Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Who is who here to the newcommers (Read 106932 times)
UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Re: Who is who here to the newcommers
Reply #525 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 4:56pm

I'm so sorry, Chris- but you've come to the right place for help.  There's lots of good info on this board to give to a doctor so they can help you.  good luck!

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #526 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 8:13pm

Sorry you have to find us Chris, but glad you did.  I live in Weaverville and there's another clusterhead who lives out this way as well.

I sent you a PM with some info, feel free to contact me and ask any questions, and go through this site and read read and read some more and then use the links on the left and go to the OUCH US site (Organization for Understanding Cluster Headaches) and read the info there.

There's bound to be something we can find to help you out Smiley

Cat

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

metalmark215
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #527 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 1:01pm

My name is Mark.  I live and work in Texas and operate an oil workover rig.  I first started having these headaches last year, and up until this morning thought it was sinus headache.

I am so happy that I found a site where more people suffer from the same symptoms.  I truly thought I was going crazy.  My wife couldnt understand why I would move around and bang my fists on my head when I was already in so much pain.  People really dont realize what kind of pain is involved with this affliction.

I noticed a few months back that I seemed to have a lazy eye, but never thought much of it.  I did know that when i had these attacks that all the pain was focused on my eye.  I never thought that the drooping eye was linked to my headache. 

The last episode I had was a few weeks before this one, witch was last night.  I took a trip to the emergency room for the last one.  The dr. seemed to think it was sinus problems. At that time, though I did have a stuffy nose so I didnt question it.  This last episode and the few before this one had no other symptoms but the ridiculous pain. 

I tried to explain to the dr. that all the pain was around my eye, and it was only on one side of my head every time.  he never even mentioned cluster headache.  Im so happy I found this site.  Im not so happy that I had to find out for myself what the problem was though.

If anyone has what they think is the best weapon of choice, please let me know.  Im willing to try anything.

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #528 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 2:19pm

Welcome Mark!

The weapon of choice for most of us is Oxygen. Then you need some kind of preventative.
You should get to a neuro ASAP as there are more severe conditions with similar symptoms.

Meanwhile you can try energy drinks, strong coffee and hot or cold showers.

Until you get to the neuro read, read, read and ask, ask, ask as you probably have to educate your doc.

Oliver

IP Logged

metalmark215
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #529 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 5:07pm

thanks for replying so soon.  Do you have to get a script for an oxygen setup or can you buy the setup over the counter?

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #530 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 9:20pm

You can do either but most important is getting the right stuff. It must go up to a minimum delivery of 15 litres/minute and you need a non-re-breather mask.

Actually getting the gear can be a bit of a run-around but well worth the effort.

Welcome aboard,

Brian.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

jeannineuk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #531 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 5:40pm

Hi, my name's jeannine, i got my first "attack" last year. it lasted literally a week, but symptoms started a week before that. The first thing i noticed was that my eye was leaking, i thought i had cunjunctivitis for a week. My first headache was on the sunday evening, and my last and worst headache lasting around 5 hours was on the following sunday evening.

I went to the doctors and they told me i had cluster headaches which of course i'd never heard of before. i would have 3-4 clusters a day always lasting over 3 hours. but the pain was in 3 stages, the stabbing in my eye, an annoying constant pain, then awful radiating all over the left side of my face pain that no words can describe.

that was last june/july time. but i'm so scared right now, cuz tonight my left eye, the same eye as last time started getting weepy, and i've had a constant headache all evening above my eye, i read something about a warning headache, i wasn't sure if this is that. having any bright lights causes sharp pain above my eye like last year.

that's me, im 22, scared as hell that it's gonna come back again, like so many of you as well i'm sure. this'll be my second episode if it is that, i pray to God it's not!

thanks for reading my rant, or whatever that was.

IP Logged

vmcoop
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #532 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 11:37am

I am 26 and been having these damn clusters since I was 18. i am a professional football player and I am married with a daughter. I havent had a cluster for 2 years and now they are back and really kicking my ass. My thighs are sore as hell from so many imitrex shots and i taken 2 prednisone dose packs and nothing is working. I dont think i can take much more of this please help. I lost 10 pounds in the past 2 weeks. I feel like i lost control of my life. Please give me some suggestions. I would tell you a lil more about myself but i cant right now im too desperate.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #533 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 12:45pm

I seen them oxygen tanks and masks on the side lines.  Go see your trainer.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #534 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 9:18am

Hey coop welcome to the board. If all you have is pred and imitrex you're woefully unprepared! The best approach to CH is a 2 pronged one.

1: a decent preventative med. This is  a med you take daily, while on cycle, to reduce the number and the intensity of your attacks. I use lithium at 1200 mg a day. Other popular preventatives are verapamil, at doses higher then it's normally used, and topomax. Many others to read about and discuss with your neuro.

2: a decent abortive. Oxygen should be your first line abortive. Read the 02 link on the left. For 02 to be effective, it MUST be used correctly. The rigs you have on the side lines are okay for a guy who just ran 50 yards, but almost worthless for CH!!!! Your lungs must get ONLY pure 02, no outside air, no exhaled air. This is best accomplished using a non re breather mask and a high flow regulator, at least 15 LPM.

You will find most doctors are clueless about CH. No fault on their part, there are just very few of us and most docs will never encounter a patient with CH. It's incumbent on YOU to educate yourself, form a partnership with your doc and develop a long term plan to deal with it.

Glad you found us, you'll never be alone with this crap again!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

gmann11
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bedford Texas
Reply #535 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 7:39pm

Hello All. I am Gary. I am 42 years old and been episodic since I was about 22 I guess. 

I live in Texas and I work in the oil field... well Natural Gas. If you tell people you work in Natural Gas they think you work at a utility company Grin.

Been in the oilfield since 88.  I was a History / Political Science Double Major in College so working in the oilfield was the natural choice for somone who does not like asking people "Would you like fries with your order?"

I was in the Navy for a while.... reserves.... One of my fears was what would I do if I got the headaches during boot. Luckily it did not happen.

I have a lovely wife who is very supportive and a beautiful 17 yr old daughter who seems to have a nack for perfect timing with a hug.

This site is great. The only problem is when I read about other people's episodes it makes me sick to my stomach knowing what your going through.  God Blees you all.

Gary

IP Logged

Artonio
CH.com Alumnus

I Love

New Castle, Pa
Reply #536 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 7:29pm

Hello Gary... welcome. How's your head?

with warm regards,
Tony

For in our hands lies the ability to shape our world for good or for ill. President Barack Obama
IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #537 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 8:15pm

I just noticed this thread, to busy reading to look around much.
My name is Barry Baer, Northeast Pennsylvania, yea, that is my name, mom had a sense of humor, her first choice was Teddy, so I guess I lucked out. Grin  Most people just call me Baer, they think it's a nickname.
    I've had these cursed things for about 15 years, episodic. I'm 53 years old and have found my remission periods get longer, but unfortunately so do my cycles. Currently in cycle, after three glorious pain free years, I'm in my 13th week a new personal best, it sucks.
    Three years to get proper diagnosis, tried most of the level one perventatives. I just got off Sansert and Topamax, as I told the neuro. I didn't feel it was helping. Off the meds. for two weeks no better no worse. I won't bore you with the details, I'm sure it's much the same as yours. O2 is my primary abort, 15 LPM but I am looking into faster flow rates and poss. a demand valve.
     My wonderful wife found this site three years ago and it's made coping with the beast so much better. We both signed on but have been reading and learning for over three years.
     Thanks to all you folks for your help and support. To the newbies, we now have a lot of ammo to fight this thing, hang in there. The old days we had no Imitrex or O2 and I would never want to deal with that again, here's to Pain free days and nights to all.

Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #538 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 9:53am

Teddy Bear...sigh...gotta love mommies! And thank God for wives who do our internet searchng for us. My wife found this board for me too. Welcome home.

Joe

IP Logged

paco
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #539 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 3:48pm

now in my 7th year with ch, just found this website and figured on giving it a try. medications have worked and not worked, seems like the ch's get used to something after awhile and I gotta switch again. stress and alcohol get mine goin instantly and fresh cool air helps while warm muggy air intensifies it.
Im 46 yrs old, divorced with a 21 yr old son and a 9 yr old daughter. I go to work sometimes having an attack there, but my boss understands and recognizes when Im having one. They just avoid me and wait till I come walking back in once I have it at a tolerable level. Sometimes that never happens though.
I iove riding my horses but sometimes the aches of over doing it will spawn an attack. Well, thats about it!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #540 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 8:02pm

Welcome to the board paco! 49 here, about 30 years of dancing with the beast. Do you have 02 yet? My first line and most effective abortive, look forward to seeing more of you on the board!

Joe

IP Logged

wogglesmum
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #541 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Sorry I know this post is from a long time ago, but I posted here recently about my first CH (may 2008, and again in dec 2008), which happened a few months after I started taking Yasmin - the UK version of Yaz.

I started a third cluster last week - went to my docs for a repeat of sumatriptan injections, and she took one look at my history and told me to stop taking the combined pill IMMEDIATELY - put me on the mini-pill (POP). I took my last yasmin pill on tuesday, my first POP yesterday and today NO HEADACHE!! My clusters had been happening for about 3 weeks at a time!!!

THis cant be coincidence can it??? Mayeb - but worth a mention nevertheless!

Helen x

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #542 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 3:35pm

THis cant be coincidence can it??? Mayeb - but worth a mention nevertheless!

Maybe it is, maybe not! The important thing is you're not hurting! Wink I am not familiar with your meds, but hope the pain free time continues. Would suggest you stay up with the boards just in case it stops working so you'll have a plan B ready to go! Welcome to the board.

Joe

IP Logged

Geoffro
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #543 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 10:35am

Not sure if I did it correctly but introduced myself earlier by clicking 'start a topic' I have suffered with CH since my 20's and I am now 54!  They come like a thief in the night and steal my sanity!

I am so glad I found this website maybe I can talk to people who understand - at last, thank you I am from the UK.

Sorry, should have put my name at the end, it is Geoff.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2009 at 10:45am by Geoffro »  

IP Logged

Antonia
CH.com Newbie

Make it stop!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #544 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:22pm

My name is Antonia and I am a columnist/blogger for Canada's biggest paper, The Toronto Star. I found you guys yesterday and I have already printed off the O2 info for my doctor who is well-meaning but clueless about how much I need. I am on 8 on the regulator, which is as high as it will go. It works, but not as fast as it can, plus the headaches will come back later in the night. I need a new mask like those described here plus more O2.

I never thought I would find myself here. But I am glad that you exist.

My first attack came in 1975, when I was in my early 20s. They came back, like Swiss trains running through my head, every Jan-Feb after that for 15 years.

They thought it was neuralgia, sinus, tension, migraine, tumours ... They put me on Demerol, Percodan, Fiorinal, Valium, codeine ...
I'd take the drug and then, by the time the headache went away, I was Miss Dopey.

Believe me, if you think they know nothing now, you should have seen what it was like then. Not even Dr. Google to help you out.

Finally, the guy who was gonna perform sinus surgery (!!!!) on me decided, just to be safe, to get an opinion from a neurologist. I will never forget this guy. Old, in fact retired, with an eastern European accent. He sat in his chair, palms pressed together, and asked "So? Tell me?''

Well, I have these terrible terrible headaches. They always wake me up although I sometimes get them in the day.

What else?

They're always on the right side of my head, like an ice pick here, right above me eye.

And?

Well here's what's really funny, you can set a watch by them. They always come at the exact same time.

He looked at me and said, well dear, in 50 years of practising neurology, I have never before diagnosed CHs in a woman.

Lucky me.

He gave me 8 pages photocopied from some medical journal and wished me luck.

Huh

It went on for another 5 years when I moved to Toronto 9from Montreal) and my doctor here prescribed Elavil,  Inderal, a beta-blocker, and Demerol. The beta-blocker helped a bit, I think, because my headaches only lasted half an hour instead of two hours and were never quite so awful.

I had my last attack in 1990.

Then, last month, wham. As I posted elsewhere, I had a 19 year remission and now, here I am, sucking 02. At least we know about this now, and also have Imitrex. (I use the nasal one but I am not allowed more than two a week.)

We also have Dr. Google, and each other.

Even now, friends and family who remember my attacks from the old days say, maybe it's stress ...

You know what I am afraid off? That these will become permanent, chronic, something.

WWW Antonia Zerbisias  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #545 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 8:56pm

You know what I am afraid off? That these will become permanent, chronic, something

They may, and they may not. The important thing is to live your life between the hits. NEVER let the beast take anymore from you then his due! Wink

Joe

PS. Get that high flow regulator...all the difference in the world!

IP Logged

smokydogjoe
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #546 - May 2nd, 2009 at 11:58am

hey everyone...
                     my real name is tony and i have been dealing with CH forever. only a couple of years ago did i finally find out what it was.
actually i am feeling pretty lucky that i have went a full day pain free. just wanted to get my first post in and move on to find out what else works. i'm going to the doc this coming week to see what my next step is. i have self treated myself for years and the Halls cough drops just aren't cutting it anymore...thats right, i said halls. i also use Vick's inhalers which is excellent instant temperary relief.
as i sit here introducing myself i feel one creeping up on me...as usual on my left, starts out at the shoulder then eventually finds its way behind my eye and thats when i start getting irratable   Angry
looking forward to hangin with fellow CH'ers

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #547 - May 3rd, 2009 at 7:33pm

Welcome to the board Tony. The good news is there are FAR more effective treatments then Halls! Please read the "oxygen info" link on the left side of the board before seeing your doc. Print out the info and be REALLY pushy in demanding oxygen. It's been a miracle treatment for many. No side effects, cheap, and for me it'll kick the beasts arse in less then 10 minutes.

So glad you found us. Wink

Joe

IP Logged

smokydogjoe
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #548 - May 4th, 2009 at 12:17am

i don't see the link your talking about

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #549 - May 4th, 2009 at 9:25am

smokydogjoe wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 12:17am:
i don't see the link your talking about

To get to the oxygen info area that Joe talked about, go here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 34
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!