Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « verapamil quiery »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   verapamil quiery
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: verapamil quiery  (Read 317 times)
moi
New Board Newbie
New_Zealand 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

verapamil quiery
« on: Mar 18th, 2005, 10:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all.  Just wondering if anyone can tell me, if verapamil works for you, then do you stay on it all the time?  I met a guy in my area through your site (thank you to whom ever started it) and after telling him my doc perscribed voltarin that doesn't work, he told me 'dont ask your doc, tell him you want verapamil and imigran'. I did and since taking the 'v' I have had 5 ch in 3 weeks.  The imigan helped each time just at the point of wanting to rip the side off my face off which is a bonus. In the first 2 weeks I had several a day start and each time they did I sprinted as fast as I could for a few minutes and most of them buggered off. In the last week, nothing.   Lifes good again.  I still knew the ch were around, shadows ,until a couple of days ago when I feel they may have gone.  I'm a little worried about going off the v.  My head may be playing tricks on me.  So back to my quiery.  Do you take them forever?  I would like to have a babe one day soon, but not with this stuff in me.   My docs a bit of a no go as all the others have been to me.  He said to me that he hasn't ever had any patients with ch,  they must stay at home.  ???????????????????
IP Logged
zrmulcahy
New Board Newbie
USA 

yes

easyz983

Re: verapamil quiery
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 4:34am »

I believe episodics can go off verapamil between cluster cycles.  However, if you get pregnant and the clusters come back, your first line of defense against the beast is gone.  I would hate to be pregnant and have CHs at the same time.    
Are your cycles regular enough that you'd know about how long you'll have before the next bout comes?  If not, or if there's well under a year between them, find something that works and you can take while with child.  I haven't really considered this factor in my drug research (not sure why), so I don't know what you can and can't take.
That's my two cents anyway.  Actually, closer to fourty cents when you factor in inflation back to the late 1800's when the phrase was coined.
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 6:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If you are episodic the strong advice here is that you should come off Verapamil slowly when you believe your cycle has ended, at the first sign of any pain, step the dosage back up, and try again in another week after you have been pain free again.
The experts here recommend episodics don't stay on Verap all the time, and even chronics should take a break from it every few years.

r.e. drugs in pregnancy and during breast feeding, I don't know any prevent which is guaranteed safe, but 02 is fine for the attacks themselves

Wendy
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2005, 6:18am by pubgirl » IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 8:01am »

The verap won't do anything for you accept block the plumbing and render it ineffective when out of cycle.
There has been some discussion about verap actually lengething cycles so taper down and get med free as soon as you can.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19th, 2005, 7:38pm »

Ditto to Wendy,

I'm episodic with several years between cycles.  Verapamil at 480mg/day during cycle has worked wonders for me.  Once I'm fairly sure my cycle is over - all shadows gone, etc. - I slowly wean down 120mg at a time.  I usually spend several weeks at each level, but if I start to get twinges or shadows, I go back up for a bit.  Took me 5 months to wean off this last time, but I'm currently cluster and drug free.  My bottle still has quite alot left in it though, so I'll carefully store it until next time around.  Hope this info helps.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2005, 4:02am »

Hi there,
I'm a chronic. For time being, I'm taking verapamil 600mg/day. I'm hoping that this dose will break my cycle...heh...we'll see.
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss