may try it for a bit longer, but I don't know.

My neuro said that it doesn't seem like there has been any conclusive evidence that acupuncture has really been helpful for headaches, but they don't discourage it.  If you tried it and found it worked...then woohoo!  It just doesn't seem to work for most people.  I'm not giving up on it totally yet, but so far I'm just not sure how I feel about it.  Hope this helps!

~Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 6:09am »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 12:42am, chronic_chic wrote:
 According to the guy I go to, this is a good sign that something is happening and it will just take a lot longer.  

My neuro said that it doesn't seem like there has been any conclusive evidence that acupuncture has really been helpful for headaches, but they don't discourage it.  
~Lizzie Smiley

The first sentence translates to "The longer it takes the more money she'll spend on this useless procedure".

The second sentence translates to "I know it's a useless procedure but I won't discourage it because I'd get my ass sued off"
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2004, 9:23am by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:00am »

LOL Bob  Grin

To each his own...really.... Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:01am by Lizzie2 » IP Logged

HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 4:57pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 6:09am, BobG wrote:

The first sentence translates to "The longer it takes the more money she'll spend on this useless procedure".

This sounds a lot like you feel like all people practising something which is not-regular medicine are money hunters not interested in helping people at ALL .....

IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 5:03pm »

Hannah,

I thought about that very same thing when I talked about it with my grandparents the other day.  I have spent probably hundreds of thousands of dollars on neurologists now.  Yea, it's come from my insurance company.  But who's paying the insurance company?  My family.  I don't give up on my neuro even though it has been over 3 years of no relief of pain.
The acupuncturist said it may take a year.  Well....if my neuro told me it may take a year, I would just say ok let's get to it.  When someone from another non-western field of medicine says it may take a year we look at them like, "What are you, nuts?"  It all seems funny to me how viewpoints change depending on what it is about.

~Lizz
IP Logged

Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 5:21pm »

I don't recall seeing any type of study with accupuncture and CH.  Additionally, I have seen numerous folks here post negatively (from experience) about it working on their CH...

I'll keep my money for now.

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 5:23pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 5:03pm, chronic_chic wrote:
Well....if my neuro told me it may take a year, I would just say ok let's get to it.

I'd say "piss off" and move to another neuro...
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
edel
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 7:54pm »

My experience with acupuncture is good and bad. This week after about 3 sessions, the cluster headache turned less and after the eight session I was back to 95 percent normal. It depends on who the doctor is. Cheesy
IP Logged
ronnieK
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 11:55am »

Accupuncture-- did not work for me at all.

Besides the CH pain, I also had the needle pain on my head and toe
I believe a  lot of asian would choose this method, but I think accupuncture helps dealing with nerve problems, indigesting (a must!), paralized from one side of the body--i forget what this is called( must be the ancient method of accupuncture). But not clustered headaches---my opinion.

RonnieK
IP Logged
Jayne
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Pull my finger!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 2:28pm »

I agree with Prense
I would find a new Nuero
IP Logged

If you haven't laughed today, it's been a wasted day. Smiley
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 6:49pm »

all i will say in reference to finding a new neuro is that i don't just have ch.  i have ch and another headache condition.  it can't just be solved in one visit, and sometimes it honestly does take years to find the right combination to help it.  have recently met someone at a different headache clinic who has similar headache condition who first got relief after 8 years.  for this particular headache condition, sometimes sticking it out for the long haul with a neuro who really knows your condition well and can treat all the ups and downs can be a huge benefit.  i was with the same one for 2 years till he moved and it  has been difficult switching to a new one, but now i'm starting to get comfortable with the new one i'm seeing.  that's why i say ok to a neuro who will tell me it may take a year.  it's better than never which is what it may be with NDPH.  but since this isn't about ch...i won't comment anymore. Smiley
IP Logged

Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 7:59pm »

With acupuncture and even medications you need to believe it will work for it to work well. People living in countries where it is the norm will have better success than where it is considered experimental. Believing something will work doesn't guarantee success but it does help.

Just my 1/4 cents.

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 3:44am »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 5:03pm, chronic_chic wrote:
Hannah,

I thought about that very same thing when I talked about it with my grandparents the other day.  I have spent probably hundreds of thousands of dollars on neurologists now.  Yea, it's come from my insurance company.  But who's paying the insurance company?  My family.  I don't give up on my neuro even though it has been over 3 years of no relief of pain.
The acupuncturist said it may take a year.  Well....if my neuro told me it may take a year, I would just say ok let's get to it.  When someone from another non-western field of medicine says it may take a year we look at them like, "What are you, nuts?"  It all seems funny to me how viewpoints change depending on what it is about.

~Lizz

Yes well, that's why I bring it up sometimes here and there. It's the same with homeopathy sometimes, you will probably remember what I wrote about that.

The funny thing is, when I give Jos (whose attacks are right on schedual and never failing him) something homeopathic and they STOP, people will say "oh, well, that's just  coincidence". But when I stick a shot of imitrex in his leg, or give him a TABLET with regular medicine, and the attacks STOP, everyone will go like "jeezzzz, that's good stuff, where can I buy it".  

And you know what??? The more I look into it, because of the psilocin search and all that, the more I come to the conclusion that it's very odd that pharmaceutical companies don't look into the use of LSD and related stuff any further, and spend so much time developing medicines you have to use again and again and again, like imitrex, methysergide, ergotamine. Why??? I guess it's just not just about the "unwanted hallucinating effects of LSD" but more about the money!  

Does anyone wanna guess how much money they make on imitrex? And how much money they would LOOSE if more people would be treated with LSD under controlled circumstances.  

Jos and I went to see an acupuncturist who wanted to help him badly (it's not hard to see when people really really want to help you). To her it was NOT about the money at all, she was kinda "hurting" for him that she couldn't do anymore for him, but they had to stop the treatment because it was just stirring it up (didn't help). But she WANTED to help. I think there's more thought about money in the regular cirquit then in the alternative cirquit! And much more earnings going around there too. Sometimes I get the idea it's not about helping people at ALL in the pharmaceutical industry.

Think about it.
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 9:25am »

Hannah,

I'd have to agree once again.  Although my experience with alternatives right now is limited, my acupuncturist is one who TRULY wants to help.  And you are right...you can see this in a person who will spend the time with you and is very concerned.  You can see it...it's not something you can pretend or make up.  My dad first said of course he wants you to keep going back...more money!  But then my dad talked to him on the phone,, and  after that he was all about me continuing the treatments.

For me, at first with clusters they just came earlier in the day, but I was able to sleep through the night with less hits.  Is that an improvement?  I don't know, but it was a change.

With the NDPH...some days I would  go in with a 9 headache and walk out with a 5, but then 2 hours later it would be back up to a 9.  So that's why he said it would just take some time.  There were changes going on, but it's a slow process.

I don't think I am able to go right now because I am on coumadin, and sometimes the needles can make you bleed.  I have to stay on the coumadin until April because I got a blood clot while in the hosp.  

But I like what you said about knowing when someone really cares.  You really can tell and it makes a big difference...  Alt therapy isn't all about the money...people assume it is just because it doesn't work for everyone and there are ambulance chasers out there just like there are lawyers.  I guess it's hard to see thru the smoke.  

~Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #19 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 9:52am »

Quote:
Sometimes I get the idea it's not about helping people at ALL in the pharmaceutical industry.

I get that idea all of the time!
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #20 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 10:02am »

Chronic_chic, 3 years IS a long time with no pain relief.  Either you have a good neurologist and your condition is extremely resistant to treatment or you need a new neurologist like the others said.  Sounds like you've already decided you have a good neuro.

What new treatment did that other person's neurologist try after eight years that finally helped?  Maybe the problem just went away on its on?

Lots of times when a patient has two illness and the treatment for one exacerbates the other and vice versa the doctor has a hard time balancing it out just to keep the person alive.  Usually neither condition is well-treated.  

I hope that you can find some combination of things that will help you with your headaches.
IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 2:07pm »

on Jan 11th, 2004, 3:44am, HannahFroukje wrote:

Sometimes I get the idea it's not about helping people at ALL in the pharmaceutical industry.

BINGO!

Quote:
To her it was NOT about the money at all, she was kinda "hurting" for him that she couldn't do anymore for him, but they had to stop the treatment because it was just stirring it up (didn't help). But she WANTED to help.

Yeah, right. And she gave you all your money back. Right?
IP Logged

HannahFroukje
New Board Veteran
Netherlands 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 5:04pm »

on Jan 12th, 2004, 2:07pm, BobG wrote:

BINGO!

Yeah, right. And she gave you all your money back. Right?

Yeah, and you got your money back from every neuro in town that couldn't stop your attacks.  

RIGHT?
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #23 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 5:42pm »

on Jan 12th, 2004, 5:04pm, HannahFroukje wrote:

Yeah, and you got your money back from every neuro in town that couldn't stop your attacks.  

RIGHT?

No, but I didn't go to every neuro in town. I only went to one and he did help me. There was no reason for a refund.

But, if I had no money or insurance he would not have seen me.  

And he was not "hurting" for me and "wanting" to help.  
What he wanted was for the bill to be paid.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2004, 5:43pm by BobG » IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 12th, 2004, 6:11pm »

I'm confused by your post Bob....

I went to one neuro...he cared a lot.  I'm sure he wanted the bills paid too though!  I guess the biggest difference is that my insurance paid the neuro and my pocket paid the acupuncturist.  They both cared a lot, however.  I won't go to a doc who seems like they don't care.  I've been there and I don't feel that effective treatment is gained by seeing a professional who doesn't give a damn about their patients!

So yeah...I paid a $15 copay to my neuro and $100 to the acupuncturist...I can't go to acupuncture anymore because we can't afford it.  It's too bad because I would have at least liked to follow it for a little while!  Insurance seems to have the same views as most people in the US though...non-western medicine is not yet accepted as something worth paying for!

But they still both cared...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss