Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:51pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « First Post to Board »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   First Post to Board
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: First Post to Board  (Read 219 times)
elcid

Email

First Post to Board
« on: Apr 4th, 2002, 9:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have been a clusterhead since 1978.  I am a 48 year old female. I work as a nurse in the field of occupational medicine. My clusters are episodic occurring approx. every other spring and fall.  They usually last 2+ months.  I am 4 weeks into an episode at this time with 2-4 daily.  I was very fortunate that my first dr. (an internist) was familiar with clusters and referred me to a neurologist right away.  I have taken many drugs over the years.  Imitrex injections are my drug of choice but oh so expensive.  Maxalt has also worked but of course more slowly.  What I want to pass on is that after reading the message board this past Sunday I found info. on Neurontin for breaking the cycle.  I had a whole scrip on hand as I was prescribed it for relief of low back pain but did not take it as I had epidural injections scheduled very close to the same time.  I began taking it Monday morning per the dosing schedule.  100mg 3X per day for 2 days, 200mg 3X per day for 2 days and tomorrow will go to 300mg 3X per day.  I had a dr. visit today and she said to keep taking this dose for at least one month.  I have not had any headaches since yesterday morning and as of this morning the foggy feeling I always have during the cycle is gone.  I was my normal self.  Miracle of miracles.  I see from previous posts that it has worked for some and not others but may be worth a try.  Hopefully it will continue to work for me.  It is inexpensive with insurance and my back dr. gave me 11 refills.  Looks like from other posts that 900mg per day worked for several sufferers.  This site has been a godsend for me and I hope I can help others with this info.  Wish I would have remembered to visit it 3 weeks ago when the attacks started.  It is great to know there are so many of us to support each other.
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: First Post to Board
« Reply #1 on: Apr 5th, 2002, 5:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Elcid,

Glad to hear you are feeling better!  I too am takng Neurontin.  I'm in my 6th week of cycle.  I am 41.  Have had ch for a long time.  Nothing worked.  Well, my neuro started me on the neurontin March 16th.  Had some bad hits (nothing near in the past) but have been absolutely ch free for 4 days.  No shadows, no nothing.  He prescribed me 100mg 3x day.  For abortive, he prescribed me maxalt (I have tried imitrex with not good results) the maxalt dissolving pill has been helpful (i'm so surprised that i'm writing about SUCCESS with meds!)  I don't want to jinx myself, but i think the cycle is heading out and am shocked that it was so short (as i said 6 weeks).  Usually I'm getting hit BAD for 12 weeks.  No trips to ER.  No kip 10s.  I hope you continue to have pain free days.   SmileyKim
IP Logged
Elizabeth

Email

Re: First Post to Board
« Reply #2 on: Apr 6th, 2002, 3:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Apr 5th, 2002, 5:32pm, kim wrote:
Well, my neuro started me on the neurontin March 16th.  Had some bad hits (nothing near in the past) but have been absolutely ch free for 4 days.  No shadows, no nothing.  He prescribed me 100mg 3x day.  

Man, I wish it had been the same for me! 300mg a day? I was taking 600mg three times a day, and it still didn't help....

I'm happy you've found something that works for you...  
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss