Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
flying.. (Read 4366 times)
cyberone
CH.com Junior

melbourne, AUST
flying..
May 28th, 2008 at 2:51am

just a quick question...
I'm planning to fly from japan to Australia in two weeks...
basically i have to make the flight but I'm kinda just starting to get into a new cycle...its not too bad at the moment but in two weeks it could be...

I'm really worried about the flight...I thought i read somewhere that the changes in air pressure when flying can make it worse if you get hit...

anyway...id be very interested in hearing some peoples experiences with CH and flying...

thx

cyb

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: flying..
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2008 at 3:16am

I fly with my imitrex injectables in my carry on. TSA has pulled it out and looked at it but never given me any trouble with carrying it on the plane. I'm not one that gets triggered by the cabin pressure but I have read people on the board who it is  trigger for.

I'm fortunate in that prednisone all but guarantees me pain free time. If I'm going to take a big vacation, cruise, anything where for a week or so I absolutely cannot risk getting hit, I'll go on a short prednisone burst to make me into a CH superman. Might be worth talking to your doc about. Good luck!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2008 at 10:58am

Imitrex injects for sure.

I've been hit on a plane with a K-8 plus. Transatlantic flight. The guy across the aisle must have thought I was a freak. Had nothing to fight it and had to gut it out. It was horrible. It was my own fault. Prior to fully accepting that alcohol was a trigger I had a beer in the airport so I might sleep a little quicker.  Cheesy

I can laugh about it now. I must have been quite a sight.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2008 at 11:39am

I was in high cycle, new to the beast and had to fly.  I got Frova from the Dr's office (free samples...it is crazy expensive) and it did give me pf time while I was on the plane.

Beth

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - May 29th, 2008 at 3:48pm

I get triggered by cabin pressure changes.  Usually I'm in agony within half an hour of landing.

Another alternative to Imitrex is Frovatriptan (Frova).  This stuff can give you a 24 hour break.  It's a very long acting triptan.

The trick is to take it 3 hours before you expect to land.  That's how long this stuff takes to become effective.

Frovatriptan, never leave home without it  Wink

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

echo
CH.com Alumnus

Chronic and still alive
--- I Win!

Overland Park, KS
Reply #5 - May 29th, 2008 at 4:20pm

DennisM1045 wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 3:48pm:
I get triggered by cabin pressure changes.  Usually I'm in agony within half an hour of landing.

-Dennis-

I'm the same as you in regards to air travel.  Mine will usually hit between the landing and the gate.  I always thought it was altitude related (over 28K Ft).  Maybe it's always been the changes in cabin pressure.  hummmmm

"If you love something, let it go.  If it doesn't come back,  hunt it down and kill it". Proud father of a US Marine,  Marine turned COP, Navy Corpsman, and KS Army National Guard. Our  4 sons serve.

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2008 at 5:40pm

I've never been bothered by flying, but I still keep a couple Zomig nasal sprays in my pocket......better safe than sorry.

Bill

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #7 - May 29th, 2008 at 7:28pm

I do get hit when flying.  Don't know why, its probably because its just about the only time i dont have O2.
I took Gator's idea and use a hard-shell eyeglasses case to store vials and syrenges.  It's a good idea to have the prescription with you in-case security has a problem with it. 
I used to go to the bathroom to shoot up.  Nowadays I just do it right there in my seat.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #8 - May 30th, 2008 at 5:46am

I have done my share of travelling during my ch years, but so far, for some reason, I've never been hit during the flight itself. Before yes, after yes, but never during.

Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2008 at 7:35am

I have got hit flying. It's not fun.

I'd recommend Frovatriptan. It has a huge half life of up to 26 hours so take it 2 hours before the flight. You can take a second 12 hours later (two in a 24 hour period) which will pretty much guarantee you being hit free.

Hope it helps!

Helen

IP Logged

zanychef
CH.com Junior

i'm busting with a masx
cant really go wrong
can i

x1|worthing|England|europe|172|244|
Reply #10 - May 30th, 2008 at 12:59pm

only place i didnt get hit on my honeymoon last year was on the plane there and back lol
i cant figure it out
Ian

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too bad:)
Ian Howard  
IP Logged

cyberone
CH.com Junior

melbourne, AUST
Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 8:38am

thanks for the help...ill let yas know when i get back how it went...i fly out in 10 days

IP Logged

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus

Bass fishin' is a h00t
 It's the catchin' that
sux

Fishin' TEXAS
Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 6:58pm

Definitely a trigger for me.

Frova works for me when I'm gonna fly.

Jean

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.&&&&Take a kid fishin&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register;I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!    Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Trooper
CH.com Veteran

I ain't skeert!

x0|mckinney|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 8:50pm

Had it happen once and I thought I was going to die!!!! Was the worst ever. I have to agree with carrying a eyeglass hard case with a preloaded syringe. I also carry an empty vial in my case and I have cut out the script that was printed on the box. I do this just in case any questions should ever arise. The script has my name on it as well as the Imitrex dosing instructions. Imitrex is aslo printed on the empty vial.  Wink

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 10:36pm

Some folks say no problem.

For me, I had a really bad trip.  This was prior to diagnosis.  Some beer was involved.  Nicotine levels were also all over the place.  I had hits both going transatlatic, and back (and during, and after...)

I avoid flying now while in cycle.  Actually, I can't even deal with that crap while riding in a car - I need to get moving.

But, everyone is different.  I hope you are!

Jon

IP Logged

icculus
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Pittsburgh
Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:32pm

i fly a lot for work, and carry injections and nasal spray.  sometimes hit, sometimes not?

but i would also recommend to carry your meds everywhere you can.  i havent rode that beast w/out meds in years, and dont want to again.

...and dont booze it up...
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2008 at 4:33pm by icculus »  

IP Logged

Sophia
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #16 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 1:56pm

I am going to fly soon too. I am really glad you asked this question as it helped me with some of my questions as well. I still am not allowed anything but O2 because my doc wants to see how bad this is going to get and if it will do anything new. I will chug coffee during the flight. Hugs and hope you have a pain free flight and all.
Sophia

IP Logged

cyberone
CH.com Junior

melbourne, AUST
Reply #17 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 7:25am

well after almost sh@ting my pants over all this...the flight went really well..lol

i had headaches the day before and one day after i landed...
then they came on strong for about 4 days and now they have dropped of to just the annoying stage..
was nearly at the end or a 2-3 month period anyway...hehe

feels great to be back home...
my sister was shocked the first time she saw me with a full blown headache...ive been away from home for almost 6 years..i always feel sad for all our family and friends...thx guys

got an appointment with the neuro on the tenth...will let yas know how it goees..

thanks for all the replies...you guys and gals really helped me out again.

cyb

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #18 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 8:08am

Cyb,
I'm glad that the flight went well. Smiley

Sanna

IP Logged

cyberone
CH.com Junior

melbourne, AUST
Reply #19 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:18am

well i can safely say that now i am kicking back and swigging a beer at my sisters house...
whoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

when i first came back i got hit really bad....after the flight.....but then it panned out as it should have in time.....man 3 months.....fu.k that sh.t...

so now the good news...
i got into one of the best schools in computer animation in australia to do my masters...

and also i have been in touch with a great neuro doc dude...he was so good after all the communication problems that i had in japan....and this guys best friend had clusters for many years....so i get the feeling that he has the understanding that i was craving for the last three years....

so now into my masters.....
got ten....yes ten!!! assignments today....damn....
if ht beast can hold out for the rest of the year so i can finish the reading/research part of my thesis i will be very happy....

love to all.

sweet dreams to all.
cyb

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #20 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 3:01pm

Thanks for the positive update!  Great news!  Congrats on all fronts!

Now go kick ass on those assignments  Cool

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

NovellRed
CH.com Junior

x0|San Diego|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #21 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 12:34am

Flying is a trigger for me. I think it is the poor air quality. I try to sit as far forward in the cabin as I can. I have been told that the air quality is better forward than in the back.
I have a medic alert bracelet that says O2 15 LPM. When I get hit hard I get a flight attendant's attention, point at my bracelet and I am on oxygen in about 1 minute. Their biggest fear is doing something that will get them in trouble. When they read the bracelet they figure they can't get in trouble for following Medic Alert instructions. They give me the O2 right away and ask questions later.
I realize it doesn't work for everyone, but for me O2 is magic.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!