Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 6:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fresh Research - pred/pred as a preventative »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fresh Research - pred/pred as a preventative
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fresh Research - pred/pred as a preventative  (Read 475 times)
floridian

Email

Fresh Research - pred/pred as a preventative
« on: Jan 13th, 2004, 4:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My take - The experimental treatment consisted of large injected doses of methylprednisolone on 3 consecutive days, followed by tablets of a different (but related) steroid at a lower dose with a taper down (decreasing dose of the oral steroid) 4 weeks total.  The researchers claim this treatment is better than "the usual prophylactic treatments for episodic cluster headache" - but atleast in the abstract, they didn't say how effective it was, or what it was compared to.  

Quote:
Neurol Sci. ; 24(5): 318-21.  
    Prophylactic treatment of episodic cluster headache with intravenous bolus of methylprednisolone.  Mir P, Alberca R, Navarro A, Montes E, Martinez E, Franco E, Cayuela A, Lozano P.

We evaluated the efficacy of intravenous boluses of methylprednisolone followed by prednisone as a prophylactic treatment for episodic cluster headache. Fourteen male patients (mean age, 42.54 years) with episodic cluster headache were treated with 250-mg boluses of methylprednisolone on 3 consecutive days, followed by prednisone (90 mg/day orally) with gradual tapering in four weeks. Headache parameters of the active phases treated with methylprednisolone were compared with those of previous active phases in the same patients treated with other prophylactic medications. The primary efficacy criterion was decrease in the frequency of attacks during the first month of treatment. The statistical differences were calculated using Wilcoxon's test. The attacks were significantly less frequent in the active phases treated with methylprednisolone boluses than those treated with other medications ( p<0.05). This treatment seems to be more effective than the usual prophylactic treatments for episodic cluster headache.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2004, 4:52pm by floridian » IP Logged
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Cannot kill the family, Battery is found in me

Email

Re: Fresh Research - prednisone as a preventative
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 4:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When was this published?

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
floridian

Email

Re: Fresh Research - prednisone as a preventative
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 4:43pm »

Neurol Sci. 2003 Dec; 24(5): 318-21.  

Sorry, the list of abstracts had the date, but the Pubmed abstract itself has a typo.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2004, 4:44pm by floridian » IP Logged
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Re: Fresh Research - pred/pred as a preventative
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 4:58pm »

Fresh out of the oven... I wonder if the 3 days of intravenous methylprednisolone consisted of an out-patient "flu-shot" type procedure or an in-patient IV type thing.

PFDANs
-Curtis
IP Logged

Through water and fire. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought the Beast. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 2:11pm »

I have no doubt that this would show a marked decrease in cluster activity in the first month of treatment, since it was a 4 week taper beginning at a very high dose of prednisone. Nothing new about prednisone decreasing cluster activity.

If you're going to use this treatment for every cycle, I'd suggest beginning to also look up some abstracts on AVN. You'll probably want to have some basic information on it before you go in for your hip replacements. Undecided

Not knocking the messenger. Glad you posted the info, JMHO.

PF
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
CJohnson
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 2:29pm »

AVN - Avascular necrosis - Bone Death

Avascular necrosis is a disease resultingfrom the temporary or permanent loss of the blood supply to the bones.

Prolonged use of high doses of prednisone has been linked to AVN.

A google search using the words prednisone and avascular necrosis will yield many results.  Then again, prolonged use of high doses of imitrex has been linked to heart problems. A google search will yield many results. There seem to be not very many effective CH treatments that are without potententially harmful effects to our bodies.  

There might be one or two though...  

PFDANs
-Curtis
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2004, 2:50pm by CJohnson » IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 4:12pm »

Quote:
Not knocking the messenger. Glad you posted the info, JMHO.

Yup, I just post it with my impressions and a translation closer to everday English. I'm not recommending everything (or anything) in the "Fresh Research" posts - just letting people know what research is being done.  

AVN - just heard about that related to SARS.  In China, massive doses of steroids were given, and AVN followed in its wake. No AVN in Canada, as the steroids were more moderately administered.  Then there's avian flu popping up in Vietnam. Spooky. Not directly relevant, but one good source of info if you are interested in SARS is: http://discuss.agonist.org/yabbse/index.php?board=6
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss