Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Amitriptyline? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Amitriptyline?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Amitriptyline?  (Read 473 times)
DeadHead

Email

Amitriptyline?
« on: Oct 15th, 2002, 5:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Howdy!
I am new to the board but I've lived with the beast for 3 years now. I just started a new vicious cycle after being pain free for over a year. My doctor prescribed Amitriptyline (25mg) once at bedtime. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this drug. Most of the info I found online about this drug focused on the anti-depressant uses not pain control.(Maybe my doctor is trying to tell me something...) I am a chronic insomniac and take 20mg of Ambien every night, will this new cocktail turn me into a zombie? I'm supposed to pick it up at the Pharmacy on my way home tonight, so I'll keep you posted. Thanks in advance for your feedback, and thanks for sharing your experiences...it helps to know that I'm not alone with this.
IP Logged
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Amitriptyline?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2002, 5:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Howdy deadhead,

Amitriptyline (when I can EVER spell THAT right ;D), similar to Elavil.  I was prescribed this a long time ago.  It was not effective.  I'm sorry to say.  There is other info available here (try search at top right or check out the buttons on the left of the screen) you can find lots of feedback.

Personally, it did nadda for me.  sorry could not help more.  good luck to you! Smiley
IP Logged
tomshead

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15th, 2002, 6:09pm »

see the ADAPIN, DOXEPIN topic, talkin about the same stuff, sincronicity....wierd world
IP Logged
DeadHead

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2002, 6:19pm »

How ironic, my post being right next to the Adapin/Doxepin post. It was when I posted it anyway. I'm concerned about the groggy-zombie like state it produces but I'll do anything to help with the pain. It looks like I won't be operating any heavy machinery in the near future...there goes my dream of driving the big rigs! No big whoop...I work at night. I did see one side effect that has me concerned though, you guessed it....no lead in the pencil. Now I have to switch my board name to Mr.Softee.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 9:53am »

It's a tricyclic antidepressant.  These work by effecting the serotonin levels in the brain (I don't remember if it's an agonist or antagonist).

I tried it some years back but it left me so groggy in the morning that I stopped taking it the second day.

I know of one chronic who says it stopped his attacks completely (that was 7 or 8 years ago and he's had none since).

Since verapamil stops me up so bad, I'm going to give the elavil another shot next cycle.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
J. Marshall

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 10:08am »

This drug has been used and effective for pain, mainly muscular. So no, your doctor's not trying to tell you anything.  

I was using it for about 3 months and the main side effects were weight gain & drowsiness. Didn't have any problems with impotence, but everyone is different. Talk to your doctor about the side effects, cause there are other drugs in the same class that don't cause these side effects.

Good Luck, let us know how you're doing...
IP Logged
oringkid

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 12:03pm »

I was prescribed Amitriptyline (which is Elavil) many years ago, for both clusters and depression.  Did not help the clusters at all, and didn't do all that much for my depression either.

The grogginess side effect of Amitriptyline does wear off after a while, unless you start taking something else that tends to grogginess.  I started taking Xanax for anxiety attacks and the two together would put me out!  Do not drive when starting Amitriptyline or if you are on another grogginess med.  (You may check with your doc on maybe cutting down or eliminating the Ambien)

Sherry
IP Logged
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 12:22pm »

Deadhead:

I was prescribed Elavil several years ago for the treatment of my clusters... I was given, I think, 10 Mg at night time before I went to bed.  It actually worked in preventing the attacks I was getting in the middle of the night, and allowed me to sleep through the night.  The only problem was that felt like I was wrapped in cellophane when I woke up.  

While it is a anti-depressant, it was it's ability to reduce the constriction of the blood vessels in the brain that made it effective.. at least that's what the dr. told me...
anyways, I don't know how accurate that statement was, but the net effect was that I was able to sleep, but felt like I OD on Nyquil in the morning.    Cheesy

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 12:40pm »

10mg is pretty low Slammy.  My doc started me at 50mg.  The Rx on the stuff says you can go as high as 150mg, divided into doses throughout the day.

Depression is related to serotonin, 5HT, levels in the brain.  Amitrip.. stops the neurons from taking back the 5HT molecules when the receiveing neuron is done with them.  This keeps more 5HT in the synapse, ready to do whatever it does.

Not sure where the "used for pain" statement comes from.  I see nothing in it's literature that talks about pain.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oops.  I take that back.  Just found this:

Elavil is prescribed for the relief of symptoms of mental depression. It is a member of the group of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. Some doctors also prescribe Elavil to treat bulimia (an eating disorder), to control chronic pain, to prevent migraine headaches, and to treat a pathological weeping and laughing syndrome associated with multiple sclerosis.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2002, 12:52pm by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
DeadHead

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16th, 2002, 2:11pm »

Thanks for all the good info. I had my wife pick it up last night from my local pharmacy and was dismayed to find that my insurance company wouldn't cover it. I hate insurance companies, I have Cigna and they generally suck. It wasn't really that big of a deal as this is a fairly inexpensive drug...$9.99 for 30 25Mg doses. I didn't really notice any additional drowsiness but that's probably because I already take enough Ambien to put down a horse. I did however have fantastic dreams. Very vivid but not nightmares. My doc says that it will take a couple of weeks of continued use before the benefits take hold. I had an attack around 8:30 but it only lasted for 30-45 minutes an was not a pacer. I'm pain free so far today (knock on wood).
IP Logged
DeadHead

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 2:35pm »

I don't want to jinx myself here but I think this stuff has broken my cycle. I've been pain free for 48 hours without so much as a twinge. The dreams are unreal, super vivid...but no nightmares. Most importantly I've still got spring in my thing. It's all good! I know that 2 days may be a bit early to start celebrating but 2 days during a cycle seems like 2 weeks in real time.
IP Logged
emilysmommy
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 2:40pm »

Hi Deadhead.  I have Cigna too & yes they do suck.  They won't cover my Imitrex injections, but they do cover my Elavil.  I also take 25 mg & it has done nothing for me.  I've been wondering if perhaps my ha's have gotten worse.  

Michelle
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss