Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 9:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax users...what side effects did you have? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax users...what side effects did you have?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax users...what side effects did you have?  (Read 1949 times)
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

Re: Topamax users...what side effects did you have
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 12:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Allan, great to hear you are having good results...I came off topamax only to have to go back on it again..I was getting slam dunked....I came off the topamax and my duragesic patch and had to go back on both of them...nothing else seems to help at all...but i am only on 50mg a nite now...I cant seem to go any higher cause of the side effects..the only problem is my neuro is insisting I go higher no matter what the side effects are...I am thinking about changing docs  now..I am FED up with  doctors who think they know it all...I would love to put about 200mg of topamax in his coffee and see him function at work LOL....smiles,nancyc Cheesy
IP Logged
Pooh_Bear
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #26 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 2:40am »

I tried Topamax, Lithium, Prednisone......on and on, the only thing that works, and works WELL!! is ICE! I use 100% oxi on the rare occations that the ice won't work, ( once a month). I get 4 or 5 every night, so i keep ice in a thermos and grab a cube. By the time it melts, i am asleep. NO MORE PAIN!!  After 10 years of this, its the only thing i have found that works.
IP Logged
clavers
New Board Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #27 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 8:52am »

Topamax made me literally insane for three days, then it destroyed my short term memory and my sense of taste.  It did nothing to  help my CH.
IP Logged
Apple
New Board Newbie

« Reply #28 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 3:52pm »

I know this is weird, but I would be happy if all that Topamax did is made  things taste like you know what. (I'm a lady and I ain't gonna say it). It a weird ass, drug. Okay, I sorta said it. At least it helps my pain, so I'm putting up with it. The stuff is strange.
IP Logged

I don't have CH, I have horrible migraines. Doc says they have "cluster features." Can I still stay? Migraines suck. Can I say that?
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #29 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 1:26am »

Apple, ask your neuro to maybe switch you to Zonegram...it is suppose to be like Topamax without the side effects...I got mine to change me...Not sure if the side effects are going to be bad on this one but will let you know....smiles,nancyc  PS i felt like a zombie on topamax!
IP Logged
roro

Email

« Reply #30 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 5:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well I must be the exception. Its been two years three months since I started Topamax. At that time I was having CH 3 months on and 3 months off. In other words I had at least one CH every night for half of my life and it was getting really old.

I had a lot of these bad side effects that many of spoke of. Dizziness, sort of being in a time lapse like I was living one second behind everyone else. This is not good when driving an automobile. I slowly ramped up the dosage as the manufactor suggested. By the time I got up to maximum dosage (100mg AM and 100mg PM) I was CH free and I had adjusted to the stuff. Compared to living through my college years this stuff was nothing. So maybe if given a chance to adjust others can get benefit from this. I haven't had a Cluster in over 2 years!

ro
IP Logged
Apple
New Board Newbie

« Reply #31 on: Dec 15th, 2004, 3:53pm »

It's a long story, but due to medical reasons, I probably can't take sulpher (sp?) drugs and I think Zonegran is in that class. Also, my doctor is unfamiliar with prescribing Zonegran is not ready to prescribe it to patients yet. But like I said, it's unclear if I can take it...so I guess it's moot. The Topamax makes me batty sometimes. And recently I've gotten some bladder infections and this is an "uncommon" s/e of Topamax that I've been worried about. This is a c.r.a.z.y. drug!!!! It does often help migraines though. BTW...ARICEPT helps a little with the brain fog when you take Topamax. Pass the word!
IP Logged

I don't have CH, I have horrible migraines. Doc says they have "cluster features." Can I still stay? Migraines suck. Can I say that?
heprat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Growning old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

« Reply #32 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:56am »

I've been on 50mg Topo since Dec 3 and started 100 mg Dec 14 and have not had any side effects that I couldn't just as easily attribute to not haveing a complete nights sleep since mid November.  

I've been following this thread and am no way advocating this or any other med...and most likely this is the delirium of having been beaten sevearly by the beast recently...but I find myself thinking...I'd gladly forget my name or get lost at work once in awhile if I didn't have to have these damn "headaches".  Desparation sets in.
IP Logged
hdbngr
New Board Old Timer

Email

« Reply #33 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 2:30pm »

At 200 mg I had the intelligence of a box of rocks, but it DID help with the headache's somewhat. Lost about 20 pounds, mainly because soda taste like Alka-Seltzer. I could handle these side effects, but when I experienced a kidney stone, I said NO MORE!

I can think of about 100 other things I would do any day before having a headache and passing one of those jagged little suckers.
IP Logged

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss