Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 5:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Theta brainwave state relieves migraine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Theta brainwave state relieves migraine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Theta brainwave state relieves migraine  (Read 471 times)
stevelord
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Theta brainwave state relieves migraine
« on: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I met a woman recently who told me she had not been without some level of migraine for 30 years due to a congenital malformation of her brain and that nothing had worked and I suggested she try a type of white noise which I will describe below which one can do just by staring at the static on a tv set when its not on a broadcasting channel which I had tried for other medical problems and it had the following effect (among others) and I was wondering if someone could try it (I dont know if she said for 15 minutes - my vague memory of the time it took-not sure) and let us know if this antimigraine response is universal--

You may have heard of the healing effect of so called white noise. And I heard Art Bell the radio host say that the random pattern of snow or static on a tv screen is an example of that type of white noise randomness. So I started unhooking the cable or turning the TV to another channel other than the one that allowed my cable (channel 4) to get an example of that pure snow or static to see what it did to me when I stared at it. The static sound was irritating so I turned the sound off while I stared at the screen on static. I made sure the channel I had it on produced pure static (the black dots jumping around on a white screen) without any bleed through of any broadcast and I held my stare on the screen and this is what I experienced:

An immediate profound antianxiety effect, a calmness, a sleepiness that if I wasnt alert could put me to sleep and a feeling of well being, of pleasure all immediate although the sleepiness progressed with time sometimes and none of these responses stopped no matter how long I stared or how many days in a row I did it.

So I looked up the effect of white noise on the internet and it said that it created the theta brainwave state which was the brainwave state of the fetus and which was thought to be a healing brainwave state. It said it was the brainwave state that we had as we dropped off to sleep. It further said that melatonin was created in greater amounts in that brainwave state and that melatonin had its own sleep inducing and health effect too. It also stated that it created endorphins, which are an anti pain chemical in us and also make us feel good.  

THis is a different type of so called white noise than one gets from a fan or other constant sound, its all frequencies at once Ive been told of course I stare at its visual representation on the screen NOT listen to it like is commonly done and which makes me feel like my nerves are being sandpapered (listening to it -thus I turn the sound OFF.

So can someone please let me (us) know about the effect if you want to try it?  

Thanks Steve Lord

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:22pm by stevelord » IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Theta brainwave state relieves migraine
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:35pm »

ya might want to add a disclaimer because I'm sure someone will try this:

If you suffer from epilepsy or any kind of seizure disorder DO NOT attempt.  

If you are sensitive to bright lights, have cardiovascular problems, or if you are taking psychoactive drugs or have suffered a concussion or head injury DO NOT attempt.

In addition, CH is not migraine.

Though some here do have both, you are looking at a different beast.

Be well and enjoy the fuzz
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17th, 2005, 8:51pm »

on Aug 17th, 2005, 8:35pm, E-Double wrote:

In addition, CH is not migraine.

Ditto to that.
This may be a little off topic, but I saw on a PBS program once regarding the history of the universe, string theory and other physics subjects, that the static we see on a television screen actually contains a small percentage of energy from the "big bang" (not that, you guys, get your minds out of the gutter).

Grin
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:19am »

on Aug 17th, 2005, 8:21pm, stevelord wrote:
The static sound was irritating so I turned the sound off while I stared at the screen on static. I made sure the channel I had it on produced pure static (the black dots jumping around on a white screen) without any bleed through of any broadcast and I held my stare on the screen and this is what I experienced:

An immediate profound antianxiety effect, a calmness, a sleepiness that if I wasnt alert could put me to sleep and a feeling of well being, of pleasure all immediate although the sleepiness progressed with time sometimes and none of these responses stopped no matter how long I stared or how many days in a row I did it.

So I looked up the effect of white noise on the internet and it said that it created the theta brainwave state which was the brainwave state of the fetus and which was thought to be a healing brainwave state. It said it was the brainwave state that we had as we dropped off to sleep. It further said that melatonin was created in greater amounts in that brainwave state and that melatonin had its own sleep inducing and health effect too. It also stated that it created endorphins, which are an anti pain chemical in us and also make us feel good.  

THis is a different type of so called white noise than one gets from a fan or other constant sound, its all frequencies at once Ive been told of course I stare at its visual representation on the screen NOT listen to it like is commonly done and which makes me feel like my nerves are being sandpapered (listening to it -thus I turn the sound OFF.

So can someone please let me (us) know about the effect if you want to try it?  

Thanks Steve Lord

Do not take this the wrong way, but if you turn to Volume off, you are only getting a Visual Effect.
There is no White Noise.....

I am a Sound Man, and I use White & Pink Noise to EQ my Sound Systems... White & Pink Noise are Audio effects... Not Visual...

I do not doubt the effect of the TV snow, when watching Police programs, such as COPS, when the Light are going, it will almost Trigger a CH when I am in cycle..
well any flashing lights for that matter, bright lights really do not bother me when I am having a CH attack, but I found its easier the beat the BEAST without them..

PFDAN's to All....  
Charlie

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 6:54am »

I have meditated and contemplated, everyday, for years. I can reach Theta brainwave levels quite easily. I still have cluster headaches. Each person, as they drift to sleep and as they go through several 90-minute sleep cycles each night, passes through a state of Alpha/Theta brainwave band. Yet, people still have CH. Another theory shot in the ass. Oh well.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
don

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 7:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Reality check:

480 mg of vepamil
prednisone taper
imitrex to abort

Works much better than "white noise".
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 9:04am »

As is obvious, Ali's headache-curing-device has a close similarity to the Greek letter Theta:

So he may be into something, after all.  
Why do you continue to bash poor Ali?     Grin     Grin

Ueli                 smokin

IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:56am »

Theta increases melatonin??  And melatonin increases theta:  

Quote:
Neurosci Lett. 1996 Apr 5;207(3):209-13.  

Daytime melatonin administration enhances sleepiness and theta/alpha activity in the waking EEG.

Cajochen C, Krauchi K, von Arx MA, Mori D, Graw P, Wirz-Justice A.  Chronobiology and Sleep Laboratory, Psychiatric University Clinic, Basel, Switzerland. cajochen@ubaclu.unibas.ch

It is still controversial whether the pineal hormone melatonin can be characterized as a hypnotic. We therefore measured subjective sleepiness and waking EEG power density in the range of 0.25-20 Hz after a single dose of melatonin (5 mg). During an 8 h mini-constant routine protocol, melatonin administered in a double blind cross-over design to healthy young men at 1300 h or 1800 h increased subjective sleepiness, as rated half-hourly on three different scales (Visual Analogue Scale, Akerstedt Sleepiness Symptoms Check List, Akerstedt Sleepiness Scale) and objective fatigue as evidenced by augmented waking EEG power density in the theta/alpha range (5.25-9 Hz). The increase in subjective sleepiness reached significance 40 min and 90 min after melatonin administration (at 1300 h and 1800 h, respectively) and lasted for 3 h (at 1300 h) and 5 h (at 1800 h). The increase in the theta/alpha frequencies of the waking EEG occurred immediately after melatonin ingestion and stayed significantly higher parallel to the higher sleepiness ratings. However, the EEG changes appeared before the subjective symptoms of sleepiness became manifest. There was a significant correlation between salivary melatonin levels and the timing of increased subjective sleepiness. Melatonin had no effects on mood.

IP Logged
stevelord
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 1:02pm »

Okay gang, dont try it.  Steve
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 2:43pm »

I try to read, with an open mind,  messages all the way through and then decide if I agree or not. In this message I got to the second paragraph and had to stop and LMAO!

Art Bell? The fruit cake on late night radio? The space alien Art Bell? LMAO again?

Sorry Steve. I have my composure restored now.

I don't know anything about white noise or watching snow on the TV but I do know that anything and everything Art Bell says is all fantasy. That guy was laughed out of Vegas and swore he’d never broadcast again. Next thing we know he has set up his microphone and was telling stories from his single-wide in a cow pasture in Pahrump, Nevada.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss