Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 4:05pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Botox as a treatment for CH? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Botox as a treatment for CH?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Botox as a treatment for CH?  (Read 293 times)
thunter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Botox as a treatment for CH?
« on: Aug 5th, 2005, 3:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My doctor has recommended Botox as a treatment, as regular preventative is not doing much good, still having CH once a day treated by Imitrix. Over a month now. Williing to try anything but Botox injecions are very expensive and not covered by insurance as not ADA for this use. Dr says will eleminate CH for up to 3 months within 2 weeks. Anyone have any experience with this treatment?
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Botox as a treatment for CH?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 8:08am »

A search on PubMed (National Library of Medicine) pulled up: Overall, no evidence, yet, that it's helpful with cluster.

Given, as you point out, the costs involved, I'd want to try the established treatments first. Only if they don't work for you would botox be worth considering.  

This is the a good statement of current practice in treating cluster written by one of the better headache docs in the country. Print it out and use as a point of discussing other options with your doc.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 9:10am »

I've read that Botox injections are providing relief but have found limited clinical information to back up basic information and statements from Docs.  

I would prefer to see the results of independent clinical trials before making a decision on a treatment that is a big money maker for some in the "make me perty" field of medicine.  twocents

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 10:07am »

Just curious Huh.  Which area on the body is the botox injected?
IP Logged

Susan
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 1:56pm »

Hey...

I spoke with Dr. Rosen about Botox injections as they have been recommended for me as well.

Dr. Rosen is from Jefferson Headache clinic and knows his stuff about CH - he spoke at convention. He said that there have been no real studies regarding Botox and CH though there have been many on it with migraines. I asked him what he thought about trying it and he said it was a good idea.... I guess it depends on the person and their case... you know?

They inject you in the face - on both sides and not just the side affected with CH since that would look kinda funny Undecided I cant remember the exact spots, it may vary to where the pain is... sorry...

I hope this helps. I am talking to my neuro about this at my next appointment and see if he still thinks that it is a good idea. In my opinion and I believe from what I took from Dr. Rosen, this sort of treatment doesnt have many risks but other options should be looked at first such as preventative meds especially since it is expensive... just a thought.

Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 2:09pm »

This is what I thought when I heard the mention of Botox....

It is what it is  Shocked
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 3:20am »

As far as i know botox does no good for us clusterheads BUT i know there are some migrainers that it help

No evidence that it helps for CH so far

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 8:13am »

I'd just like to know what Dr. Frankenstein come up with the idea of invecting folks with Botulism?  I just can't comprehend how the leap from "poison in a can"  to "great for ironing out wrinkles" was made.  

I keep pictureing  WHOO, HOO, HOO, AHH, AHH!  Igor It's Alive, It's Alive!

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
clarence
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wake up

nailinmyeye
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 9:07am »

This question has been asked a couple opf times on this board.  I asked it about 6 months ago.  I know that Karla responded that Botox helped her Migraines, but didn't touch her Clusters.  Do a search on this board for Botox - there are a few threads on it.  I didn't go with it, largely because of the anecdotal experiences I received from people on this board.

Casey
IP Logged

NY Yankees Suck!!!

"Bart, don't make fun of Grad students. They just made a terrible life decision," Marge Simpson

Where I live: http://rainfallsoneveryone.com
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 6th, 2005, 5:31pm »

I agree with Svenn. I can't recall an instance where Botox has been effective for CH.  

It may be that your doctor wants to help but is frustrated.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
thunter
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:23pm »

Want to thank all for their respose, it was very helpful and heart warming. I have decided to hold off and continue medication and see if series will pass.
Thanks to everyone!
Thunter
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 1:35am »

Well Botox may not relieve CH but at least we will be unable to have that painful expression on our faces when we have an attack! laugh
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss