Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Abortive Meds and Heart Disease - anyone? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies 2002
(Moderator: DJ)
   Abortive Meds and Heart Disease - anyone?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Abortive Meds and Heart Disease - anyone?  (Read 1378 times)
JoeyT

Email

Abortive Meds and Heart Disease - anyone?
« on: Dec 29th, 2002, 9:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I posted my first post on the General board yesterday. The whole thing was very therapeutic. I've had clusters for 27 years. They were chronic for 20 years. Had a heart attack 4.5 years ago and they stopped.  A month ago they returned. Now my doc won't give me Imitrex or anything else with ergotamine - which was always the only thin that worked.

Does anyone else have a heart condition and CH?  What does your doc give you?

I wish this site had been around in some form 27 years ago.  

Thanks...Joey

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2002, 11:22am by JoeyT » IP Logged
domm
New Board Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Abortive Meds and Heart Disease - anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 11:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Joey - email Svenn. He's had a heart attack and uses a variety of stuff. I would also suggest Verapamil as a preventative and oxygen as an abortive.
Good luck and PFDANs to you
domm
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 11:43am »

While Imitrex has a good safety profile there are sufficient negative outcomes to warrant your doc's stance given your heart condition.

Agree, that preventive meds is the best approach.

I have reported here (several months ago) excellent results using Zyprexa (olanzapine), 5mg, to abort attacks. After using Ergomar for many years it disappeared from the market and I tried the Zyprexa in desperation. It proved to work as quickly but more consistently than Ergomar.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2002, 4:49pm »

I just wont to add my medications for breaking out of cycle.But remember that i`m not a doc,just another clusterhead from Norway  

Verapamil Retard 120mgX5-7/daily during cycle    
Oxygene alone at 10ltm for 15 minutes or combined with imitrex-shots does miracles.The shots should start working in 6-9minutes.a few secons after that you are almost painfree    
Prednisolone in high doze for 10 days 80mg    
then over a 3 weeks periode step down like 60-40-30-20-10-5mg /daily    

This is the miraclecure for me,but i`m not a doc.just another clusterhead from Norway    

I also have a bad heartcondition.Had a heartattack Nov 12.But quitting the shots is no option for me.I think that the shots is Gods gift to us clusterheads.  
The thing that i don`t understand or found the answer to is how i after the attack has had only 9 light clusterattacks."singleattacks"And before i was diagnosed as a cronical.  
But so it has been said."I do not reccomend heartattacks as a treatment for cluster".Its a bit extreme for that.Dont you think?    
Take care my friend    

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss