Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Thanks - Melatonin advice worked »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Thanks - Melatonin advice worked
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Thanks - Melatonin advice worked  (Read 470 times)
studebaker

Email

Thanks - Melatonin advice worked
« on: Mar 13th, 2002, 3:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have been with CH for over 30 years and I have tried everything but an operation to control the pain.  I visited this website 3 weeks ago when a new cycle started.  This cycle turned into one of the more severe attacks.  All the usual drugs just seem to piss the beast off and at one stretch I went 6 nights with only 3 hours of sleep.  I know everyone has been there.  I read the posting about melatonin and decided to give it a try.  I took 3g 2 hours before my regular scheduled banger and tried to sleep.  The  first night I still got the usual CH;s but they were less severe and shorter.  After two nights I went to just 1 per night and very short.  After 4 nights I made it all the way through and this will be the 4th night  in a row I have made it through.  I have never in my 30 years had these CH stop so quickly.  I know everyone is different, but give this melatonin a shot, it's cheap.  I don't think it is wise to take too much, but rather build up.   MAybe someone else knows the best way there.  I hope this helps someone.
IP Logged
Mattso

Email

Re: Thanks - Melatonin advice worked
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14th, 2002, 12:50am »

Studebaker - I guess I asked this question on the wrong thread previously, but I really wanna know:  

What brand of Melatonin are you using?
IP Logged
studebaker

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2002, 6:33am »

I GOT THE MELATONIN AT A GNC STORE AT THE MALL. THE DOSAGE WAS 3MG.  THAT IS THE HIGHEST POTENCY THEY HAD TO OFFER.  THIS WILL BE THE 6TH DAY NOW, ACTUALLY KINDA OF SCARY GETTING OVER THIS SO QUICK.  I KEEP WAITING FOR THE HAMMER, BUT WITHTHIS MELATONI I AM GETTING SLEEP AND I CAN GO TO WORK.  IT'S WORTH THE $7.99, IF IT DOES NOT WORK YOUR NOT OUT MUCH, BUT GIVE IT A COUPLE OF DOSES .
DAN
IP Logged
studebaker

Email

3MG MELATONIN- GNC
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2002, 6:35am »

I GOT THE MELATONIN AT A GNC STORE AT THE MALL. THE DOSAGE WAS 3MG.  THAT IS THE HIGHEST POTENCY THEY HAD TO OFFER.  THIS WILL BE THE 6TH DAY NOW, ACTUALLY KINDA OF SCARY GETTING OVER THIS SO QUICK.  I KEEP WAITING FOR THE HAMMER, BUT WITHTHIS MELATONI I AM GETTING SLEEP AND I CAN GO TO WORK.  IT'S WORTH THE $7.99, IF IT DOES NOT WORK YOUR NOT OUT MUCH, BUT GIVE IT A COUPLE OF DOSES .
DAN
IP Logged
chjohn
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 8:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I tried the Melatonin, at 300mcg.level. Got It at Dollar General for $2.00. I took it 4 hours before my usual attack, and the pain seemed to diminish. I still couldn't say the Meletonin did it, but the Hydrocortisone wure didn't.
It could just be the nature of this cycle.  
John
IP Logged

Ignorance is refreshing
bentley

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19th, 2002, 6:42am »

Can Melatonin actually stop the cycle, or only delay it while you are taking the drug?
IP Logged
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21st, 2002, 8:08am »

Hi Studebaker
I have a question regarding your use of melatonin.  ARe you taking any CH drugs at the same time..for example imitrex or verapamil?  The reason I ask is because I wonder if there are any complications when on these drugs.  Want to be cautious ... you know?   Wink
IP Logged
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23rd, 2002, 8:21am »

It's so great hearing about some of you getting relief of some kind

Sounds like we have our own research going on here.  Please keep posting your experiences and results.

There was a warning in a publication not too long ago re: the max dosage for melatonin which they claim is .3 mg.  More is supposidly not good for you.  Check out the archives for about this last month.  

Good luck and many more pf days to you all.
IP Logged
justin
New Board Veteran
USA 

what it is...

jdo201
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23rd, 2002, 9:00pm »

neuro is telling me to take 9-10mg of melatonin at night before bed. anyone think that's high? i keep hearing that .3 (POINT THREE!!) is the normal dosage. weird.

jd
IP Logged

if any clusterheads in NYC want to get together shoot me an email justinott@mac.com
Mattso

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:54pm »

I just finished a week of taking 3mg of GNC brand Melatonin at bedtime. It didn't seem to have any effect - the headaches have become more frequent just as I normally expect during this part of the cycle.
IP Logged
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 7:59am »

I tried melatonin and it didn't seem to make a difference, but I had to stop it because it was making me so sleepy the next day I couldn't function.

I seem to have that problem with many drugs, so it wasn't surprising....

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 9:43am »

Our natural production of melatonin increases as dusk becomes night, so the best probable time to take it is a little while before you want to go to sleep.
IP Logged
Dania

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 28th, 2002, 7:58pm »

It happened me when I started to take melatonin, buy it finished a few days after.
Try again I trust so much in this drug
Love Dania Roll Eyes
IP Logged
chjohn
New Board Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 28th, 2002, 8:15pm »

Melatonin makes us sleepy, because thats what melatonin does. It is a naturaly occuring substance which our body produces. I tried Melatonin because of a post I read on this site. I figured what the Hell? Its relatively safe, non-intrusive, and CHEAP!!!
I chose four hours before my usuall time for an attack, because, the bottle said you could take it 3 times a day, and I figured that four hours would allow me to take it again for my usual second round with the beast.
The first day, hurt, pain, ect. Second day, less pain, and so on. I have been continueing in this cycle for several more weeks, the attacks continued, but the intense pain was not there.
I quit takeing the Melatonin, because I figured that if I continue to take it, my body will discontinue producing it.
But the intense pain did not return. But the other symtoms continued.
Can I say that Melatonin contributed to these results? NO!!! But I can't say it didn't, I truely don't know.
This is not an endoresment of Melatonin, just my personal experience.
John
IP Logged

Ignorance is refreshing
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss