Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 4:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « can quitting alcohol cause CH? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   can quitting alcohol cause CH?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: can quitting alcohol cause CH?  (Read 1219 times)
daniel_tn
New Board Newbie
USA 

This mofo ain't gonna win!!

can quitting alcohol cause CH?
« on: Aug 7th, 2005, 12:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huh Lips Sealed
hi.

i quit drinking cold turkey about 1.5 months back. within a week i started getting CH-style headaches. Now that i understand the nomenclature of this situation, these were shadows. In the last three weeks i wake up at 3 in the morning almost daily from a sound sleep with these vicious CH classic headaches.

could quitting drinking have triggered CH?

i think this must look weird but i'm really wondering about it. i'm now experimenting with a drink here and there, hoping that i can go back to my non-CH days. the idea of having these headaches for the rest of my life definitely makes me want to drink heavily Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy beer

-dan
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2005, 12:48am by daniel_tn » IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: can quitting alcohol cause CH?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 1:40am »

No
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

daniel_tn
New Board Newbie
USA 

This mofo ain't gonna win!!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 1:48am »

>no

honestly, i didn't think it could, or would. but, being a newbie, i had to ask.  
 Smiley
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 2:16am »

I drank my share of beer and alcohol when my CH appeared in 1969. I was 23. It was never a trigger for me and although I have been pain free for 13 years, it wasn't a factor. That's not true for everyone but quitting drinking as a cause? Never heard of that.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 2:56am »

on Aug 7th, 2005, 1:48am, daniel_tn wrote:
i had to ask.

Keep asking questions.....its the only way youll get answers  Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 8:40pm »

I've never had that problem and haven't heard of any one else having it until now.
IP Logged

Kendra
New Board Newbie
USA 

think outside the box

« Reply #6 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 2:14pm »

Hi.  I think that quitting alcohol could ABSOLUTELY have an effect on CH.  Alcohol is a vasodilator.  If you were drinking a lot, and your body was used to regular doses of vasodilators and then you stopped, then your body could very well react to those effects.  For instance, oxygen is a vasodilator, too, and helps a lot of people with CH.

I know many people here believe alcohol to be a trigger for CH, but really, anything that changes your blood circulation can be triggers that induce CH or can help with CH.  It would depend on the person. For instance, caffiene is a vasoconstrictor, but also helps some people with CH.

Sometimes, when there's no definitive answer for certain medical questions, physicians and researchers will state correlations between substances or causes and effects.  For instance, if there had been a study done regarding sufferers and their alcohol consumption and certain people have cluster headaches AND also ingest alcohol, those doing the study will state a correlation.  That's all. Just a correlation. This means that there may or may not be an effect of CH when you ingest alcohol.  This really doesn't mean that those that have CH are triggered by alcohol, although for some, that could be the case. It may mean that a substantial amount of people who have CH consume alcohol. Or, that some alcohol drinkers also have CH.  It wouldn't mean that it's a trigger for everyone.    

As a matter of fact, if there hasn't been a study done, all the researchers are stating is that there is some evidence to suggest a connection.  And, as we can see from all the CH literature on this site and others, that there is, INDEED, a connection.  But, there may be some people that are actually helped by alcohol just like there may be some people that find that caffiene could trigger a CH.  

Obviously, if you were drinking regularly and never had a ch, and then quit and then now have them, well, that sounds as if there's a connection for you. But, there probably hasn't been a study done regarding this, yet.

And, again, ANYTHING that would effect your blood circulation in the brain could effect CH.  Water, for instance, probably works for a lot of people, too, since massive water consumption would effect blood pressure and circulation.  This doesn't mean water will work for everyone.

IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 2:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

So Kendra, what you're saying is that some shyte works and some shyte doesn't...

You're no Columbo! Wink

Rex

PS: Alcohol is a definite trigger for me.. haven't touched it since Nov. 2004.
IP Logged
Kendra
New Board Newbie
USA 

think outside the box

« Reply #8 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 2:38pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 2:23pm, rextangle wrote:
So Kendra, what you're saying is that some shyte works and some shyte doesn't...

You're no Columbo! Wink

Rex

PS: Alcohol is a definite trigger for me.. haven't touched it since Nov. 2004.

hahah. . .  
Actually, what I was saying is that most people here and most sites I've seen seem to believe that alcohol is trigger. Period.  What I'm saying is i bet for some people, it would do the exact opposite. Actually help them.  That hasn't been discussed on this site or any other site.  Some people may have a treatment available without a prescription right in their wetbar.  
 me&mb
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:17pm by Kendra » IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 2:41pm »

LMAO! Grin

Yep, you're right. Everybody has different triggers... and some shyte works, some shyte doesn't. That goes for triggers, meds, alt. treatments, etc...
We're all different.

From one detective to another,  
Cheers!

Sherlock Rex
IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:01pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 2:38pm, Kendra wrote:

Some people may have a treatment available without a prescription right in their wetbar.  
 me&mb

Wouldn't THAT be lovely!  

sayyes beer me&mb
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:06pm »

Alcohol is a trigger for me. Last time I drank was July 3rd and I paid for it !

UNsolved
IP Logged
Kendra
New Board Newbie
USA 

think outside the box

« Reply #12 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:06pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 2:41pm, rextangle wrote:
LMAO! Grin

Yep, you're right. Everybody has different triggers... and some shyte works, some shyte doesn't. That goes for triggers, meds, alt. treatments, etc...
We're all different.

From one detective to another,  
Cheers!

Sherlock Rex

Even though you are obviously missing the point (being, of course, that alcohol consumption should be addressed as a treatment rather than a trigger only-- as it has been thus far), I do appreciate your willingness to keep attempting to summarize my post.  I think, however, you can rest assured that people can draw their own conclusions without your continued assistance.  Thank you, though, for your perseverance.    

laugh
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:07pm by Kendra » IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:08pm »

Kendra, you are welcome! Smiley

PS: Some shyte works, some shyte doesn't!!! LMAO laugh
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:14pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 3:06pm, Kendra wrote:

alcohol consumption should be addressed as a treatment rather than a trigger only

Huh You've got to be kidding
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:22pm »

alcohol consumption should be addressed as a treatment rather than a trigger only ...

Ok, thanks unsolved, I'm glad I'm not the only one Huh
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #16 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:29pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 2:38pm, Kendra wrote:

Actually, what I was saying is that most people here and most sites I've seen seem to believe that alcohol is trigger. Period.  What I'm saying is i bet for some people, it would do the exact opposite. Actually help them.  That hasn't been discussed on this site or any other site.  Some people may have a treatment available without a prescription right in their wetbar.  
 me&mb

This would be like a trip through the looking glass into "wonderland". A place where up means down, black means white and no means yes. What a world that would be, you feel as though you're in cycle and your biggest decision would be either doing a shot of Jack or having it as a Jack and Coke. Instead of prepping for a cycle by stocking up with Oxygen and Red Bull, you'd just go to the store and get a couple cases of Corona and limes. That'd be dandy.
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:30pm »

I thought she was going out on a limb on that one.
that's quite a stretCH.

I think somebody's been hitting the wetbar a little too hard.....
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Kendra
New Board Newbie
USA 

think outside the box

« Reply #18 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:33pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 3:14pm, unsolved1 wrote:

Huh You've got to be kidding

Theoretically, it can work for some people since it's a vasodilator just like oxygen.  Anything that changes your bp can have an effect.  For some, positive, and for some, negative.  Uh, Rex, isn't that just what you said in your last two or three posts?  

Daniel_tn's headaches didn't begin until a week after he stopped drinking after drinking regularly for a while.  I'm glad that those who have discovered it's a trigger don't use it, but it should be looked at as a possible positive thing for some people.
IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:34pm »

Kendra after using booze for CH treatment:

IT WORKS!!!!! Grin
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #20 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:36pm »

i didn't see that Lips Sealed

(rex, you were the guy when we were kids that in the midst of a healthy snowball fight, eventually found the big chunk of ice to throw and ended the snowball fight right there weren't you?) Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:40pm by seasonalboomer » IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #21 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:42pm »

Looks like my kind of girl. Do you have her phone number?  laugh Lips Sealed Grin

Your "Gettin' Wild Indian/Stone Irish Drunk Tonight" friend,
-Frankzilla
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
rextangle

Email

« Reply #22 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:49pm »

on Aug 8th, 2005, 3:36pm, seasonalboomer wrote:
i didn't see that Lips Sealed

(rex, you were the guy when we were kids that in the midst of a healthy snowball fight, eventually found the big chunk of ice to throw and ended the snowball fight right there weren't you?) Wink

Uh... maybe? Wink
IP Logged
Kendra
New Board Newbie
USA 

think outside the box

« Reply #23 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:50pm »

Grin

funny funny!
Look, all I'm saying (from Daniel_tn's post) is that some people find O2 a benefit and many MDs will prescribe it because there is a chance it could work even though it doesn't work for everyone.  Some people will find that some meds work.  Subsequently,  they are on the list of meds that are prescribed, even though they don't work for everyone.  Unless Daniel_tn doesn't know what he's talking about-- and I believe he does-- then, it's possible that quitting drinking, or quitting the equivalent of taking vasodilators-- could trigger CHs.    

I think it has merit, even if you don't want to consider it.  Anything that changes circulation in the brain could have a positive or negative effect on CHs.  Like Rex was so kind to continue to point out, some "shyte" works, and some doesn't.  Theoretically, this makes sense.  We could just dismiss it out of hand because some people have had adverse reactions, but there may be a whole group of people who might get some type of relief from it (not exactly like that girl in the pic   Wink ) who haven't even considered it because of the belief that it will never be helpful.   In theory, since it's a vasodilator, it should have a positive effect for some people.  That's all I mean.  I really am not out to offend anyone's sensibilities.  Obviously, many of you have had negative effects.   Obviously, enough people have reported negative effects that it's been put on the list of possible triggers.  But, this doesn't mean that there aren't some people that it would have a beneficial effect for.

IP Logged
rextangle

Email

« Reply #24 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 3:52pm »

Ok, when I said some shyte works, some doesn't, I didn't mean to agree with you "Booze should be considered a treatment"... DUH!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss