Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 1:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Old visitor, back »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Old visitor, back
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Old visitor, back  (Read 279 times)
docblondie
New Board Newbie
USA 

none

WWW Email

Old visitor, back
« on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,
I am returning to say hello and to get established on the board again.
I just entered another difficult cycle. Grrrr!
I am on topamax (300mgs) Verapamil SR, 120mgs- I have low blood pressure and cannot tolerate higher doses.  Also taking perdnisone spurts 80mgs tapering to 10mgs over 5 weeks. Have imitrex (split into 3 doses per shot) My neuro. prescribes the vials rather than the stat dose refils, so it is much easier to load my own insulin syringes- how cool! Also have O2 and ativan to sleep when I am terrified that another HA will hit after I fall asleep- the usual time they strike.
I have an spt. this Friday with my neuro. and will ask about kudzu- but am aware about the imitrex and verapamil dangers of mixing.
Anyone have anything else I am missing about meds. or what else I can do?  I drink 2 gals. of water a day- stay away from the usual triggers.
Do guided imagery and biofeedback. Manage stress...
What am I missing?  any suggestions?
I read the drinking urine link and am not sure about that one...... Undecided  
~chris
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: Old visitor, back
« Reply #1 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You're on a high dose of Topamax...beware of kidney stones ... keep drinking alot of water.

I don't think anyone here will recommend that you drink urine.  Lips Sealed

May your cycle end quickly ... goodluck

PF Wishes
UNsolved
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:51am »

Hi Chris.. ignore the urine thread. I think someone was taking the piss there Wink
Sounds like you are pretty much up to speed! I'm interested in your verap and topomax doasage, I'm just starting on the topomax to work up to that dose but retaining the verap at 120mg. I have extremely low BP too and can't tolerate it but my neuro is reluctant to take me off it altogether hence the minute dose.
Check this website for further kudzu info

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu&PH PSESSID=6caa9365cf330c748256b1e993948db3

I think you are right to check it out with your neuro before taking it especially since you have low BP but there is fantastic anecdotal evidence on threads here especially amongst episodic sufferers so its very encouraging. The above site is put together by one of our own, floridian and is very informative and accurate.
Let us know how you get on with your neuro.. sounds like you will be able to help out alot here with answering others questions and giving support so welcome to the crew!
Pick up an oar, you're rowing next to me!! Grin
Take care
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:53am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 10:49am, unsolved1 wrote:

I don't think anyone here will recommend that you drink urine.  Lips Sealed

May your cycle end quickly ... goodluck

PF Wishes
UNsolved

Hi Chris....  

Sorry you are back, but its nice to meet you...  

Can't we all just forget about the Urine thing...   jaw_drophurl

PFDAN to You !!!  smokin
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:57am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 10:53am, jcmquix wrote:

Can't we all just forget about the Urine thing...   jaw_drophurl
Charlie

What... you mean like water under the bridge???
IP Logged

jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 11:05am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 10:57am, LeLimey wrote:

What... you mean like water under the bridge???

There goes my Lunch again....  hurl

Blech, Blech, Blech......  

hurl
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
docblondie
New Board Newbie
USA 

none

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 11:36am »

LeLimey,
The topamax and verapamil combo seem to make the HA's easier to tolerate- they move down the scale to about a 6. and I seem to have to take less imitrex to stop a HA.  I have been up to 400mgs of topamax for about 7 months w/o side effects (bad ones) only poor taste in my mouth, bad dreams and poor appetite.  I have been up to 480mgs of verap. but got too dizzy when standing and BP went down to below 90/60 which is my normal bp. (90/60) so I had to stop in fear of my heart stopping- not bad compared to a bad cluster ha!
Hope you have a good exp. with topamax.  
~Chris
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:15pm »

Chris wow.. deja vu!
I too got up to 480 on the verap but had to taper back down for the same reasons my normal BP is 90/50. I tend to use O2 99 times out of 100 to abort though since it works so well for me and using my clustermasx means I can abort in 5-10 minutes tops.. usually 5 so I stick with that.
I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on now since we've had alot of similar experiences! The only thing I would say, and I'm sure you are very aware of it, is be careful of the pred. Long term effects are not good. It's a case of weighing up the pain relief against those and I for one will not knock you for wanting to be pain free. I just wouldn't be much of a person if I didn't make you aware of the risks of long term steroids, especially having suffered them myself.
Make the best decision for YOU okay?!!
IP Logged

docblondie
New Board Newbie
USA 

none

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 7:39pm »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 10:51am, LeLimey wrote:
Hi Chris.. ignore the urine thread. I think someone was taking the piss there Wink
Sounds like you are pretty much up to speed! I'm interested in your verap and topomax doasage, I'm just starting on the topomax to work up to that dose but retaining the verap at 120mg. I have extremely low BP too and can't tolerate it but my neuro is reluctant to take me off it altogether hence the minute dose.
Check this website for further kudzu info

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Kudzu&PH PSESSID=6caa9365cf330c748256b1e993948db3

I think you are right to check it out with your neuro before taking it especially since you have low BP but there is fantastic anecdotal evidence on threads here especially amongst episodic sufferers so its very encouraging. The above site is put together by one of our own, floridian and is very informative and accurate.
Let us know how you get on with your neuro.. sounds like you will be able to help out alot here with answering others questions and giving support so welcome to the crew!
Pick up an oar, you're rowing next to me!! Grin
Take care
Helen

Helen,
You sound(type) British + the flag.  My distant brother lives in London- are you anywhere near there- Hackney. Plus, can you explain your signature- pick up an oar, you're rowing next to me- I'm perplexed...
~chris
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 6:44am »

Hello again Chris,
I type with an accent?! No I don't! laugh I don't have an accent you do! Wink
Originally I'm from London, I was born and bred there but I now live in Nottingham which is about 90 minutes by train.
The pick up an oar and start rowing is a standard phrase used here. We're all in this "Boat" of CH together, its a relatively unknown disease, people have a hell of a time getting diagnosed, getting the right meds... getting a cure is going to be an uphill struggle as there simply aren't enough of us to interesst the big drug companies. Therefore if we want to get out of this mess we have to put some effort in oursleves hence the pick up an oar and start rowing! You have a great deal of knowledge about CH and meds from your posts so far, there is alot of help and advice you will be able to share, I think you will be an asset to us here! (Maybe in teaching me English for a start?! Grin )
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss