Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 8:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CoQ10 - new research »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   CoQ10 - new research
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CoQ10 - new research  (Read 447 times)
floridian

Email

CoQ10 - new research
« on: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There were questions about CoQ10 on the Magnesium thread - just came across this new study that claims a clear effect in preventing migraines.  It is of possible relevance to cluster headaches, as both types of headaches involve a deficit of energy inside the cells, and CoQ10 can help with that.  

About half of the CoQ group saw a 50% reduction in the number of headaches, while only 14% of the placebo group saw a similar improvement.  Not a magic bullet, but significant relief for some people.  

Quote:
Neurology. 2005 Feb 22;64(4):713-5.  
    Efficacy of coenzyme Q10 in migraine prophylaxis: A randomized controlled trial.

Sandor PS, Di Clemente L, Coppola G, Saenger U, Fumal A, Magis D, Seidel L, Agosti RM, Schoenen J.

Headache and Pain Unit, Neurology Department, University Hospital Zurich, Frauenklinikstrasse 26, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland.

Riboflavin, which improves energy metabolism similarly to coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), is effective in migraine prophylaxis. We compared CoQ10 (3 x 100 mg/day) and placebo in 42 migraine patients in a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. CoQ10 was superior to placebo for attack-frequency, headache-days and days-with-nausea in the third treatment month and well tolerated; 50%-responder-rate for attack frequency was 14.4% for placebo and 47.6% for CoQ10 (number-needed-to-treat: 3). CoQ10 is efficacious and well tolerated.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:25am by floridian » IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: CoQ10 - new research
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks, flo. May be worth a try along with the kudzu for me. Getting significant relief with just kudzu, maybe I could acheive totally PF time. Question: I saw this at Walgreens yesterday (having a 2 for 1 deal), do you think there's a difference in store brands vs higher priced "natural" brands? When I worked at a health food store, the vitamin people would tell customers that there was a difference. True or just sales talk?
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:35am »

Not sure about brand variations - I think there are only 2 companies in the world that really produce CoQ10 - both are in Japan.  All others just formulate their product from the raw material that these 2 Japanese companies make - there could be differences in the formulation, I don't know for sure.  

CoQ10 is one of the more expensive supplements - due to the limit in suppliers and complexity of making the active ingredient.  I take a moderate dollop daily (30 or 50 mg, can't remember).  I buy it at Costco (a wholesale club), where the price is reasonable. Some online wholesalers also have decent prices.  

Heard they are building a new plant in Texas to make CoQ10, but its not online yet.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005, 9:39am by floridian » IP Logged
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 5:36am »

Dr. Sheftell at NECH started me on CoQ10 about a year ago.  I know it cuts down on the frequency of hits and possibly the severity.  He had me start taking magnesium as well.

I noticed the price for CoQ10 was almost 3x in NYC as what it is in Texas.   Huh

IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Flash

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 9:18am »

Be careful how much you take - too much can make you jumpy.
IP Logged
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #5 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 12:50pm »

Quote:
I noticed the price for CoQ10 was almost 3x in NYC as what it is in Texas.

Everything in NY is 3x more expensive than anywhere else... Undecided  I use CoQ10 and have for years, but I never knew it helped with headaches...interesting.

Langa
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss