Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 5:08am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Lidocaine??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   Lidocaine???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lidocaine???  (Read 1204 times)
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

i can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Lidocaine???
« on: Dec 20th, 2004, 5:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

anyone sniff this stuff?

i'm on trex pills... i know, i know, but they usually work pretty well for me. it's just that i obviously can't take a trex shot if i get hit when i'm taking the pills anyway. this hardly ever happens, but it's happened twice, and so i'm exploring emergency options...

does the lidocaine work cuz i can take that and trex at the same time...

danka!  bow
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2004, 5:49pm by Bandette74 » IP Logged

Teaudire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
mawmaw
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Lidocaine???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 6:01pm »

My hubby has used the lidocaine. It worked for him for about 5min. That was about long enough for me to make sure he had O2 handy. Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2004, 6:03pm by mawmaw » IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 8:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Wast of time..................

Lee
IP Logged
t_h_b
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

primary chronic since 1999

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 8:37pm »

Yes, lidocaine can help a lot.  

You have to really snort to get it high enough in there and it burns but it's a good burn.  If it doesn't burn, it's not in there high enough and/or you haven't used enough.  

5% is better than a lower percentage and the petrolatum-based ointment is better than the water-based gel because it doesn't run so much.  It's around $13.00 at drugstore.com and at that price it's worth a try:

Lidocaine HCl
35.44GM tube  (about an ounce)
5% ointment

You can get it in other countries for a couple of bucks a tube.

Good luck.

p.s. it probably goes without saying but you use it on the same side as your CH
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2004, 8:40pm by t_h_b » IP Logged

No, it's not a headache--it's a Stage Ten Primary Chronic Periodic Idiopathic Trigeminovascular Cephalalgic Crisis.
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 8:40pm »

on Dec 20th, 2004, 8:31pm, forgetfulnot wrote:
Wast of time..................

Lee

Waste of time
IP Logged
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 2:04am »

something about sniffing oil-based ointment seems very unpleasant. not nearly as unpleasant as a CH, but still...

ah-well, i'll keep researching. so far so good with the new trex pills. only needed one today...

thanks guys!
IP Logged

pubgirl

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 6:00am »

Bandette

Why not get 02 to use when you get more hits than the Imigran can deal with? Much better than Lidocaine which only seems to help a handful of people.
Better still in my case, I use the 02 for all hits, and the Imigran as back up if the 02 fails. Grin

Wendy
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 8:33am »

Tried it in drops, still have the bottle in the bathroom.  Its just not possible to keep my head held back and to the side, (read: haveing to sit still) to keep the CHit up there to find out if it works at all or not for the attacks, but it sure helps the cuts and scrapes that happen round this place... Grin
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 8:58am »

on Dec 21st, 2004, 6:00am, pubgirl wrote:
Bandette

Why not get 02 to use when you get more hits than the Imigran can deal with? Much better than Lidocaine which only seems to help a handful of people.
Better still in my case, I use the 02 for all hits, and the Imigran as back up if the 02 fails. Grin

Wendy

yeah, the O2 is problematic with my lifestyle because i work with psychiatric patients and i'm a full-time student. i also travel a lot as a professional business writer and classical singer when i have "down" time. plus, i've been traveling touring potential law schools for when i graduate. so, trying to do all of this with an oxygen tank nearby would be quite inconvenient. however it is not an option that i have completely ruled out--just one that my neuro and i have put on the back burner for now.

i'm taking the trex pills--frankly i did better with the Relpax pills, so i think i'm going to ask to have the script switched. the neuro tried trex because you physically get more pills per pack, so it's cheaper and will prevent some possible insurance restrictions (which i don't have thankfully--i checked).

the trex injections, while they work great as an abortive on an acute attack, do nothing to prevent. i found that the pill form stays in my system longer than the injections, so they have worked as a preventative for me if i take them when i get strong shadows. yet, the pills don't do a thing for an acute attack.  

while it's rare, very rare, for me to get an acute attack while i'm on the trex or relpax pills, it has happened twice in the three weeks i've been suffering with ch. i did go four days without any scripts, and i got up to four acute attacks every day/night. so, it reasonably follows tht the pills work quite well for me.

i'm just looking for something that i can use as an abortive in those rare instances when i do get a hit while on the pills. you're right in that O2 might work, but the chances of me having it nearby are quite slim even with the smaller tanks. i was hoping to find something a bit more portable  Undecided

thanks as always for your thoughtfulness... it is something i'm keeping in mind.  Wink
IP Logged

Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 9:04am »

For me, Lidocaine is pretty much a waste of effort. I have been successful in stopping a few attacks with a 15% solution, but they always return within minutes. Anything less than 15% had no effect at all.

Just my 2 cents in a world where pennies are worthless…….
IP Logged
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 9:07am »

on Dec 21st, 2004, 8:33am, Redd715 wrote:
Tried it in drops, still have the bottle in the bathroom.  Its just not possible to keep my head held back and to the side, (read: haveing to sit still) to keep the CHit up there to find out if it works at all or not for the attacks, but it sure helps the cuts and scrapes that happen round this place... Grin

sometimes i think it'd help if someone just spanked me over the head with a frying pan and knocked my ass out! then i'd just have a silly throbbing lump on my head versus the friggin beast trying to poke my eye out of my head with a flame thrower from inside my brain.

geesh!  Tongue
IP Logged

Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 9:09am »

on Dec 21st, 2004, 9:04am, Marc wrote:
For me, Lidocaine is pretty much a waste of effort. I have been successful in stopping a few attacks with a 15% solution, but they always return within minutes. Anything less than 15% had no effect at all.

Just my 2 cents in a world where pennies are worthless…….

Wink ugh! k. think these answers really tell me all i need to know--LOOK ELSEWHERE for an abortive...  

thanks! i'll take those two cents and add them to the rest of the "tips" i get around here. it's all legal tender, my friend.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2004, 9:10am by Bandette74 » IP Logged

Redrum
New Board Junior
USA 

Doh!

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 9:20am »

My story...I sometimes find it difficult to keep the O2 mask pressed to my face when things get bad so my doctor had a lidocane nasal spray formulated that I use first.  The lidocane does nothing for the CH but it does make the O2 mask tolerable and the O2 is a true blessing.  I only need to use it when my cycle seems to be getting me up into the kip 8+ range
IP Logged

It's hard to be an optimist when the glass is shattered on the floor!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:58am »

As far as O2 tanks being an inconvenience...you can get tanks that are small enough to fit in a back pack.
Ihave several in my car because I am constantly on the road when in between clients....I can also bring them into my clients houses and they are none the wiser.

Not too inconvenient and way more convenient than an attack lasting longer and completely interfering with work and school.

Good Luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #14 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:36pm »

on Dec 21st, 2004, 11:58am, E-Double wrote:
As far as O2 tanks being an inconvenience...you can get tanks that are small enough to fit in a back pack.

What size/# is that?
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 6:17pm »

on Dec 21st, 2004, 12:36pm, lionsound wrote:

What size/# is that?

"D" tank
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 6:32pm »

Over here the CD cylinder really is portable, many sufferers carry them around when in cycle, the problem is more commonly getting employers or organisations  to accept having a tank of oxygen on the premises because of the "danger".
Most of them seem to find that if they bother asking, their insurance companies are fine with it when assured that it is being stored safely and away from any risk areas.

I take mine almost everywhere when in cycle, but then I travel by car so I just tuck it in the boot (sorry, trunk Grin)
I know one lady sufferer who takes hers everywhere in a wheeled shopping trolley!

Wendy
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #17 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:08am »

I tried it and it made it WORSE!!!!

Good Vibes

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
don

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:11am »

Like applying a bandaid to a severed limb.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss