Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 1:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « can quitting alcohol cause CH? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   can quitting alcohol cause CH?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: can quitting alcohol cause CH?  (Read 1216 times)
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

Re: can quitting alcohol cause CH?
« Reply #50 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 9th, 2005, 10:04am, Kendra wrote:

No, Charlie, that isn't what I suggested. I know alcohol is a trigger for about half of those that get CH.  For these people, I wouldn't suggest otherwise.

Half... you mean 50%... I think you better do some more reading..... Its way more than HALF ..50%....

Bye Bye.......Go get some real facts..... Thanks

Charlie  smokin
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #51 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:09am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 10:01am, Kendra wrote:

In my brief tenure here I have learned that if accepted knowledge is even questioned, I will not make many friends.  I would like to think that, hopefully, some of the folks that haven't attacked my ideas still have critical thinking and free thinking skills and respect those who attempt to share the same.

Its not a case of critical thinking or free thinking - that is one of the most inflamnatory and pathetic statements you've made yet and if its the best you can do to back your position then you are really a mental midget aren't you? I know you like that phrase!
There is more anecdotal evidence on this site and in any neuro's office than I can shake a troll poking stick at to prove that alcohol is a trigger. Your intention here is not to inform, it is not to make friends, it is not even to learn. It is to promote discord. Bad luck mate. We're onto you.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #52 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 10:11am »

Gee Kendra! You question why anyone would question you directly on your statements or your suggestion that alcohol could be a treatment "theoretically" for CH.

Well, I'll put a slightly different spin on it for you. You see Kendra, this is a family that exists on this board. We're a family that understands this pain firsthand. And when someone makes a suggestion that an unbelievably high percentage of us know is idiotic, that if taken, could result in some of us throwing ourselves in the way of a moving train, we react.

This condition leads many to desperate measures to alleviate a CH attack. Having in the back of one's mind that a couple belts of Wild Turkey might help is a "thought" that many have to arrive at dispelling. In fact, for many, not being able to have a glass of wine with friends, or a beer with buddies, is kind of a sad reality when in cycle. For some of our family, the challenge of facing the reality of CH makes alcohol an unhealthy part of our lives to begin with.  

So, to have someone pop in and start planting ideas that alcohol might just "help", in theory, you're gonna find that a few of us hone right in on the source of the statement and ascertain why one would make the statement and if said person is talking out of their ass, or simply irresponsible not understanding the whole picture here.

So, get over yourself and BACK OFF on this. It isn't worth all the theoretical blah blah blah. Get over it.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #53 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:23pm »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 9:44am, Kendra wrote:

yeah, you do seem quite cranky.

Thank you for noticing. I'm worked many years to develop that style. It's mine and I'm keeping it.

Have a nice day, sweetie.  Wink
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #54 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:26pm »

I believe that O2 works because it is a vasoconstrictor.  Your brain wants a very specific amount of oxygen.  When you super load your oxygen content your brain says I've got enough oxygen and starts to constrict the blood vessels to decrease the amount of O2 it is receiving.  Least that's what Ueli taught me.

I'm a recovering alcoholic.  For the first 20 years of my cluster life I drank.  I had a cluster cycle every 8-9 months.  I used alcohol as the test to see if my cluster was really over.  I even tried drinking my way through an attack once (man, never ever try that).

When I quit drinking at age 40, my clusters immediately jumped to every 2+ years.  Was it no alcohol or old age?  I don't know but I do know that CH and alcohol don't mix (except for chronics, they seem to be able to drink anyway).
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #55 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 12:42pm »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 9:44am, Kendra wrote:

Gee!  
First of all, I don't even drink.  I mean, I have a drink once or twice a year (and, it's not a trigger for me).  So, your theory-- which is neither based on logic nor based on facts or ANYTHING sensible at all-- is wrong.

Second of all, my post most certainly didn't disagree with Daniel's post.  I appreciate the care you took with your response towards me, but you are incorrect in this matter. Daniel wrote that he drank and then quit drinking. Within a couple of weeks after quitting drinking (I pm'd him for verification), he started getting cluster headaches despite the fact he had NEVER gotten cluster headaches prior to this.  His drinking behavior lasted 20 years.  His nondrinking behavior lasted two weeks before these CH occurred.

Daniel was asking if quitting drinking could cause CH.  All I did was suggest that it could since, after ceasing the  regular drinking Daniel attested to, there was an alteration in blood chemistry and circulation and possible BP changes.  These are the types of things that COULD cause or treat CH!!

I have not been on this board the past 6 years, as you are aware-- unless you still think I'm masquerading as a previous poster.  But, posing this idea shouldn't cause such an acrimonious response.  My neurologist, by the way, didn't suggest that drinking could be used as a treatment.  What he suggested was that anything that altered/changed circulation in the brain COULD trigger or possibly treat CH.  He suggested that anything that has these effects could have either a positive or negative affect on sufferers.  Quitting drinking COULD be a trigger if one was drinking regularly and steadily.  So, if Daniel was drinking steadily and regularly without CH, and then quit, then started getting CH, it WOULD SEEM TO FOLLOW that there is a possibility that FOR DANIEL, alcohol kept the CH at bay in the past.  How are you to say this is impossible?  And, if this is the case, who's to say that some people would be helped by it?  Alcohol is a drug the same way all these other drugs used for treatment are.  Some help, some don't.  Maybe for some people it would help.  Probably for most people, it wouldn't help.  But, you are absolutely wrong to just dismiss the idea that for everyone, always, it could never ever help.

Further, all I was suggesting that was that it be considered.  Alcohol supposed to trigger CH in half of all CH sufferers.  For these people, considering alcohol is a scary prospect.  This, combined with common literature, would obviously propagate the idea that alcohol could NEVER be helpful.  Consequently, I can understand some of the hostility here.  However, for those that alcohol doesn't affect negatively, who really knows if it could possibly help? There haven't been any studies done on this, and, since many have cited it as a trigger, it hasn't even been considered realistically-- has been dismissed out of hand.  Although, it seems that, if so many drugs that sometimes are shown to be effective physiologically in the same way that alcohol causes physiological changes and all these other drugs have SOME positive effects for SOME people, maybe there should be a study done on the possibility that alcohol could be effective too-- for SOME.  If it helped a small segment of those it hasn't proven to actually be a CH trigger for, then it would be worth considering.  

This is only, of course, if one isn't small-minded and closed to any possibilities outside their own frame of reference and are willing to think outside the box.

If someone ever does a study on this, be sure not to volunteer.  And, yeah, you do seem quite cranky.

I sense much anger in you young Jedi.  The bottom line is that for the VAST majority of us alcohol is a big time no-no when in cycle.  It would be like suggesting a recovering crack addict to have a little toot because he's having the shakes - not a good idea.  

In the words of Bill Murray from Stripes, "Lighten up Francis".
IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
floridian

Email

« Reply #56 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 1:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Twice you said:

on Aug 8th, 2005, 2:14pm, Kendra wrote:
 Alcohol is a vasodilator.  ...   For instance, oxygen is a vasodilator, too, and helps a lot of people with CH.

But oxygen is a vasoconstrictor, as are the triptans.  

There is a theoretical possibility that some people might have a change in vasoconstriction/dilation after they quit drinking. I would call this an aggravating feature, not the cause of the clusters.  Sometimes a stress or change to the body seems to drive the beast away, sometimes it opens a door to the pain.  

There could also be a change in blood pressure, nitric oxide, and lots of other physiological features of the body caused by alcohol cessation, especially when alcohol consumption was frequent.  In the long run, I think the body would adjust and do better without the alcohol. An alcohol consumption of zero is generally advised when in cycle, in moderation (if one chooses) when not susceptible.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2005, 2:06pm by floridian » IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #57 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 2:00pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 11:00pm, Kendra wrote:
Look, many of you seem pretty close-minded.  I'm not telling any of you to go out and drink! I'm pointing out why drinking, for some people, in light of Daniel_tn's scenario, seemed plausible as a treatment option.

My neurologist is the one that told me that bp and blood circulation in the brain is completely relevant. In light of this, and in light of daniel_tn's situation, I think it IS plausible.  It's a vasodilator just like oxygen.  So, why couldn't it work for SOME people? Maybe not those of you who have been really snide towards me and my posts, but some others who haven't found it to be a trigger?

Yes, I'm close minded on some subjects, like I do not believe that vasodilation does help a CH attack. I believe even less that oxygen is a vasodilator.

It can only be a troll, certainly not a (former) nurse that writes such bullshit.

smokin
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #58 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 2:42pm »

This theory is almost as intersting as sex causing CH, and abstinance as a treatment...

Oh will wonders never cease laugh laugh
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
rextangle

Email

« Reply #59 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 2:43pm »

Kendra,

Wow, you're swimming in Poo-poo now aren't you? Grin

The only thing that kind of puzzles me is the fact that you haven't tried to deny the possibility of being John.
A.K.A. Happeh, H-Dildo, PCMYK or others I could be missing.

Again, I'm no Columbo either but... ma'm... just one more thing.... smokin
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #60 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 7:24pm »

I'm close minded when it comes to pain.......all you can think of is how bad it hurts and you close yor mind to the outside....so I guess you were rite about sumthing. Your prize will be some green tea, asprin or advil (your choice) and some sinus tabs.....also a case of beer. Closed minded troll sniffer Pam  

I smell troll......what do you like on your troll ?  Grin
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Melissa

Email

« Reply #61 on: Aug 9th, 2005, 7:27pm »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 7:24pm, cootie wrote:
Pam  

I smell troll......what do you like on your troll ?

Why, "Hot Sauce From Hell" of course!!! Cheesy
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #62 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 7:17am »

on Aug 9th, 2005, 7:24pm, cootie wrote:
I smell troll......what do you like on your troll ?  Grin

Size 11 boot-prints, of course. STOMP! STOMP! STOMP!!laugh
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #63 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 9:25am »

Your question has been on my mind.  Alcohol is known to be a vaso-dialator.  This dialation enlarges the blood flow paths throughout the body which is the same condition that occurs during onset of headaches.  I say,  why taunt it?
IP Logged

Susan
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss