Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New member has questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   New member has questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New member has questions  (Read 480 times)
scrody

Email

New member has questions
« on: Mar 27th, 2002, 12:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey guys, my name is Warren and I'm a 27 year old male clusterhead from Canada.  The first time I was given meds for my problem was 2 years ago (prednisone, and lithium).  It worked great and I went into remission for two years.  Now they're back and the prednisone/lithium combo has done nothing this time around.  My doctor has now given me the following five drugs: 1) Prednisone 5mg   2)Novo - Divalproex 250mg  3)APO Ketorolac 10mg  4)Sansert 2mg  5)APO divalproex 125mg

This is my first day on this stuff and between these five drugs I'll be taking 18 pills today and this will only escalate in the coming weeks.  I'm feeling totally out of it.  I feel shaky, and drowsy but also speedy and slightly paranoid.  Is this normal?  Feel free to respond here or directly to my email address:  marmeladeboy@sympatico.ca

Thanks
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

Re: New member has questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 12:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have never heard of anyone taking the following medicines.  Novo - Divalproex, APO Ketorolac, APO divalproex.
This must be some new stuff your dr. is trying on you.  Please let us know how you do on it and if it helps your ha at all.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 12:44pm »

Warren,

I'm with Karla - never heard of those meds either.  We all wish you the best though and please keep us all informed of your progress.......

Keep the faith.

NotH20
IP Logged
scrody

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 1:03pm »

Is it possible that these drugs may carry different names here in Canada?  Maybe they are just brand names??????  Do you guys typically feel spacey on your meds?
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 1:54pm »

Warren,  considering that I don't remember 1/2 of December and the majority of January - i would have to answer YES on the spacey feeling!!!!!LOL  What exactly are these meds supposed to be doing - abortive/preventative, lowering blood pressure, etc?

I'm not sure about the Canadian suggestion, but it's worth a shot.  Your dosage of Pred is sorta low to start out with though if your doc is trying to give you a "jump start" with a few days of no CH's.........ask him if there is translation so that maybe we can help.....

Stay strong....

NotH20
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 2:10pm »

Warren after a quick search I think that Divalproex is Depakote........do a search on here and find out some onfo on that med.......

Good luck   Smiley

NotH20
IP Logged
MikeE
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 2:26pm »

scrody That might just be the coctail we all need but it sure sounds like alot to me. I have had good results with prednisone but as soon as I start to taper off the beast usually comes back. I stopped a cycle with sansert 8 mg daily one time but started causing irrigular heartbeat even at lower dosage. I know without a doubt my doc said not to take sansert and prednisone at the same time. Dont know why not but thats what he said. He is just a doc. not a nuro. As far as the other drugs you mentioned never heard of them. good luck pfdan MikeE
IP Logged
scrody

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 2:42pm »

Thanks for the help - My Prednisone dose isn't 5mg - That's just what each individual pill is - I'm taking 8 so my dose is 40mg.  My actually ritual is as follows - I will list the mg on a per pill basis.  Here we go!

Sansert (2mg per pill)
1 daily for 3 days then
2 daily for 3 days then
3 daily for 2 months

APO Divalproex Sodium (125mg per pill)
2 daily for 3 days
3 daily for 3 days

NOVO Divalproex Sodium (250mg per pill)
3 daily for 2 months

APO Ketorolac Tromethamine (10mg per pill)
3 daily for 10 days

APO Prednisone (5mg per pill)
6 daily for 2 weeks
4 daily for 2 weeks
2 daily for 2 weeks

I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions.  All these drugs except the prednisone are new to me and something in this combination is giving me the shakes and making me a touch paranoid.  Thanks again for the help.
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 27th, 2002, 3:35pm »

Hi Warren
I've looked up those meds for you.  They've got you on Depakote (the Divalproex) - two different kinds, it looks like and Toradol (Keterolac), as well as Sansert and Pred.
From experience my husband has gone through, Sansert made him feel real spacey and Toradol is a pain killer that didn't touch his pain.  Why he is giving you Toradol three times a day is beyond me.  It's not a preventative of any sort.  
Prednisone broke his cycle for a couple of days, he did a shorter burst than you are doing, but once he weaned off it, his cycle came back with a vengeance.
That's quite a combo of meds - you can find out about known side effects just by typing in the drug name to your browser, I would think.
If you continue to feel strange, I'd sure report back to the doc and ask him for an abortive, such as Imitrex or better yet, Oxygen.
Hang in there.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
MarkHW
New Board Old Timer
USA 

mwilliams43050
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28th, 2002, 7:55am »

The toradol might be because it's an anti-inflamatory.  Sometimes when I go to the emergency room they give me toradol and morphine IVs.  It helps me get through the episode... doesn't abort it but helps some.

I've never heard of them giving someone toradol and prednisone at the same time though.

Mark
IP Logged

The clusterhead formerly known as williamsmh.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss