Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « next step?  type and dose of V? Lithium? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2004
(Moderator: DJ)
   next step?  type and dose of V? Lithium?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: next step?  type and dose of V? Lithium?  (Read 1341 times)
heprat
New Board Newbie
USA 

Growning old is mandatory - Growing up is optional

next step?  type and dose of V? Lithium?
« on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 9:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My doctors (neuro and pain management clinic) decided after 4 weeks the topomax probably wasn't working and switched to Verapamil...bingo...first night one K3...then PF.  Had to be end of cycle and not the Verapamil.  Anyway...after 3 PF nights...bang another full night of attacks.  I am totally off the topomax (stopped on Sunday - 2 nights ago) and am only on 120mg of Verapamil.  I have also tappered down to 6mg of melatonin at night...not sure if that has helped me at all.  

The verapamil seems like very low dosage compared to what others on here are taking.  Increase that first?

Go back on the topomax?  and stay on the Verap?

I understand there are different types of Verap...tablets and capsules...extended release...what is most commonly used?  I have the normal release I guess tablets because that is all the pharmacy had in stock.

What about Lithium?  It seems a lot of folks are using it as well.  Seems like the down side is it can be toxic and needs blood work to confirm correct levels.  What are the other negative side effects?  Any positive SE?

Fortunately or not...my neuro sort of lets me steer the ship when it comes to meds.  She is real open to discussion and recommendations.  I just wish she could write a script for shrooms.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: next step?  type and dose of V? Lithium?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 9:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Verap and lithium is often a good combo. Lithium levels should be checked regularly with blood tests. I take 360 mgs verap and 150 mgs lithium. I also take Neurontin (which is an anti-convulsant like Topamax). My hits are not as strong with this combo and I could probably go higher with the lith. I'm chronic, so I can only tell you what makes my life a little more livable. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2004, 9:27am by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
becky8

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am also on the verapamil/lithium combo, I take 360mg verapamil and 600mg lithium. I am doing real good so far. Nani and I are both chronics though. Your verapamil is way too low for it to really help most people, maybe you should ask to up the verapamil first and remember it takes several weeks for it to work, I don't have alot of side effects with either drug but everyones different. Good Luck!!
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I take normal release but then you have to remember to take it all day long, alot of people take the extended release, it just depends on you. All the Verapamil is the same (generic or otherwise that I know)
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss