Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Who is who here to the newcommers (Read 106912 times)
John DeVito
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Who is who here to the newcommers
Reply #550 - May 10th, 2009 at 11:13pm

Hi Everyone,

I stopped by here a number of years ago, but not too good at keeping up with forums.

I'm 43, been hanging out with the beast for 27 years since having a significant head injury/brain surgery as a teenager.  First one of these headaches I ever had (and we all know the difference between these and regular headaches Smiley ) was in the hospital.

My cycles are 6 months to three years apart, they last for a month to a month and a half, and the headaches occur at night about an hour to an hour and a half after I go to sleep.  The headaches last for 30 minutes to three hours.

I use a hot pepper based nasal spray which sometimes helps, oxygen (which is the best abortive I have used) and my neuro prescribes Verapamil.

I'm in a cycle now (started last Monday night).  My last one was two years ago.

Here's wishing you all PF days and nights.

John

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #551 - May 11th, 2009 at 11:09am

Welcome home! If you haven't already, make sure you read the "oxygen info" tab on the left. There have been some significant improvements in HOW we use the 02 that's shortening the abort times.

Also, since yours are primarily night time hits, consider using an OTC called melatonin, a sleep aid, available at vitamin and health stores. You have to experiment a little with dosing, many have found they can avoid the night time terrors using it.

Wishing you a short cycle this go round.

joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

sylverstar
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

albuquerque, nm
Reply #552 - May 11th, 2009 at 1:11pm

HI!  I'm Sylvia (56) and I found this site just over a month ago, but missed this part - uh, I'm not always all there.  I went to a bar-b-q one day in April 2003, and while in the middle of a conversatioon I suddenly got what I thought was brain freeze.  I started "ow-ing" but at the same time was trying to remember what I could have swallowed that was so cold.  After 10 seconds when the brain freeze is supposed to start fading, all of a sudden it got even worse.  This lasted an hour then stopped on a dime.  Afer that I started having them 2 - 3 times a week.  I was finally diagnosed 4 years later and put on several RX's that just made everything worse.  I actually went to 3 - 6 a day.  This April I finally was referred to the Headache Center in San Francisco, where I finally found out that we are stuck with this!  After a little one day period of boo-hoo-ing, I got it together and figured, aw, what the hell.  It's just one more thing to deal with right?  I work full time, drive out of town on weekends to visit my daughter, and have been able to adjust my life around these monsters.  I found this site after my second visit to UCSF, and felt like crying.  I have gotten all the well meaning advice from everybody I know (lay down / take an aspirin / get a make over???? Yes my mother came up with that one!).  I use mainly oxygen, have a Red Bull in my purse along with 2 sumatriptan inhalers.  And Life Is Grand!  Glad to neet everybody and hope to meet in person too!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #553 - May 11th, 2009 at 3:31pm

A whisker south of you down here at the border, welcome to the board! We're doing a get together in Sain Louis in July...check it out at the bottom of the board. Get together's are a life changing experience and highly addicting! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

brian e
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #554 - May 12th, 2009 at 9:05am

Hi,  I'm Brian,
          22 years of the beast every couple years for about 2 months

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #555 - May 12th, 2009 at 10:14am

Welcome to the board Brian. When you get a second, give us a run down of what meds you have used, what has and hasn't worked for you. Maybe you'll toss a new idea our way, maybe we can make some suggestions to take back to your doc. Do you have oxygen yet? Read the "oxygen info" link on the left. Been something of a miracle abortive for many on the board. I can stop the beast in 6-8 minutes with it, certainly worth a shot.

So glad you found us, welcome home!

joe

IP Logged

brian e
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #556 - May 12th, 2009 at 1:32pm

This is my first cycle in a couple of years.   I went to my gm first and got migranal,  don't like it much but works most times.  Asked about ox but it seems doctors still have a problem giving it for ch.  Finally went to the the brain doc and got a steroid, calium blocker, and treximet. went through it like candy,  9 pills for whole month.  Trying melatonin 9mg last two nites.  Wake up with a sinus like headache in  morning but no beast at 2am.

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #557 - May 12th, 2009 at 2:39pm

Hi Brian!  Welcome!
I had the same issues with my doc and prescribing O2.  He tried to tell me that it was dangerous and didn't work for many people.  I asked him to elaborate, as I had done some research.  He told me that O2 was dangerous if I smoked around it or had it by my toaster when I was using it.  I told him it sure was a good thing I am a responsible adult who doesn't smoke who has a room in the back of my place away from my toaster/ elements that could ignite things that might get saturated then right?   Wink  I also told him that the O2 suppliers do a walk-thru of your place with you and give you information that you need.  This helped...
As far as it not working for some, it does work for more than not, and he could not argue with my thought WHY NOT TRY IT - I Hated the side effects of the triptan drugs.  There are No side effects with O2!!
I came to the real reason he was stalling after going through these ideas of his - he had never prescribed it.  I printed out the O2 page on the left - has what to write for the prescription - and he wrote it after a week to read it over and consult with his neuro buddies.
So - I've been using it for a month.  It is GReaT!!!  As for Treximet - I also tried it.  It takes too long to enter the bloodstream.  A better bet is Imitrex Injectable (Statdose) in my opinion - same Sumatriptan med as Treximet, but no NSAID and it is in your system working FAST!!!  They also make nasal spray if you don't do needles.  But the injectable isn't a syringe in the traditional sense - they are hidden in "pens" that you just have to push a button on.  
Melatonin is working pretty well for me too.  Smiley

Hoping for PF time for ya!   Cool

Val

val2651  
IP Logged

brian e
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #558 - May 12th, 2009 at 2:52pm

thanks VAl

IP Logged

Tamara
CH.com Junior

Can you find where I left
my head???

Orlando, Fl
Newbie but old friend to CH's
Reply #559 - May 24th, 2009 at 8:53pm

Hello Iam a newcomer, I have read alot of your messages boards. I have a long history of CH's going on 5 years. I am chronic. I still a little nerves tellin my experience. I still have to get everything in place in my mushing head. I have been on this site years ago. And now I cannot go thru this alone. I used to think my family is all I needed. But the end of the line they have know Idea the beast as you call it. I seems to be just habbit to them now and I assure You I will never just get use to this . So I know I will find alot compasion people here 5+ yrs for me is way to long never have missed more than 3 weeks of no headaches So for now I will leave it at this and tell my story. Thanks all who are hear!!!!!!!!!!! Undecided
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2009 at 8:58pm by Tamara »  

Glad your here !!~

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #560 - May 28th, 2009 at 9:57am

Well thankfully I found you on the other board as I missed you on this one! Embarrassed My bad! Welcome to the nuthouse, you're on your way to an enlightened view of CH, and more importantly, you'll never have to face it alone again! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

doncey
CH.com Newbie

Keep headbanging!

victorville cali
Reply #561 - May 28th, 2009 at 6:02pm

Hmmmm... I thought I had registerd here already, cant find my account info. Oh well eh? *shrugs* anyway, I pop in and out over at calouch since 05, known there as bobbysworld. Found out Linda will be retiring from that site as she is moving. (correct me if im wrong Linda) So, I guess I'll be moving here with the rest of my fellow CH's.

Lets see, episodic... 3-4 years apart. Generally last for about 3 months and hit every night after work. (early evening) last episode was in 05, most recent started last week. so im in for a long summer. My episodes start out as heavy shadows first few days, then tend to be a bit illregular for about a week (meaning they hit at anytime during the day) then very regular in the following couple of months, and back to illregular towards the end of my cycle. This is how I know when the end is near.

Been dealing with level 5-6 this week tell last night.. 8-9. Was strange because I expected it to hit around 8 like the night before, 8 came and went and I ofcourse over reacted thinking I had beat the beast for the night, tell alittle after nine. Got the hot, tingly, numb feeling on the right side of my head. followed by a slow creeping hit lasting for close to two hours accompanied by waves of pain 4-9. Long story short, lasted much longer then my 45 minute hits, and wasnt the "bam! here it is, Bam! its gone" I'll be curious to see if that is a trend this cycle.

So, last cycle I didnt have insurance. Paid cash for a nero who didnt seem to want to help me at all. Refused to give me oxygen, but did give me a sample of a triptan which only worked the first time I tried it. Shortly after the cycle ended. I got insurance through work after that waiting for the next cycle. 4 years! 4 years I kept it tell last month, things have been tight at work hours cut, pay cut as many may be experiancing, so I cancelled the insurance. *grumbles* so here I am, a few weeks later, in cycle and without 02.

So thats my story, its a pleasure to meet those I havnt.
Bobby (or doncey)

Bobby
doncey_1  
IP Logged

Joe52
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Inland Empire, CA
Reply #562 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 6:47pm

Bobby...new to this site and will post an intro later but I saw you live in Victorvile and I live in Apple Valley.  I'm looking for a GP or Neuro to get some help and was wondering if you could recommend?  I have no insurance either, called one office who doesn't take CASH.  What has the world come to?   thanks, Joe

IP Logged

tiredguy27
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #563 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 10:07pm

Hello, Im a newbie to the website. Im 27 Year old CH sufferer for 5 years. first 2 years was misdiagnosed as sinus infections. So 2000 sudafed later... here i am. Married w/ 3 kids and wife is finally starting to understand my pain and that they will never go away. anybody have any advice to keep my family happy and as far away from my attacks as possible.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #564 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 11:36am

A welcome to all 3 of you! A recommendation to keep wife happy and CH at bay!!!! Try the 2 pronged approach:

1: A good prevent medicine. A med you take daily while in cycle to reduce frequency and intensity of your attacks. I use lithium, blocks 70-80% of my attacks, verapamil and topomax are 2 other popular prevents. Most take up to 2 weeks to become effective in your system. Many use a 2 week prednisone taper to get them through that 2 week period. Pred is a very effective prevent but should only be used short term as long term use can mess you up a bit.

2: A good abortive. The attack starts..oh no!!! Your first line abortive should be oxygen. I can stop the beast in 6-8 minutes huffing the 02. Even without insurance out of pocket is affordable. For years I was renting the E-Tanks at $4 a month, $12 bucks per refill. You can score a cheap regulator off of E-Bay, make sure you read the oxygen info as it must be used correctly or it doesn't work.

For now, keep some energy drinks on hand. Any containing caffeine and taurine. Chug one of those when you feel an attack coming on. Many can abort an attack or at least reduce it using these.

Then get the wife in the supporters section. Good place for the partners of us CH'ers to commiserate at what pains we can be while on cycle!

A big CH welcome to all 3 of you!

Joe

IP Logged

eyedrooper
CH.com Newbie

Don't Touch Me There!

Auburn WA
FNG! thats me!
Reply #565 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 7:30pm

male 44yrs w/ch 5
I can't really blame the doctors that tried when I first went to them 5 years ago. The walk in clinic sent me to an ear nose throat spec. he sent me to get a cat scan then to a neuro. she sent me to an eye doc, he was an ass and my bout was over so I never looked back. until a year later when the beast rose again, I had no idea what was goin on, I thought it was dental related. I did some minimal research online but nothing jumped out at me. the second bout only lasted a couple weeks always in the evening and when trying to sleep.
Then nothing for like 2 years until now... the beast is back and pissed at me for thinking I got away. I went to the dentist to see if it was my wisdom teeth or other problem, no luck, I actually teared up when he said its not my teeth. He recommended I go to the University of Washington Pain Clinic, hope they take my insurance.

The last few days have been a challenge to say the least.

But last night I found this site and OMG! I read, and read the Wiki article, and every symptom I knew, it was an eye opener. I was relieved to find I was not alone and to see the support and what works for some/most. I am still in a bout but am able to fight off most severe attacks with activity, or, get this, push up pops. It was really hot and every time I felt an attack comming I ate another ice push up pop. It seemed to be working.... until I went to bed...

Thanks for reading my first ramble/rant

No matter where you go... There you are..
wastedspaceinmyspace  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #566 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 7:37pm

Welcome home Eyedrooper.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

JustNotRight
CH.com Sponsor

CH version 15.0.8 member
since 2005 aka GingerS224

Wilkes-Barre, Pa (USA)
Reply #567 - Jul 31st, 2009 at 8:02pm

Welcome to CHville  Huh sort of....

...well, welcome to the msg board anyway Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
M.K. Gandhi

If you are going through hell...Just keep going
WWW JustNotRight gngr.stewart GingerS224  
IP Logged

ryan_wi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

sheboygan, wi
Reply #568 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 7:22pm

im new but i would rather not be...cuz these things suck! neways im ryan from wisconsin. im 29 and been having these headaches since i was 19. i just got done going through my cycle they started on the 24 of june and last one i had was august 2nd. ill have about two to three a day. the imatrex shot is the only temporary relief for me, i tried everything! and the doc has me on lithium 300mg twice a day and verapamil 360mg once a day. i dont think the drugs work at all but, they keep trying. previous to this i have not had any CH's since october of 2005. i hope this time they go away forever but i know that that wont happen. Sad

*WINGNUT*

IP Logged

escoffier
CH.com Newbie

Rip-Rap-Rippedy-Dooo
o

Wisconsin
Reply #569 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 2:57pm

Wow, This is impressive!  I guess I never thought that other people went through this madness.  The blissfully ignorant non-sufferers (sp?) that I seem to have surrounded myself with simply cannot comprehend what it means to go cycling.  In the beginning I tried to explain it and now I have decided that it is better to keep it to myself because I fear the creature might break containment and gain access to areas of my emotional impulse center and transform me into a full blown stark raving mad lunatic!  At any rate, it is really comforting to not be alone anymore.  I am 37 years old and had my first episode 7 years ago while driving home from work (thought my brain shorted out).  I was fortunate to be diagnosed about a week later, however, I failed to do any real research on CH.   That cycle lasted for about three months and then one day I realized I hadn't had an episode for 3 days.  That lasted until about four weeks ago.  The creature has awakened and it is 7 years hungry.  Well; I'm glad to be here and really glad CH is here I've learned quite a bit so far and from what I understand have a long path ahead.  Merry Meet, Merry Part, Merry Meet Again

Don't sweat the petty things and avoid petting the sweaty things.
escoffier  
IP Logged

lis
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #570 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 6:10am

Hi,  I'm Lis,

I'm new to this cluster headache world....I've always been prone to bad headaches but usually take a pill and they go away but about 7 weeks ago the headaches just seemed to persist.  It starts behind my right eye, at first I thought I might need glasses, but no, I have 20/20 vision.... then the pain killers stopped working and the headaches got worse, a trip to the doctor told me that I had cluster migranes and that they might go away, they might not....great! At the moment the headaches range from a slight pressure behind my eye to a full blown fire burning on the right side of my face and head.  I have had no support from the doctor or the pharmasist, I have been given everything from paracetamol to migraleave with no relief. I think I'm going mad, I can't concentrate, I'm just putting my faith in the fact that most of you guys say the cycle will end....eventually....for a while  Cry

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #571 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 7:37am

Hi Lis and welcome. Sorry you had to seek us out. You say no support from your doc so it is very unlikely you will be scripted o2 as an abortive that works for the majority of us here.

You might want to be referred to a headache specialist who knows what CH's really are. Please read the links to your left and educate yourself about CH's.

This is what I have learned here since I joined a few years ago.

100% oxygen with at least a 15 LPM regulator and a non-rebreather mask, no outside air what so ever! Get on the o2 at the very first sign of an on-coming hit. This is how we abort CH's. I can knock one down within a few minutes using this procedure.

Next is my preventative. I use Verapamil at 480mg daily to keep the beast at bay, but there are many other options of prevents, but only under your doc's supervision. Lots of time to discuss these methods later on but most important is to get to a doc (Neuro) who knows what you need.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on the board, this is how we learn stuff. There is a ton of knowledge and help here, so you are not alone with this pain anymore.

Once again, welcome, this place saved my life and many, many others.

Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

lis
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #572 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 11:31am

Thanks for the advice.  These headaches seem to be linked to tension? I find that they come and go really quickly, one minute I'll be in agony and the next minute I think "Oh, it's gone," no it hasn't, it comes back again, but if I try to relax it eases slightly.  I do tend to clenth my teeth alot and I do have a history of acute anxiety.  I also have a twitch over the same eye as the headaches??? I really do feel like i'm swimming against the tide here..... I feel like crying...I have a very understanding but worried partner. We havent been together that long, it must be so hard for him.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #573 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 2:05pm

Lis, so glad you have a supporter. About the intensifying of the attack, I try once I get on the o2 to try to calm myself down, even though it is one of the toughest things to do, but it does help.

The way you describe the way the hit comes on then backs off then back again is what we describe and call "ramping up" and again try and remain as calm as possible.

We are going to work with you on fighting this monster, promise, and others will be able to offer their help and advise. Hang in there, can't fix your head over night but we will sure help you all we can. Be strong.

Barry

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

foxxfury666
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #574 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 4:28pm

My name is Steven Fox. I come from Torrington CT. I got my first cluuster on the week of thanksgiving in 2000, while on a flight to fort lauderdale, fla. for vacation. although it hurt at the time, i thought it was just a headache. i woke up the next day, with this insistant headache, it only lasted for fifteen minutes, but it sucked. this continued for three months, constantly ramping up, until i went to a doctor. he sent me for an open mri, which i was having a cluster while it was being done... as the table warmed up, the pain was replaced with euphoria, and i fell asleep. the headaches went away, and i thought i was done suffering, so i never went back to the doctor. eight months later it was back. finally nine years later i have a diagnosis, and i found you guys. i have destroyed my house, and most of my posessions, while in pain. meds weren't helping, verapamil, metroprolol, vicoden. imetrex does, but my insurance covers two injections a week. when i thought i had lost it, i found this site. you saved my life. now i know i'm not the only one. i only hope i can help others, so they don't go through the rage, and anxiety, and loss of self worth that i did for nine years. though this cycle has been my worst yet, it may be going into remission, it's been a few days, while i'm still afraid to go to sleep during the night, i'm trying. if there is any thing i can do to help others, i will. if anyone wants to they can call me,when they are in pain. my number is 8602017318. i swear i almost killed myself, and i had noone to understand, it's impossible to live like this... you're average person doesn't get it, and they get sick of hearing about the pain, they see the dark circles and look away. most people i talk to have never heard of this disease, why is there no awareness? if you need to talk, i'll do my best

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 34
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!