Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 10:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ER--not the place for primary CH care »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   ER--not the place for primary CH care
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ER--not the place for primary CH care  (Read 547 times)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

ER--not the place for primary CH care
« on: Jan 15th, 2004, 10:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yet another report showing why we must find a doc with knowledge & skill in treating Cluster--if at all possible.
-----------------
Treatment of Primary Headache in the Emergency Department

Harvey J. Blumenthal, MD; Michael A. Weisz, MD, FACP; Karen M. Kelly; Renae L. Mayer, MD; Jeffrey Blonsky, MS4
Headache 43(10):1026-1031, 2003. © 2003 Blackwell Publishing

Background: Each year many patients present to an emergency department for treatment of acute primary headache. We investigated the diagnosis and clinical outcome of patients treated for primary headache in the emergency department.
Methods: Patients treated for acute primary headache in the emergency department completed a questionnaire related to their headache symptoms, response to treatment, and ability to return to normal function. These responses were compared to the treating physicians' observations of the patient's condition at the time of discharge from the emergency department.
Results: Based on the questionnaire, 95% of the 57 respondents met International Headache Society diagnostic criteria for migraine. Emergency department physicians, however, diagnosed only 32% of the respondents with migraine, while 59% were diagnosed as having "cephalgia" or "headache NOS" (not otherwise specified). All patients previously had taken nonprescription medication, and 49% had never taken a triptan. In the emergency department, only 7% of the patients received a drug "specific" for migraine (ie, a triptan or dihydroergotamine). Sixty-five percent of the patients were treated with a "migraine cocktail" comprised of a variable mixture of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent, a dopamine antagonist, and/or an antihistamine; 24% were treated with opioids. All 57 patients reported that after discharge they had to rest or sleep and were unable to return to normal function. Sixty percent of patients still had headache 24 hours after discharge from the emergency department.
Conclusion: The overwhelming majority of patients who present to an emergency department with acute primary headache have migraine, but the majority of patients receive a less specific diagnosis and a treatment that is correspondingly nonspecific.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

Re: ER--not the place for primary CH care
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 3:43pm »

WTF - Sixty-five percent of the patients were treated with a "migraine cocktail"  

I've never heard of one of those and I spent many many times in the er with my mom for her migraine for as far back as I can remember.  

Tia
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 4:14pm »

My guess is....study done at a hospital with a headache center attached.  ER's there tend to treat headaches with migraine cocktails instead of painkillers.

Based on being an ER employee, I wouldn't recommend ER as best place for headache treatment unless headache is not a primary headache (aka....symptom of stroke, heart attack, aneurysm, tumor..etc)  In those cases...get thee to an ER quickly!

Some people find relief at ERs, but for the most part they are noisy, overcrowded, very bright lights and strong sensory things going on, and the wait is very long if you're not coming in with an "emergency."  

I asked James (my boyfriend) if he's ever had a cluster patient come into the ER where we work at (he's been there a lot longer), and he said he's never had one.  Lots of headaches...migraines and other, but never a CHer...he asked how would you know.  I gave him a brief description...and he said, "wow...no never had one of them come in."  Guess the CHers don't frequent our ER too much!

I would always go if you feel it's necessary...Just don't make it your place of primary headache care!

Just some ER thoughts from an ER employee...

~Lizzie Smiley
IP Logged

Prense
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kerry is an idiot!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 5:30pm »

I have been seen very rapidly during all ER visits.  They want to treat with narcs though.  No thanks.  Since my last ER visit, I have been prescribed imitrex, and I have never had to visit an ER again.  Oddly, every ER carries triptans and dihydroergotamine.  Neither of those were ever offered to me...

Chris
IP Logged

Where does the white go in a snowman when the snow melts?
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 6:21pm »

The ER is not the best place for ANY primary care!

IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 9:56pm »

Here is a link to another headache website....There are forms to print here that your MD can fill out requesting what type of medications you should receive upon visiting the ER for care.  

http://headaches.about.com/cs/advocacy/a/emerg_forms.htm

Hope this helps someone!

~Lizzie
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss