Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:58pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil dosage »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil dosage
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil dosage  (Read 403 times)
Peter
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

"Oh to be in England now that Spring is here"

Verapamil dosage
« on: Aug 27th, 2005, 4:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi

Is there a "typical dosage" that is prescribed for using Verapamil,  my doctor is going to try it with me, he isn't too experienced in CH and is talking about 40mg 3 times a day,  I'm sure most sufferers using Verapamil have used a much higher dose ?  Any comments are welcome.

Cheers

Peter ( uk )
IP Logged

Peter (uk)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Verapamil dosage
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 6:53am »

Not unusual to use Verap in the 700-900mg range although starting in the area of 240+ is common, with upward adjustments as your experience dictates.

If your doc is not experienced in treating cluster, suggest you print this article and give to him -- using it as a tool to guide your discussions. The author is one of the better headache doc in the U.S.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2005, 6:55am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 7:53am »

Bob's correct, Peter.  Verapamil will take time to show any effects initially, if any when starting at 240mg, adding gradually thereafter, if needed, to get to a level that shows effective prevention.  A typical level is hard to say but I've finally found results at 600mg.
  When the time comes to test the water to decrease the dosage, for me, reducing to a lower amount has been felt in about 48 hours.  I'll know then if I can stay at the lower dosage or need to add it back for better prevention.

Hope the verap helps.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2005, 7:53am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 1:37pm »

When my GP was helping me with my clusters and he prescribed  verapamil to me, he did too little and it didn't do squat.  I have tried it again with my neuro and am at 240mg twice a day. And I am having great results. Best wishes!

B
IP Logged
Peter
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

"Oh to be in England now that Spring is here"

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 12:55pm »

Thanks boys for the Verapamil info'  it has and will help and Bob thanks, I've saved and printed the info'

My doctor relys on me to inform him what to prescribe me   Wink Wink
IP Logged

Peter (uk)
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 1:23pm »

From your own Prof. Goadsby in London:
Quote:
verapamil

Verapamil is the preventative drug of choice in both episodic and chronic CH. Clinical experience has demonstrated that higher doses than those used in cardiological indications are needed, so outpatient assessment and follow-up is appropriate. The dose is increased until the cluster attacks are suppressed, side-effects intervene or the maximum dose of 960mg daily is achieved.

My doc starts me at 240mg/day and ups it by 120mg every week or so.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #6 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 5:20am »

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to help me... I went to the docs on Monday to get my verapamil increased from 160 to 220mg and had the worst night ever last night?  I don't understand, was feeling confident that the increase would knock it on the head completely - been plagued by shadows.  Verapamil has helped with the   past couple of cycles and now its not so good????  This has happened with other meds.  Any idea why we have to keep changing meds??  Back to the neuro next week.  (suffered 15+ yrs...12 undiagnosed hell)

Any tips etc would be appreciated.... did the old hot water bottle on the face last night...ahhhh

Thanks,
Kate
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 11:58am »

Hi there, Peter! Smiley

I've taken verpamil as well. My dose was first 200mg combined with another med. Then 400mg on it's own and finally 600mg, which sent my ch into remission.

Good luck! Smiley

Sanna Smiley
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #8 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 7:57am »

on Sep 1st, 2005, 5:20am, OUCH_again... wrote:
 Any idea why we have to keep changing meds??   

Hi Kate. I don't really have an answer to that, I'm afraid. Some folks get significant relief from the same meds each cycle, or even for decades (chronics). Some (like me) will find relief for a while and then the med stops working. Verapamil by itself didn't help me at all. When I added lithium, that helped for a short time. I've since decided to drop traditional meds, and found relief with alternative treatments. Good luck. pain free wishes, nani
« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2005, 7:58am by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:51pm »

Peter, make sure you monitor your blood pressure on a regular basis when taking Verapamil.  You should ask for Prdenisone prescription to start the preventative process while Verap is kicking in.  Good luck!    
Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
hm54
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 2:15pm »

I am on a minimum dose of 720mg verap. and am mostly pf. however, in feb/july dose always has to increase to 960, sometimes 1080. I titrilate my dosage alot, keeping it as low as possible. For me, if I get two HA's in a week. I increase the dose by 120mg per day until pain stops.  

The "normal" (approved?)maximum dose of verapamil is 480mg per day. However, it's use for clusters is "off label" and therefore higher dosages can be justified by prescriber. The high doses scare some docs and pharmacists not familiar with CH. My neuro tells me to stop at 960, knows I go to 1080, wouldn't be surprised at 1320 but would not be happy. He's also seen me in the hospital, not knowing how I got there at "normal" doses. My own wrong opinion, for me and me alone, is that I'll use however much it takes to keep em at a tolerable level
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss