Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Episodic to chronic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Episodic to chronic
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Episodic to chronic  (Read 1101 times)
pubgirl

Email

Episodic to chronic
« on: Oct 24th, 2004, 6:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know this has been asked in different forms before, but I would like to ask again.
I am asking for a reason: being episodic and wanting to do everything to stay that way, I would like to learn from the experience of the chronics who used to be lucky like me if they can find the time to answer.

If you had to say, from your own personal belief, was there anything that caused you to go from episodic to chronic apart from f..ing bad luck

How many chronic sufferers if they had their CH time over again would do things differently? What would it be you that would do differently?

Are there any chronic Ch sufferers here who believe any aspect of their treatment or lifestyles has worsened their condition? What is that aspect you blame?

Thank you in advance

Wendy

IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Episodic to chronic
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 7:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry girlfriend....I can't help you. I've no idea what made my CH change. I wouldn't say bad luck, I'd probably call it bad karma. My lifestyle has not changed, it's always been challenged by my inability to say no to my need for instant gratification. I'm a smoker, with a predisposition to couch potatoness. I eat all the wrong foods and do not excersize at all. Actually - it's a wonder I'm alive at all! Undecided
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
don

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 8:23pm »

Quote:
I'm a smoker, with a predisposition to couch potatoness. I eat all the wrong foods and do not excersize at all. Actually - it's a wonder I'm alive at all!  

I love you.

Marry me?
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 12:43am »

(1) There was alot going on in my life at about the time I turned chronic. Weather it's relevant or not is anyones guess. I was in a failing relationship. Money was tight. I was in programming classes and math classes. I just 'took' my kid to live with me full-time. I had to move suddenly. It was a stressful time.

(2) I can't say that I would've dpne anything any differently. But, knowing what I know now, I would've went to the Diamond clinic sooner for the Histamine Drip Therapy.

(3) Being in the sun too long makes my HA's worse. Alcohol brings on an attack. Neurontin made me worse. Keppra was a nightmare drug.Topamax brought on kidney stones...twice. The Sphenopalatine Ganglion block made me worse also.

Unsolved
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 3:41am »

Thanks unsolved, if anyone's experience/ideas are valuable, yours are!

Wendy
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 10:15am »

Wendy,
I don't know if this is ture, but I read that not getting treatment soon enough when your NOT chronic can make you become chronic. And I believe that to a degree because I just figured out after all these years (and after I was already chronic with it) what was really wrong with me. I was being treated for sinus infections and allergies for many, many years. It wasn't til it was chronic (everyday) that I started looking for answers myself.
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 2:15pm »

Becky

Thanks for that, interesting! In your mind do you think it is the lack of the right drugs, or excess of the wrong drugs you attribute it to?

Wendy
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 2:28pm »

Both, but mostly lack of the RIGHT drugs. I believe if I had been treated for the CH BEFORE I was chronic, I might not have become chronic to begin with and thats what this study said. I am sure using all that ( and I used anything)other stuff  to take away the pain didn't help. And was told I needed sinus this & that and I ate them like candy. And it NEVER worked, sometimes dulled the pain alittle and then when the HA was over and I would think whatever the last med I took worked, but it never really did!!! Are you following me??? I get mad when I think about it now, and all that pain ( and being a jerk to my family, cause I hurt)
IP Logged
JJA
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 4:37pm »

I am not chronic so I can't personally answer your questions, but...in "What Predicts Evolution from Episodic to Chronic Cluster Headache?" , Torelli and Manzoni(2002) looked at many factors.  People who became chronic smoked more, drank more and consumed more caffeine.  This doesn't mean those things caused CCH though. They even point out that one person quit drinking before their headaches became chronic.  Maybe those people just had more addictive personalities.  If you are interested, there are many more predictive traits looked at, but these were the only ones that you could control.  They also mention that the average woman became chronic 4.5 years after their headaches started.  For men the average was 7 years.  If you have gone longer than that, you've already reduced your chances by at least half.  

Jesse
IP Logged

Is it illegal because it's dangerous or is it dangerous because it's illegal? Our drug laws are ruining lives.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #9 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 12:49am »

Quote:
People who became chronic smoked more, drank more and consumed more caffeine
 Well- now I what did it to me. Undecided
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
ksmiggy
New Board Junior

doh!

ksmiggy  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 4:21am »

[quote author=becky8  I believe if I had been treated for the CH BEFORE I was chronic, I might not have become chronic to begin with and thats what this study said. I am sure using all that ( and I used anything)other stuff  to take away the pain didn't help. And was told I needed sinus this & that and I ate them like candy. And it NEVER worked, sometimes dulled the pain alittle and then when the HA was over and I would think whatever the last med I took worked, but it never really did!!! Are you following me???

how true, i went the same route, treated for everything but CH, started off at about 5 ch's in a year, within 3 yrs, was chronic, now get attacks daily, (anywhere from 2-5 times a day), gave up alchohol, but still smoke, am not over-weight, but not fit either, maybe earlier treatment might have helped, maybe not, as for doing anything different , i wouldn't know what not to do, i guess i'll have to sign up with the just bad luck theory, so with that in mind, good luck to all
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 9:47am »

I don't know if I believe that one on smoking and drinking. I am sure it probably makes things worst for CH , cause your body can't fight off bad things when you are abusing it. I don't smoke, drank very little (none now) and was pretty fit and I STILL have CH and chronic now. But using all thoses prescription and OTC drugs abused my body too. And I  would double the stuff to ease the pain. Not knowing thats not what my body really needed, and if you use a drug that your body doesn't need over and over your just wrecking your amune system. Thats just what I think, I have had it 20 years now, chronic over the last 11/2.
IP Logged
Redrum
New Board Junior
USA 

Doh!

« Reply #12 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 10:03am »

Hmmm well I don't know if this helps but, I was chronic for about the first fifteen years of my history then went episodic about 8 years ago.  the only significant change I can recall was that I quit drinking  Cry

~Andy
IP Logged

It's hard to be an optimist when the glass is shattered on the floor!
becky8

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 10:06am »

Andy,
That great news, gives us chronics hope!!!
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 10:55am »

When in February 1999 a new cycle started I found this site.
Since that cycle hasn't ended yet, the only conclusion I can draw is: being around you freaks has caused becoming chronic. Grin
PFNADs, Ueli                 smokin
IP Logged
PerryGR
New Board Veteran
Greece 

pekam_gr  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 5:54am »

Hello Wendy,

I'm not sure i'm appropriate to reply to your thread since i've never been episodic- i started out as chronic. For that reason i can't answer your first question but let me try the other two.

If i had my CH time over again (3 years all in all) i would demand better answers from my doctors and ask for greater relief (i'd be more "loud"- let them know how bad this hurts and how it affects my life). I would also try to be more proactive myself (do some research, question my doctors' diagnoses).

I can't be certain as to what deteriorated my condition- it is possible that things would get worse no matter what i did. Probably alcohol played an important role as far as the onset of my CH is concerned. My HA's begun in December of 2001 but i can recall that for at least 6 months prior to that i would get a droopy eyelid and a congested nostril every time i had some alcohol. More than that during August, September and October of 2001 i was consuming about 2 bottles of vodka per week. So there must be a colleration between alcohol and the onset of my HA's. Quitting alcohol afterwards hasn't helped me in any way with CH- it has saved me money though.  

As far as treatments are concerned... Topamax gave me a May-June cycle-in-cycle that wasn't there before. Currently i'm on 900mgs of Lithium (last 17 days) and use Imitrex as an abortive- i'm getting 5-8 hits per day and the hits i leave untreated last anywhere between 2 1/2 and 4 hours. I don't know if it's just another cycle-in-cycle or it's the meds causing this.  I do know that every year about this time i take huge leaps down darker cluster-paths.  

I don't know if all this makes any sense- hope it is of some help.

PFDAN to all,
Perry.
IP Logged

Haven't posted in a while so let me re-introduce myself... Male, 25y.o., CCH sufferer for a little bit more than 5 years. Verapamil and Lithium seem to work well at the moment.
don

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 9:12am »

Quote:
It wasn't til it was chronic (everyday)

Being "eveyday" doesn't mean you are chronic.
IP Logged
DerbyDemon
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pardon me. Is that a dagger in my head?

« Reply #17 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 9:14am »

Nip it in the bud as quickly as you can. The longer it lasts as an eposodic the greater your chances of becoming chronic. It acts like water over rock for a period of years - slowly etching a painful place in your head until you can't root it out.  

Find the cocktail that works for you as a preventative and stay on it.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #18 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 4:01am »

Wendy,

I wish I could tell you some great theory why my CH changed, but I can't. I think that crappy luck is the best I came across! Sad

When I look back, I would not change a thing, though. The docs cannot tell us why we have this beast, so I concentrade on feeling great. So, after my CH turned chronic, I turned my life around.  

Funny, but as my HAs are worse, my life in general is better! Grin

Best wishes to you, Wendy. I keep my thumbs up for you and all other episodics that your CH doen't do the switch!

PFdays,
sandie99
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 10:52am »

ppl ... if you're going to go chronic, then you're going chronic. You're NOT going to be able to stop it. It is UNcontrollable. There is no sure fire way to "Nip it in the bud".

imho

Unsolved
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: Nov 6th, 2004, 11:59pm »

Hmmmmm. Lets see what a five minute search gives me.
O wait a minute here it is the six month thread about no longer being chronic. And here is another one. a year of no longer being chronic. PF in both cases!
There is hope and there is a way worth trying to gain PF time.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 12:42am »

I think I was misunderstood. I didn't mean that once you go chronic, you're chronic forever. Cycles break, even chronic ones. Different ppl react differently to meds, therapies & procedures.

Take my case for example...there was nothing I could do to stop it from staying with me for over the last 4 years. I've done everything they've (neuro's) said, I've tried all the meds (and procedures) ... believe me ... i've tried. I don't want to be chronic  Undecided

Unsolved
IP Logged
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 7th, 2004, 6:36am »

I've been thru all the posts on this thread and I believe becky8 decribes my thoughts on this exactly.The sooner you are diagnosed and treated with the right meds,the better the results.I was episodic for years and all I was taking was pain meds that put me in rebounds and started my chronic cycle(been there about 6 years now)Did my own research and found some things that do work for me,02 is now my drug of choice,although I do take some to help prevent onset.Still chronic,but now have good days and not so bad days.Good luck!David
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
ozzy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

As I Am

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 9:59am »

Ok, here is my monkey wrench.

I have had CH for 16 years. Here is my evolution....

I was undiagnosed/misdiagnosed for over 10 years. Had very few cycles at times maybe one or max two a year lasted 4 weeks then gone for 2 years or less or more, it varied...

Then I was diagnosed, treated succesfully with Trex NS and Prednisone to break the cycle. Three years PF, then I had one of the toughest cycles in my life, Trex, Pred and *Verapamil* 6 weeks later I was PF.

Then a year and half ago I started my current cycle, Trex again up to 6 times a day for weeks, at that point since I was still ramping down from the Verapamil from the previous cycle I was able to ramp up rapidly. After 6 months of Verapamil with mixed success, I decided to go med free. The intensity and or frequency diminished overall. I was not completely PF but the major ones K7 and above, I O2'd them (again with mixed success) and the minor ones K6 and below, I just danced through.

So in MY case, I think that meds have made it worse. This is my experience, my statement. I do not suggest that anyone go med free. It is a personal choice.

Ozzy

PS (Melatonin, has helped a great deal for those times when a "cycle" whithin the "cycle" is developing. 3 mg over the course of 3 consecutive nights seem to do the trick for me. Also regularity as others have suggested before, is important. Consistent bedtimes, meals, etc.
IP Logged
Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 9:45pm »

Wendy,
   When I when chronic, I was not using any abortives besides none med ones. I didn't drink, but smoke and drink lots of coffee. When this cycle started it was different as I was only getting hit twice a day max, and even had some PF days tossed in. I went from 9's and 10's for 3 hours to 7's and 8's that only lasted an hour. I started using melatonin about three months before 1 year in cycle,It worked very well and gave me many PF days, when I reached a year I started getting slammed, the cause was that the melatonin became a trigger instead of a preventative. Nothing changed to cause me to become chronic. I also can now have alcohol again. It's like after a year a switch flipped that gave me chronic attributes. My previous cycles last three months and I used Imitrex as an abortive.

Opus/Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss