Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 9:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Clinical Trials? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2005
(Moderator: DJ)
   Clinical Trials?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Clinical Trials?  (Read 339 times)
mischki
New Board Newbie
USA 

Slobber happens...

WWW Email

Clinical Trials?
« on: Sep 17th, 2005, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was searching for info yesterday, and came across listings for clinical trials at:

http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/studies/cat100.html

Anyone involved in any of these?  Thoughts on participating?

I would think it would be good in that you would get "free" help.  It would be bad, though, if you were in the control group getting sugar Tongue.

I was especially interested in this one:

http://www.centerwatch.com/patient/studies/stu38546.html

mostly because they offer travel compensation.

Any thoughts?  (Please don't yell at me though, I'm just asking - not suggesting!)  Undecided

-mischki
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2005, 1:39pm by mischki » IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: Clinical Trials?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 4:16pm »

I've never participated, but like you said I would hate to get a Kip 8-10 and fight it with placebo.

Why are you undecided?
IP Logged
jon019

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 5:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Mischki,

At 23 years of this crap and counting I am ready to try ANYTHING, and almost have, (not kudzu or shrooms yet but they're on the list) and I bet there are a bunch of clusterheads who feel likewise.

This one (capsaicin spray) is no different although I note it received spirited discussion and scathing reviews on another thread.

Tried it myself (why not) with Tabasco (which, next to jazz, blues, zydeco and cajun music is proof that God loves us, Louisiana will be back!) and cayenne pepper powder (yup, right up the nostril before it closed like a CH ignorant doctors mind). Actually worked for a while (placebo or not, I couldn't care less) but alas, no longer.

Should you or anyone choose to participate in trial, I wouldn't worry about placebo effect. Cannot image how they could simulate the "burn" and if they did, wouldn't it elicit the same physiological effect?

Regards

Jon019
IP Logged
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 7:11pm »

I've thought about participating in these trials over the years. Unfortunately, they have to do the random double-blind study where some participants receive the trial drug and others placebo, because that is how they demonstrate if the drug works.

But I would not want to get placebo and have a Kip 9-10 and not be able to do anything about it. I did see one clinical trial a few years ago where they gave the participants some drug (probably Imitrex injection) as a back up. So if you were one of the unlucky ones who got placebo and were about to go over the edge with a Kip 9-10, there was a way out.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 7:19pm »

Did you see the dates on this?

Trial listings updated: July 2, 2004 at 12:31:05 PM
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
FrankF
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 7:31pm »

on Sep 17th, 2005, 7:19pm, Redd715 wrote:

It doesn't matter what the date was. My comments were regarding clinical trials in general.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 10:56pm »

There aren't any clinical trials for cluster headache.  

UNsolved
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 11:03pm »

Was that one the NECH Zomig trial? That one may be over. I think some of the folks here participated in that one.

jon, why not try kudzu (or even clusterbusters) before you try a clinical trial?  

pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 11:28pm »

on Sep 17th, 2005, 4:16pm, marlinsfan wrote:
like you said I would hate to get a Kip 8-10 and fight it with placebo.

Rescue meds are normally allowed in cluster trials specifically for this point. The docs "usually" aren't wanting to have anyone go through that either. Depending on what is being tested, you might not even qualify for the trial if you aren't responsive to a rescue med that wouldn't effect the outcome of the trial.

If something is being tested on you, and you aren't responding, you won't know if its because you have the placebo, or the med they are testing and it isn't isn't working. They'll know but you won't. Doesn't effect the outcome of the trial in most instances.

I'm sure the fear of untreated K-10s scares many people from these trials. I wish they'd make the rescue med provisions known early on. Most cluster trials are with very small numbers. Probably as much for this reason, as being a small patient base.

Bobw

IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
jon019

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 12:38am »

jon, why not try kudzu (or even clusterbusters) before you try a clinical trial?  

pf wishes, nani

Hi Nani,

Just haven't gotten there yet. First time I heard about either one was last week when I rediscovered you all.  
Like I said, they're on the list.

Trying to digest all this incredible info while sometimes rolling on the floor with tears in my eyes (NOPE, not a CH, because what isn't heartbreaking or enlightening, is damned funny).  

You people have a gift as good as meds. Its compassion, hope, and humor and it's wonderful.

Regards

Jon019
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 2:33am »

on Sep 17th, 2005, 11:28pm, Pinkfloyd wrote:
Most cluster trials are with very small numbers.

on Sep 17th, 2005, 10:56pm, unsolved1 wrote:

Huh?
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 7:40am »

You can call Headache centers to see if there are legitimate trials going on.

This is old but can give you an idea...

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1108735025

on Mar 11th, 2005, 11:23pm, E-Double wrote:
I just finished with my 3rd "abort".......

This one had to be the 10 mg because it actually worked 10 minutes!! now I feel the nasty a$$ side-effects of damn triptans ....sunburned feeling and feel itchy and like my skin is crawling YUCK!!!!!!

The first one I think was a 5mg....didn't touch the attack yet I felt gross after.....

The second was definitely placebo.......didn't do a thing + no side-effects YET and this is weird, I had my shortest attack in 10 months which was "classic" Came and went as quick as onset....Weird b/c mine usually "taper down"......

I will call back Monday to set up the follow-up........

I don't think this is a med that I want to continue to use but hopefully it has helped some and I know in the long run it will help MANY others and this was pretty much MY main reason for participating.

Good luck all!!

Eric

Jose,
 You are definitely given opportunity to use "Rescue" meds. In the zomig trial it was Oxygen but had to wait 30 minutes after taking the Trial medication.

For me it was worth it just to get in the door. Which is why I did it  Wink

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 10:03am »

on Sep 18th, 2005, 7:40am, E-Double wrote:
You are definitely given opportunity to use "Rescue" meds. In the zomig trial it was Oxygen but had to wait 30 minutes after taking the Trial medication.

That's good to know, Eric. As PinkFloyd said, they should make that known up front and get more of us to take them up on the trials.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 11:15am »

on Sep 17th, 2005, 10:56pm, unsolved1 wrote:

UNsolved

OK, I may have exaggerated a bit ... but cluster studies are very hard to find. ANyone know where one is now ?

UNsolved

(sp)
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2005, 11:16am by unsolved1 » IP Logged
mischki
New Board Newbie
USA 

Slobber happens...

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 11:39am »

on Sep 17th, 2005, 7:19pm, Redd715 wrote:

No I didn't.  But like I said, I just happened across it while surfing and I was interested in knowing the board's opinion.  I would trust what experienced CHers say before investigating any further.

on Sep 17th, 2005, 4:16pm, marlinsfan wrote:
I've never participated, but like you said I would hate to get a Kip 8-10 and fight it with placebo.

Why are you undecided?

That's more or less why I'd be undecided.  That, and the fact that it would take a lot of time and energy to have to go somewhere to participate in one (all the listings I saw were hundreds of miles away) and not be assured that it would help, when we finally have a great doctor here who will help.

Thanks for all the input.  I really was more curious than considering it...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss