Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Physician in Austin, TX (Read 2004 times)
Zora19
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Physician in Austin, TX
May 28th, 2008 at 1:49am

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I was hoping that someone might have a recommendation for a physician in the Austin or San Antonio area who is knowledgeable about cluster headaches. The last time my husband had them was 6 years ago and, at that time, the doctors we visited didn't really have any information or good treatment suggestions.

Thanks!

Zora

IP Logged

johnp
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Physician in Austin, TX
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2008 at 3:17am

I would try doctor Niman Mathew, he's in houston not to bad of drive for you, but he's good .

good luck

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2008 at 8:17am

Someone can post a list (I'm a dunce when it comes to that) of recommended docs in that area) from the left. I forget where they are (I"m OLD). There are several of our family living in the Austin area - they'll be checking in - they can recommend someone.

BUT, interview the doc you go to -- that's important. Even the most "renown" docs might be quacks... ASK questions and go armed with info on CH. READ the info on the left, print it out and know what you're talking about BEFORE you go in.

Most of us have gone thru several docs and neuros before we find the "right' doc.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2008 at 10:36am

Agree re. Dr. Mathew; one of the old timers in the field.
---------
1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; On-line screen to find a physician.

5. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Look for "Physician Finder" search box.  Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder") which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!