Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verap Side Effects »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verap Side Effects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verap Side Effects  (Read 551 times)
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

Verap Side Effects
« on: Mar 16th, 2002, 10:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone had constipation associated with using verap?  

My constipation was so bad I was in severe pain in my back and could not walk. I stopped the verap and am on propanalol.

Feedback would be apprciated.

--TomM--
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Verap Side Effects
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 10:23am »

Constipation is listed as a possible side effect according to my info.  I've been on Verapamil (low dose of 120mg) since October and haven't been bricked up Wink, but my dose has been doubled because clusters got way out of control on March 3.  Since then I've been bricked up, but I think it's due to Ultram, which I might add has been quite useless except for eliminating some pain echoes long after an attack and making me very sleepy.  Ultram is too slow and weak to work for a cluster attack.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 10:33am »

I hear you about being bricked up. I could not take it anymore.

I, too, use Ultram and find it usefull for shadows but it also will stuff you up. Great choices: Suffed up or pain!

Thanks for the feedback.

--TomM--
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
Marc
New Board Newbie
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 12:04pm »

Hi Tom,

Yes, you found one of the most common side effects of Verapamil! Many, many folks have had that problem with Verapamil too.

I've been taking 360mg+ per day for over 1-1/2 years but have been lucky not to have that side effect. (Maybe it's all the beer drinking helping me out  Grin )

Hope you can get pain free.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 12:59pm »

I'm ok at 240mg.

At 360mg things start to slow down.

At 480mg I come to a screeching halt and blow up bigger than drummer.

The only thing that helps is the old fasioned laxatives.  The ones with phenothalene.  None of this new gentle stuff.  You could also ask your doc for something.  The stuff they give you before they snake the hose up your butt to look at your innards will really get things rolling.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Ueli

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2002, 8:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Constipation is a common side effect from Verapamil, especially at the amount clusterheads take it.

However, if you don't wait for the total block up, maybe you can handle it by some simple household remedies:
  • Dried plums (for me, 2 or 3 a day will do the trick)
  • Cooked apples (by example in the form of apple pie)
  • Bruised linseed, a spoonful mixed with the breakfast cereals or a yoghurt. (note: the whole seed are not digestible)
  • and of course, good old castor oil Wink

Re: Propranolol
This is a beta blocker that has a good record as a preventative for migraines. However, as a preventative for CH it is far less successful than Verapamil. Therefore, I would only switch if rather drastic treatments of the constipation fail.

PFNAD's
Ueli
IP Logged
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 9:32pm »

Try taking docusate (comes in 50mg & 100mg) capsules for constispation.  You take it twice a day...it's a stool softener and works for the verapamil and pain med problems!!!

Re: the Ultram, I took that last year during my cycle...beware..beware..beware....when you stop taking it, please taper off slowly....it is addicting, you don't find this off until you stop taking it.  Actually, there are ongoing lawsuits to change it to a controlled substance because of this. I was a wreck for two weeks.  I will never take that again, wasn't worth what I went through.  Funny though, my doc (not seeing her anymore) wanted to give me more meds to stop the severe withdrawl symptoms..but I said no..didn't want to put anything else in my body, it was dealing with enough...and didn't want to risk another "addiction".  It helps to drink lots and lots of chamomille tea for the withdrawl anxiety!!

SusanM
IP Logged
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 9:33pm »

Try taking docusate (comes in 50mg & 100mg) capsules for constispation.  You take it twice a day...it's a stool softener and works for the verapamil and pain med problems!!!

Re: the Ultram, I took that last year during my cycle...beware..beware..beware....when you stop taking it, please taper off slowly....it is addicting, you don't find this off until you stop taking it.  Actually, there are ongoing lawsuits to change it to a controlled substance because of this. I was a wreck for two weeks.  I will never take that again, wasn't worth what I went through.  Funny though, my doc (not seeing her anymore) wanted to give me more meds to stop the severe withdrawl symptoms..but I said no..didn't want to put anything else in my body, it was dealing with enough...and didn't want to risk another "addiction".  It helps to drink lots and lots of chamomille tea for the withdrawl anxiety!!

SusanM
IP Logged
SusanM
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2002, 9:33pm »

SusanM
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss