Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 1:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « can quitting alcohol cause CH? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   can quitting alcohol cause CH?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: can quitting alcohol cause CH?  (Read 1217 times)
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: can quitting alcohol cause CH?
« Reply #25 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Nope.

Kendra lives in Nashville and Rex's pic had Canadian beer in the pic.  Not the same person.   Grin

Kendra...If you are real and you are simply misinformed, let me tell you something.  Everyone here doesn't have the answer.  But we DO have a lot of them.  More so than any other place you will find.

If you are not real...and just selling us something we;ve all heard before, well then:

Bye bye and don't let the door hit you on  the way out.

Linda

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
rextangle

Email

« Reply #26 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Linda, you may be right... but who knows?
As Jonny suggested on the General Board, this could be another transformation of hdido, or happeh, or pcmyk a.k.a. John. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

I recall that happeh had a problem with people who drink and he was a male. Now, he's a woman who advocates drinking.

Huh

I could be wrong, I'm no detective... ahem..
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 4:24pm »

O.K. then.

So..Kendra.   Talk to us and we will do everything we can to help you.

or kick your ass to the curb.  Whichever comes first.

Alcohol is a trigger for almost  every episodic.

Prove that wrong.    

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
sassy_lady
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sassyladysassy  
Email

« Reply #28 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 4:50pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 4:17pm, rextangle wrote:
As Jonny suggested on the General Board, this could be another transformation of hdido, or happeh, or pcmyk a.k.a. John. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

I recall that happeh had a problem with people who drink and he was a male. Now, he's a woman who advocates drinking.

Huh

Bingo !! you all hit the jackpot !!!
sounds like a troll to me !!
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #29 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 4:56pm »

You want to know what I learned about Beer, last time I was in cycle, I got hit so hard which was over 3yrs ago.  

The lesson I learned then, still sticks with me today. I do not have the guts to try and see yet if my cycle is over, it was one of the worse CH attacks I ever had.

Every once in a while I look in the fridge and think, Hmmmm I could have a beer, but the my mind remembers what happened and I just close the door and walk away.  Cry

If you are not sure if its a trigger or not, well I don't advise tring it. Something like Sliding Down a Razor Blade into a Pool of Rubing Alcohol, is what I would compare it to.

PFDAN's to ALL !!!  
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 5:11pm »

Well lets see now.. I can drink spirits. I don't drink much but I can drink if I choose which isn't often.
Based on your theory that Dan's CH were caused by cutting out alcohol and going cold turkey and applying the same logic mine were caused by Pred.
I switched overnight from 60mg a day of Pred to Budesonide, another steroid and 3 dats later had my first CH.
Doesn't make so much sense now does it given that most people here CAN use Pred as a pain break and MOST people here could use alcohol as an instant dance with the beast.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #31 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 5:19pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 4:17pm, rextangle wrote:

Huh

Worth keeping an eye on....  gocrazy

Alot going on here lately.... smokin
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #32 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 7:53pm »

Boozin' will trigger most episodic sufferers, every time. I have NEVER heard of anyone ever say alcohol will prevent or stop a cluster headache.

FACT: phucc the scientists and researchers, alcohol IS NOT a treatment for clusters.

FACT: Nobody, NOBODY, can out drink a cluster headaches.

And,........
blood circulation in the brain my ass!
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #33 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 9:28pm »

Let's see, drinking piss, Kendra agrees.

stop drinking, Kendra agrees.  

Well, my ears are pricked.

IP Logged
Kendra
New Board Newbie
USA 

think outside the box

« Reply #34 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 11:00pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 9:28pm, Kevin_M wrote:
Let's see, drinking piss, Kendra agrees.

stop drinking, Kendra agrees.  

Hi. I'm not sure what you mean here, because I certainly thought the whole notion of drinking piss is completely disgusting.

Look, many of you seem pretty close-minded.  I'm not telling any of you to go out and drink! I'm pointing out why drinking, for some people, in light of Daniel_tn's scenario, seemed plausible as a treatment option.

My neurologist is the one that told me that bp and blood circulation in the brain is completely relevant. In light of this, and in light of daniel_tn's situation, I think it IS plausible.  It's a vasodilator just like oxygen.  So, why couldn't it work for SOME people? Maybe not those of you who have been really snide towards me and my posts, but some others who haven't found it to be a trigger?  

Anyways, I'm not trolling on here. Who would have known that making a simple suggestion would cause all this kind of close-minded nastiness?  I am a nurse though (not practicing anymore), and I do understand how some elements make lists of triggers and nontriggers despite the lack of scientific evidence.  If a marked amount of people cite alcohol as a trigger, it will be included in the lists of possible triggers.  It doesn't mean that, for everyone, it would be a trigger and, in fact, I still think that in theory, since it's a vasodilator, it could possibly work as a treatment for some people, in this case. Wrong? Maybe. It's just a suggestion based on logic.

I understand that all of you/us live with an immense amount of pain and are considerably cranky at times.   This is the only excuse I can come up with for your considerable crankiness towards my posts.

IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #35 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 11:46pm »

So wat kind of beer do you drink Kendra.....does it trigger or help you ?  Your not workin for Budwiser are you ? This puds for you Pam  

Oh yeah......I think there are about 4,000 members here and seems to me all of them say booze puts there dick in the dirt for ch attacks. BIG odds there.
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #36 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 11:59pm »

When I'm just in my normal "chronic" "cycle" I can drink. If I'm in one of my "severe" episodes, I can't. Big time trigger. Sorry Kendra...I'm not buyin' it.  Undecided
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Shiraj
New Board Newbie
USA 

ow

king0fsnake

« Reply #37 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:07am »

Who wants to hear a funny story.

During one of my cycles before I knew what CH was, I tried using alcohol to try to get rid of the pain. I would drink a glass of wine right at the start of an attack. Then i would wonder why it hurt for 6 hours, maybe i didnt drink enough.?!

Thank god I am slightly smarter now. Its funny what you can laugh about now that its in the past.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #38 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:08am »

Hi Shiraj!!! Good to see you. I hope you are well. hugs, nani
IP Logged

Shiraj
New Board Newbie
USA 

ow

king0fsnake

« Reply #39 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:19am »

Hi nani! im surprised you remember me. Im doing okay as I can in the middle of a mild cycle. Just lurking this place when im bored.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #40 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:22am »

Surprised I remember you? Honey, you're one of the kudzu pioneers! Are you trying it this time? I hope something is working. Sadly, I've fallen off the kudzu vine...on to something else.  Undecided  But it's working pretty well, so onward and upward!
Always good to hear from you, sweetie! hugs and pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #41 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:26am »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 11:00pm, Kendra wrote:

Hi. I'm not sure what you mean here, because I certainly thought the whole notion of drinking piss is completely disgusting.

Yes Kendra, I read the body of your post only, regarding the treatment, listing the Chinese information and your commentary.   I certainly had erred in misinterpreting your view.   Sorry I misread that in following these two threads.  I'll not comment further on your posts.  

Kevin M
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #42 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:56am »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 11:00pm, Kendra wrote:

Look, many of you seem pretty close-minded.  Close minded? Where the hell have you been for the 6 years this message board has been up and running? There have been many hundreds if not thousands of posts stating that alcohol IS a trigger. There has NEVER, EVER been a post that said alcohol will be any help at all I'm pointing out why drinking, for some people, in light of Daniel_tn's scenario, seemed plausible as a treatment option. Did you even read what Daniel_tn said? First he ask if drinking was ok and the he agree that drinking is not a good idea.

My neurologist is the one that told me that bp and blood circulation in the brain is completely relevant. In light of this, and in light of daniel_tn's situation, I think it IS plausible.  So, you're saying that one neurologist, yours, and one post from Daniel, that disagree with you, is proof positive that alcohol is a cluster treatment even though hundreds of cluster sufferers say it isn't?It's a vasodilator just like oxygen.  Why do you keep comparing alcohol with oxygen? They both may, or may not be, vasodilatos but they have nothing to do with one another.So, why couldn't it work for SOME people? For the simple FACT that it just won't. Screw the researchers, neurologist, scientists that might say alcohol might be a treatment. Proof that it is NOT a treatment comes from the cluster experts. The sufferers here Maybe not those of you who have been really snide towards me and my posts, but some others who haven't found it to be a trigger?  Yes, it has been stated here that some people find alcohol is not a trigger.But NOBODY has found it to be a treatment.

Anyways, I'm not trolling on here. Who would have known that making a simple suggestion would cause all this kind of close-minded nastiness?  You're beating a dead horse, Kendra. You have been told the FACTS but you insist to ignore them and keep on with your incorrect theoryI am a nurse though (not practicing anymore), and I do understand how some elements make lists Lists are for those that sell books and make money from other's suffering. FACTS are what pay the bills here.of triggers and nontriggers despite the lack of scientific evidence.  If a marked amount of people cite alcohol as a trigger, it will be included in the lists of possible triggers.  It doesn't mean that, for everyone, it would be a trigger and, in fact, I still think that in theory, since it's a vasodilator, it could possibly work as a treatment for some people, in this case. Wrong? Yes, wrong. Nice theory but it is WRONG!

From your messages it sounds like you may have a drinking problem and you want us to approve your "treatment" so you can have an excuse to continue your drunken life style.

Crankiness my ass.  

Have a nice day  Smiley
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Kendra
New Board Newbie
USA 

think outside the box

« Reply #43 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 9:44am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 12:56am, BobG wrote:

From your messages it sounds like you may have a drinking problem and you want us to approve your "treatment" so you can have an excuse to continue your drunken life style.

Crankiness my ass.  

Have a nice day  Smiley

Gee!  
First of all, I don't even drink.  I mean, I have a drink once or twice a year (and, it's not a trigger for me).  So, your theory-- which is neither based on logic nor based on facts or ANYTHING sensible at all-- is wrong.

Second of all, my post most certainly didn't disagree with Daniel's post.  I appreciate the care you took with your response towards me, but you are incorrect in this matter. Daniel wrote that he drank and then quit drinking. Within a couple of weeks after quitting drinking (I pm'd him for verification), he started getting cluster headaches despite the fact he had NEVER gotten cluster headaches prior to this.  His drinking behavior lasted 20 years.  His nondrinking behavior lasted two weeks before these CH occurred.

Daniel was asking if quitting drinking could cause CH.  All I did was suggest that it could since, after ceasing the  regular drinking Daniel attested to, there was an alteration in blood chemistry and circulation and possible BP changes.  These are the types of things that COULD cause or treat CH!!

I have not been on this board the past 6 years, as you are aware-- unless you still think I'm masquerading as a previous poster.  But, posing this idea shouldn't cause such an acrimonious response.  My neurologist, by the way, didn't suggest that drinking could be used as a treatment.  What he suggested was that anything that altered/changed circulation in the brain COULD trigger or possibly treat CH.  He suggested that anything that has these effects could have either a positive or negative affect on sufferers.  Quitting drinking COULD be a trigger if one was drinking regularly and steadily.  So, if Daniel was drinking steadily and regularly without CH, and then quit, then started getting CH, it WOULD SEEM TO FOLLOW that there is a possibility that FOR DANIEL, alcohol kept the CH at bay in the past.  How are you to say this is impossible?  And, if this is the case, who's to say that some people would be helped by it?  Alcohol is a drug the same way all these other drugs used for treatment are.  Some help, some don't.  Maybe for some people it would help.  Probably for most people, it wouldn't help.  But, you are absolutely wrong to just dismiss the idea that for everyone, always, it could never ever help.

Further, all I was suggesting that was that it be considered.  Alcohol supposed to trigger CH in half of all CH sufferers.  For these people, considering alcohol is a scary prospect.  This, combined with common literature, would obviously propagate the idea that alcohol could NEVER be helpful.  Consequently, I can understand some of the hostility here.  However, for those that alcohol doesn't affect negatively, who really knows if it could possibly help? There haven't been any studies done on this, and, since many have cited it as a trigger, it hasn't even been considered realistically-- has been dismissed out of hand.  Although, it seems that, if so many drugs that sometimes are shown to be effective physiologically in the same way that alcohol causes physiological changes and all these other drugs have SOME positive effects for SOME people, maybe there should be a study done on the possibility that alcohol could be effective too-- for SOME.  If it helped a small segment of those it hasn't proven to actually be a CH trigger for, then it would be worth considering.  

This is only, of course, if one isn't small-minded and closed to any possibilities outside their own frame of reference and are willing to think outside the box.

If someone ever does a study on this, be sure not to volunteer.  And, yeah, you do seem quite cranky.

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2005, 9:47am by Kendra » IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #44 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 9:52am »

Lets see Kendra.. 9 posts and what have you done? What have you learned? (Sweet FA judging by your attitude) and what have you helped anyone with? (See previous comment.)
I think its time for a quick squirt of TROLL BE GONE!

IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #45 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 9:59am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 9:44am, Kendra wrote:

Gee!  
First of all, I don't even drink.  I mean, I have a drink once or twice a year (and, it's not a trigger for me).  So, your theory-- which is neither based on logic nor based on facts or ANYTHING sensible at all-- is wrong.

Second of all, my post most certainly didn't disagree with Daniel's post.  I appreciate the care you took with your response towards me, but you are incorrect in this matter. Daniel wrote that he drank and then quit drinking. Within a couple of weeks after quitting drinking (I pm'd him for verification), he started getting cluster headaches despite the fact he had NEVER gotten cluster headaches prior to this.  His drinking behavior lasted 20 years.  His nondrinking behavior lasted two weeks before these CH occurred.

Daniel was asking if quitting drinking could cause CH.  All I did was suggest that it could since, after ceasing the  regular drinking Daniel attested to, there was an alteration in blood chemistry and circulation and possible BP changes.  These are the types of things that COULD cause or treat CH!!

I have not been on this board the past 6 years, as you are aware-- unless you still think I'm masquerading as a previous poster.  But, posing this idea shouldn't cause such an acrimonious response.  My neurologist, by the way, didn't suggest that drinking could be used as a treatment.  What he suggested was that anything that altered/changed circulation in the brain COULD trigger or possibly treat CH.  He suggested that anything that has these effects could have either a positive or negative affect on sufferers.  Quitting drinking COULD be a trigger if one was drinking regularly and steadily.  So, if Daniel was drinking steadily and regularly without CH, and then quit, then started getting CH, it WOULD SEEM TO FOLLOW that there is a possibility that FOR DANIEL, alcohol kept the CH at bay in the past.  How are you to say this is impossible?  And, if this is the case, who's to say that some people would be helped by it?  Alcohol is a drug the same way all these other drugs used for treatment are.  Some help, some don't.  Maybe for some people it would help.  Probably for most people, it wouldn't help.  But, you are absolutely wrong to just dismiss the idea that for everyone, always, it could never ever help.

Further, all I was suggesting that was that it be considered.  Alcohol supposed to trigger CH in half of all CH sufferers.  For these people, considering alcohol is a scary prospect.  This, combined with common literature, would obviously propagate the idea that alcohol could NEVER be helpful.  Consequently, I can understand some of the hostility here.  However, for those that alcohol doesn't affect negatively, who really knows if it could possibly help? There haven't been any studies done on this, and, since many have cited it as a trigger, it hasn't even been considered realistically-- has been dismissed out of hand.  Although, it seems that, if so many drugs that sometimes are shown to be effective physiologically in the same way that alcohol causes physiological changes and all these other drugs have SOME positive effects for SOME people, maybe there should be a study done on the possibility that alcohol could be effective too-- for SOME.  If it helped a small segment of those it hasn't proven to actually be a CH trigger for, then it would be worth considering.  

This is only, of course, if one isn't small-minded and closed to any possibilities outside their own frame of reference and are willing to think outside the box.

If someone ever does a study on this, be sure not to volunteer.  And, yeah, you do seem quite cranky.

You are the one who came here and posted, you are trying to tell us that Alcohol is not a trigger.. ???
Well from what I have seen on THIS SITE it is a trigger for most, and I have not seen ANYONE here who has gotten rid of CH from Alcohol...

I don't think you should be BANGIN YOUR DRUM unless you have FACTS to state that Alcohol is a cure for some who have CH, SORRY... we have the facts here of what Alcohol does to most of the poeple during a CH cycle...
I really Pisses Off the BEAST in our BRAINS....

Please go BANG YOUR DRUM about Alcohol someplace else..

Oh Yea.. If you are going to take OFFENSE when someone questions your replys to a post, live with it...
this is what this site is based on FACTS from ALOT OF GOOD PEOPLE... Not ONE Person...  

Thank You... Have a PF Day....

Charlie.... (a BEER LOVER when not in cycle) smokin
IP Logged

Kendra
New Board Newbie
USA 

think outside the box

« Reply #46 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:01am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 9:52am, LeLimey wrote:
Lets see Kendra.. 9 posts and what have you done? What have you learned? (Sweet FA judging by your attitude) and what have you helped anyone with? (See previous comment.)

In my brief tenure here I have learned that if accepted knowledge is even questioned, I will not make many friends.  I would like to think that, hopefully, some of the folks that haven't attacked my ideas still have critical thinking and free thinking skills and respect those who attempt to share the same.

IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #47 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:01am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 9:52am, LeLimey wrote:

I am starting to think the same thing... I mean... give me a break.... Alcohol as a cure..... If only I could be so LUCKY......

Charlie
IP Logged

Kendra
New Board Newbie
USA 

think outside the box

« Reply #48 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:04am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 9:59am, jcmquix wrote:

You are the one who came here and posted, you are trying to tell us that Alcohol is not a trigger.. ???
Well from what I have seen on THIS SITE it is a trigger for most, and I have not seen ANYONE here who has gotten rid of CH from Alcohol...

No, Charlie & jcmquix, that isn't what I suggested. I know alcohol is a trigger for about half of those that get CH.  For these people, I wouldn't suggest otherwise.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:06am by Kendra » IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #49 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:06am »

Hey.. LeLimey.... I am ready to throw the sign....  

Ok... Are you going to sell us something then..????

Charlie  smokin
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss