Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 4:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Seeking your thought- Triptans »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Seeking your thought- Triptans
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Seeking your thought- Triptans  (Read 1076 times)
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Seeking your thought- Triptans
« Reply #25 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 1:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello Andre
Welcome, I'm sorry you had to come looking for us.
Don't worry about being in the right or wrong place, we'll find you and help you and thats all that matters!
Hopefully your cycle has finished, 18 days PF is a very good sign and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Imitrex tablets aren't usually considered effective for CH due to the extremely long time they take to kick in. The most common form of useage is the injections which will work in 5-10 minutes. However, given the side effects you experienced with the tablets I would be reluctant to attempt the injections if I was you! It is certainly something that you would need to discuss with your doctor. Have you any history of heart problems as triptans aren't the best way to go for people with heart disease or who have had heart attacks.
There are other triptans which are very effective and which you don't experience the same side effects with so it would be worth discussing your options with your doctor there. Zomig or Zolmitriptan nasal sprays have a very good history and recently people in the UK have been experimenting with Frovatriptan as a preventative and getting up to 12 hours relief at a time. Thats certainly worth considering!
What I'd really like to suggest though is that you try O2.
Breathing O2 through a non rebreather mask at 15 litres per minute is extremely effective and side effect free! I can abort a hit with O2 within about 5-10 minutes although I will admit to using a special mask (clustermasx.com)
Hopefully it will be at least four years until your next cycle and who knows what developments there will be by then so I'd certainly keep an eye out if I was you!
I hope this helps, keep reading, keep asking questions, its the only way to find the treatment that works best for us. By the way we do have another sufferer from Belgium on here, Ronny who lives in Brugge, it might be interesting for you both to compare notes on CH treatments available there!
Take care,
Helen  

IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #26 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 7:09pm »

Welcome Andre'

You say your doctor gave you the 50mg tablets and they made you feel like crap.  Is that the way the shot made you feel as well?

As long as your doctor has given you the okay to take the imitrex, try the injections.  If a full shot knocks out the attack, but leaves you feeling bad, try the imitrex tip over on the left.  Many of us find that 1/3 to 1/2 of the shot will work quite well.  It lessens the side effects and makes your trex last longer.

As far as I am concerned, trex tablets suck for CH.  I tried them and I feel like crap forever after taking one.  I do not get that with the injections.  I use 1/2 a shot and it knocks out the attack fast.

Good luck to you and wishing you many more pain free days and nights!

Mike
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 8:42pm »

Have either of you girls (Roxy and Wendy) tried Neurontin as a preventative.  In years past when Dave would start his cycle.... he would rapidly build to a point where he would get hit and hit and hit.... this is his 3rd cycle on the Neurontin... I am probably jinxing him by saying this but.... he isn't getting hit over and over like cycles before the Neurontin...... I know it has different effects for different people.... and I also am not stupid or in denial.... I know each cycle comes a time when NOTHING WORKS.... and its like a peak time for him where he will be at his worse.... I just know the Neurontin has changed things for him big time..... Those zomigs are too too expensive and dangerous to your heart to use as preventatives.... I dont know about Frova or the Relpax..... Good luck and God Love ya    ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #28 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 10:39pm »

I'm STILL confused.....I tell Brad what I read here and he tries to explain it to the doc or ask him for whatever MITE work better I have read bout on here. He got carried away with the imitrex tabs last cycle cuz he'd panic and didn't seem to know what a shadow was goin to do to him. The more tabs he took the more hits he got......that was 'my' observation on it all. Seems he was gettin hit left and right and not a pattern like they had started out MANY years ago for cycles. I told him I think the tabs were makein it worse but didn't know what else to tell him.....I'm by far no expert here and only a supporter so when he has a cycle comein on I can't tell him what to do......I can only try to get him to ask for stuff from the doc and hope he gets the doseage rite.....whatever. He has trex now but has never used it 'yet'......am hopein if he does he doesn't start gettin hit ten times more like last cycle with the injections ? Lets jus hope he skips anouther cycle......I just am not always sure I am adviseing him rite. Doc pretty much listens to what he wants to try with a few sudgestions of his own. He mentiond topomax last cycle and I about choked. I really reall REALLY don't think Brad could function on that stuff. He can't handle anything that makes him dumb or dopey.....he has alot of responsibility at work to work with figures and machines and measurements and get things perfect.....he can't be handicapped. OK.....jus keepin advised and up on things. Dumber of the dumbest Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

jon019

Email

« Reply #29 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 9:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Holy God!

I have never heard this said before but have thought it a million times. The beast does seem to have a life of its own. Sometimes surrender is all that is possible. It will not go away with its pound of flesh NO MATTER WHAT!
At least it gives me "something" to hate.

PS I'm new at this so quoting is being guessed at, sorry if I did it wrong.

Regards

Jon019

[quote author=hwm54112 link=board=meds;num=1125566172;start=0#8 date=09/03/05 at 16:09:42]Glaxo has a patent.

Far-fetched idea? Before high doses of verapamil and sumatriptan, if I used 02 I would have a moderate CH for several hours, as long as I kept using the 02. If I did nothing, I would have a horrendous CH for 45 minutes. This was consistent for numerous headaches (daily for months on end). Could it be that the beast must deliver a certain amount of pain before it subsides?  Expressed mathematically, does 10 units of pain for 1 minute equal 1 unit of pain for ten minutes and then it subsides in either instance? Anything is possible.
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 10:12pm »

on Sep 14th, 2005, 9:44pm, jon019 wrote:
Holy God!
Praise Wotan!
I have never heard this said before but have thought it a million times. The beast does seem to have a life of its own. Sometimes surrender is all that is possible. It will not go away with its pound of flesh NO MATTER WHAT
Aye, laddie.
At least it gives me "something" to hate.
You haven't met my future ex, have you?
PS I'm new at this so quoting is being guessed at, sorry if I did it wrong.
You fucked it up 9 ways from Sunday, but that's OK. It's meaningless, since you got your thought across.
Keep working on the O2 Yell if you need any cool O2 utils. I got your Six. Heh.

Expressed mathematically, does 10 units of pain for 1 minute equal 1 unit of pain for ten minutes and then it subsides in either instance?
No.
Regards
Best,
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
jon019

Email

« Reply #31 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 10:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Mr. Happy,

Damn, that was funny. And of course I meant to say that Mr Beastie will not leave WITHOUT chunking off his pound of flesh.

And OK, how about a lesson in quoting as you so ably demonstrate (I was trying to quote hwm54112).

BTW, is there a hidden spell check in here somewhere. Billy Gate's "word" has turned what's left of my cluster f****d brain to mush.

Regards

Jon019
IP Logged
Cooked Brain
New Board Old Timer
Netherlands 

a.k.a. Max Payne, YOUCH this hurts...

« Reply #32 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 7:46pm »

Relpax (1/2 a 40mg pill) usually keeps me safe through the night.

DHE is not a triptan.
IP Logged

"We can NOT solve our problems with the same kind of thinking that got us IN to the problem in the first place" Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss