Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 7:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen plus Imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen plus Imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen plus Imitrex  (Read 439 times)
jmc1106
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Oxygen plus Imitrex
« on: Sep 8th, 2005, 8:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone else do it this way? The oxygen seems to be working, knocks the CH all the way down in about 20 minutes or less. But then hubby gets hit again every two hours afterwards. So we started adding 50 mg Imitrex tablet at the same time, and then he seems fine for the rest of the night.  

The CH's are much more tolerable now, and it seems like the oxygen keeps them from continuing to build like they do when he just does the Imitrex. Things are looking up!

Jan
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

Re: Oxygen plus Imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 9:31am »

During the Day time hours, when I get hit, which I rarely do, I just stick with the O2. I just stay on it a little longer, if i quit too soon I will get hit in about an hour, but if use the O2 for about 30 minutes at 8 to 10 lpm, I will usually be good for the rest of the day...

Now at night its a different story, when I am in cycle, I will get hit like 3 or 4 times a night... I lose alot of sleep.. So I use 1/3 of a shot of TREX inj each time, then start the O2 till I fall asleep.... Its alot of O2, but it gets me through the night....  

I also found that using the Melatonin at 9mg each night, about 30 minutes before bed, decreased the amount of night time attacks... after about a week of using it, I actully had nights with no HA's.... If you don't use Melatonin for the night time attacks, give it a try... it takes about 3 to 4 days to start working, but I think you will notice a difference...

PFDAN's to You !!!
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 9:34am »

1=Oxygene

2=trex-shots

3 if that dont help morphine-shot

Svenn
IP Logged

BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 1:39pm »

During the peak of my most recent cycle; I was consistently getting hit hard at about 7pm, 10pm, 1am, 3am and 5am. O2 at 12 lpm would abort the 7pm, 10pm, 3am and 5am hits in 10-15 minutes but the 1am hits were too strong for O2 so I had to resort to Imitrex injections for those. The 1am Imitrex injection did not prevent the 3am and 5am hits.

On several nights, I took a 100mg Imitrex tablet at midnight, an hour before the expected 1am hit, as a preventive for the 1am and 3am hits and was able to get 6 hours sleep.

BB
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 5:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Try a Zomig or even better a Frova pill with the 02, I've managed 10 clear hours with 02 and Frova (not consistently but usually get at least 6 hours) as it stays in the system longer than Imitrex.

Doesn't work for everyone but it's the best I've got at the moment.

Wendy
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 11:29pm »

on Sep 8th, 2005, 9:31am, jcmquix wrote:
During the Day time hours, when I get hit, which I rarely do, I just stick with the O2. I just stay on it a little longer, if i quit too soon I will get hit in about an hour, but if use the O2 for about 30 minutes at 8 to 10 lpm, I will usually be good for the rest of the day...

Now at night its a different story, when I am in cycle, I will get hit like 3 or 4 times a night... I lose alot of sleep.. So I use 1/3 of a shot of TREX inj each time, then start the O2 till I fall asleep.... Its alot of O2, but it gets me through the night....  

I also found that using the Melatonin at 9mg each night, about 30 minutes before bed, decreased the amount of night time attacks... after about a week of using it, I actully had nights with no HA's.... If you don't use Melatonin for the night time attacks, give it a try... it takes about 3 to 4 days to start working, but I think you will notice a difference...

PFDAN's to You !!!
Charlie

Charlie, what you typed here worries me, man.  There are good and sound medical reasons for staying on the O2 no longer than 20 minutes.  You could do serious damage to your lungs staying on it too long at high flow rates, especially sleeping with it.  One major side effect can be scarring of the lungs which decreases their ability to function properly.  There are others as well.

From the Dorlands Medical Dictionary:

http://www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_hl_dorlands.jspzQzpgzEzzSzppdoc szSzuszSzcommonzSzdorlandszSzdorlandzSzdmd_t_14zPzhtm

Quote:
O2 toxicity,   oxygen toxicity,   the effects of hyperoxia due to the breathing of high partial pressures of oxygen for prolonged periods; they include serious, sometimes irreversible, damage to the pulmonary capillary endothelium, followed by cerebral edema and convulsions that can be fatal. Called also oxygen poisoning.

A quote from a Pub Med document:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed &list_uids=11338223&dopt=Abstract

Quote:
Hazards of oxygen therapy range from retinal damage in premature infants, damage to the alveolar capillary membrane with resultant hypoxemia) atelectasis and decreased mucociliary activity.

By using oxygen at high flow rates for extended periods of time, you are pushing your luck, bro.  Please be careful.
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 6:57am »

on Sep 11th, 2005, 11:29pm, Gator wrote:

Charlie, what you typed here worries me, man.  There are good and sound medical reasons for staying on the O2 no longer than 20 minutes.  You could do serious damage to your lungs staying on it too long at high flow rates, especially sleeping with it.  One major side effect can be scarring of the lungs which decreases their ability to function properly.  

By using oxygen at high flow rates for extended periods of time, you are pushing your luck, bro.  Please be careful.

Gator... Thanks Man.. Sorry to mention that I turn the regulator down to 6 lpm at night... I also have no starp on the mask, so that if I do fall asleep, the mask is not stuck to my face...  

Thanks for the concern....  

God Bless
Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Great_White_North
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 8:44pm »

Gator,

I've got to call you on this one.

Although you are correct that 100% oxygen is toxic to the lungs, your sources are not adequate to determine what the true risk is.  A medical dictionary or an on-line medical literature search will not tell you that it would take days to weeks of breathing 100% oxygen to probably have any effect on the lungs.

Even then, the effects might be reversible.

Anyone using oxygen in the setting of a face mask delivery system to stop CH's would not be at risk to damage their lungs.

Charlie, feel free to suck to oxygen down without concern.

Ciao from the Great White North!
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 8:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Sep 13th, 2005, 8:44pm, Great_White_North wrote:
Gator,

I've got to call you on this one.

Although you are correct that 100% oxygen is toxic to the lungs, your sources are not adequate to determine what the true risk is.  A medical dictionary or an on-line medical literature search will not tell you that it would take days to weeks of breathing 100% oxygen to probably have any effect on the lungs.

Even then, the effects might be reversible.

Anyone using oxygen in the setting of a face mask delivery system to stop CH's would not be at risk to damage their lungs.

Charlie, feel free to suck to oxygen down without concern.

Ciao from the Great White North!

Hello Great White North.  I would like to ask you if you are physician?  Are you licensed to practice medicine in order to give out this kind of advice?  Because we here are not doctors, so when we DO give advice it is to err on the side of caution.  Especially with the nature of our condition, of getting multiple attacks daily.  Hence, the concern about falling asleep with the mask on.

Take care,
mel
IP Logged
Great_White_North
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 9:18pm »

Mel,

I simply think that Gator need not worry too much.  His statement that there are good and sound medical reasons for not using oxygen for more than 20 minutes just doesn't seem to be supported by his references.

If we are talking to each other as sufferers of CH, we do a disservice to make a useful and safe treatment such as oxygen seem like a such a risky undertaking.

I personally use oxygen in the setting of aborting my CH's and am not at all worried about my lungs getting scarred.
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13th, 2005, 9:23pm »

I agree falling asleep with O2 running all night probably isn't healthy. O2 is dry, and too much too fast (like all night) will dry your lungs out. I have fallen asleep and woke up with an empty O2 tank and I noticed it does hurt to breath for a day after. But it isn't "toxic" in the sense that it will poison you.
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 5:52am »

Ok Guys....  

This is what I got from my Nero.. about the O2 usage....

At 12 to 15 lpm... do not exceed 30 minutes in one session... The O2 is not only dry, but she did say that the O2 could SCAR my Lungs at that rate....

But then I discussed the fact that what if I fall asleep...

So this is what she said... Start at a High rate to help prevent or abort the HA.... Then as You start to fell as if the HA is aborting, decrease the O2 rate.... to about 6 lpm.... So that if I do fall asleep, it would not do any damage.... Also don't forget to remove the Strap from the Mask.... in case the O2 runs out....

It seemed to me, the Dr's worry about using a high lpm rate for more than 30 minutes, was that I am a smoker...

I really never understood it, but I GUESS it could case damage.... I dunno....

Now I learned an IMPORTANT lesson last night... I was getting Shadows all day at work, So I thought well when I get home, I'll try the O2 and see if it helps.... well it got rid of the Shadow, but I got a different kind of HA, I think it was a sinus HA..... Reason being: When I get a regular CH, I get the runny nose and sinus condition, well I did not have that and I do not have a moisterizor yet... it dried me out fast.. in like 10 minutes.. result was the different HA....

Anyways, I am going to get the moisterizor bottle, this week....

Hope this helps some....

God Bless & PFDAN's to ALL !!!
Charlie
IP Logged

The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 5:58am »

"At 12 to 15 lpm... do not exceed 30 minutes in one session... The O2 is not only dry, but she did say that the O2 could SCAR my Lungs at that rate.... "

I would say that 12LPM is usually plenty enough for us.
If it dont seems to work after 15 minutes then take a break for 5-10 minutes then another 15 min.

No more then 2 sessions the way i see it,mainly bc it just dont work

Svenn
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss