Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 8:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « hot / cold shock therapy »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   hot / cold shock therapy
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hot / cold shock therapy  (Read 1521 times)
bocephus
New Board Newbie
USA 

Git-R-Done!

hot / cold shock therapy
« on: Nov 19th, 2004, 3:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For me the biggest hurdle in stopping an attack once it starts is to stop the anxiety first.  If I can't relax it is going to be a long and painful attack, so relaxing is the key.  The hot / cold shock therapy that I use is simple.  I turn on the shower hot enough to boil a chicken.  I sit down in the tub and let the scalding hot water pound my head.  I sit there in it for about 5 minutes and breath steadily.  Then I reach up and turn the water mixer from straight hot to straight cold.  I only let the cold be on for about 30 seconds because I can't handle the freezing water as well as I can handle the scalding water.  Usually within about 20 minutes and three to four repeats of this process the headache will be totally gone.  

I came up with this myself years ago and have always used it when the situation allowed and it has yet to fail to stop my headaches within a half an hour.

(Do you like the name?  I came up with that myself.) Grin
IP Logged
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: hot / cold shock therapy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 4:08pm »

Sorry to burst your bubble but... This approach has been around for a long long time.  I remember trying it at least 20 years ago.  Never did much for me besides provide a distraction.  

But hey, if it works for you, GREAT.  

That said, Have you tried Imitrex?  If not it's something you should seriously consider talking over with your doc.  Real 100% relief and relatively few situational restrictions.  That shower treatment probably isn't too practical when you're at work, a dinner party or a baseball game...
IP Logged
Testy1
New Board Junior
Saudi_Arabia 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 1:23pm »

Bocephus
I do pretty much the same thing except after I get wet I get out and stand in front of an air-conditioning vent or a fan so the evaporation freezes me thoroughly. Like Marlin, I doubt if this really does anything but it IS a distraction and at least I feel like I'm fighting back some way. I figure that anything that makes me feel better, even if it is only by a tiny amount, is a good thing.

Jack
IP Logged
marieinthesprings
New Board Newbie
USA 

2 the world U R 1 person,2 1person U R the world

« Reply #3 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 9:40pm »

I love the shower distraction too..........aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, if only the hot water could hold out as long as the beast, however, I am happy to report that I have finally found something that works for me, Imitrex spray, less than 10 mins and i am back in bed, I almost miss those 2am showers, NOOOOOOOOT.......I really hate taking meds but I hate the beast even more.............hmmmm 20 mins and they are gone for u?  How long do they last otherwise?  Pain free wishes to you and I am prayine mine stop soon tooo, its been a long cycle.....cheers....Marie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss