Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insurance denies increase of monthly Imitrex pills (Read 7469 times)
Russ
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Insurance denies increase of monthly Imitrex pills
Jun 2nd, 2008 at 4:25pm

I'm probably lucky in that my cluster cycles occure only for a month and with about 3 years between each cycle.

My insurance only covers 27 pills/month, which I can go through in about a week!  

BC/BS has denied my request for more pills despite my drs. approval - they want me on a preventive med which I don't want.

I'm thinking of legal action - has anyone encountered similar issues with Insurance overridding physician's orders???

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Re: Insurance denies increase of monthly Imitrex pills
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 4:40pm

I hate to tell you, but it doesn't matter what you want. 27 doses in one month is far more generous than most insurance companies. Besides, hasn't your doc told you you're only supposed to take two of those in a 24-hour period.

Why all the resistance to a preventative? Daily ingestion of twice the recommended dosage of sumatriptan is far riskier.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:01pm

Please consider a preventative.      I would much rather keep the beast at bay than fight him every day.  Just a thought!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:36pm

27 doses a month is far more than I have ever heard anyone's insurance giving them.  I think the drug manufacturer specifically says do not go over 2 doses in a week.  Averaging 1 a day, every day, seems like begging for trouble.

It seems like the insurance company has been fair with you.  It is their responsibility to pay for your medical care, just like it is your responsibility to take care of yourself.  In this instance, taking care of yourself means taking action to try to prevent the headaches in the first place. 

Think if you had a different affliction, such as diabetes.  You can't refuse to take meds and then expect the insurance company to pay for ER visits and ambulance rides every other day. 

Thats just my opinion.  It seems fair.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 5:52pm

Russ,
I am surprised you and your doc are even choosing to use the pills.  For a majority us, the pills take too long for the body to metabolize to a therapeutic level for abortive measures.  Have you tried other routes such as nasal sprays or SC injections?  Triptan drugs should only be used for abortive measures.  Althought your insurance company might be practicing medicine w/o a license, they do have a good point with the need for a preventative.  But then it is really up to you on which beast you choose to fight...

As far as fighting your insurace, there is some good info on the OUCH website on how to approach them.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 6:45pm

The pills take too long to work, but if you try to get the injections, or nasal spray, your insurance will pay for even fewer doses of those.

Have you tried O2 as an abortive? It's one of the best there is, and your insurance should pay for that. That way, you won't need all the trex. Trex, in any form, can and does cause rebound headaches.

Verapamil is a first line prevent, and it works for a lot of people. And it's inexpensive.

You can appeal the decision with your insurance company, and have your doc write a letter of need, but getting on a prevent is a good choice. And get O2, it works great... much faster than the pills, and no side effects.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2008 at 9:36pm

Hmm..

PDRHealth.com lists the following dosage limits for imitrex.

"Imitrex should be taken as soon as your symptoms appear, but may be used at any time during an attack. It is available in three forms: injection, tablets, and nasal spray.

Imitrex injection is administered just below the skin with an autoinjector (self-injection device). Choose a site where the skin is thick enough to take the full length of the needle (1/4 inch). Avoid injecting Imitrex into a muscle or a vein. Your doctor should instruct you on how to use the autoinjector and how to dispose of the empty syringes. You should also read the instruction pamphlet that comes with the medication.

You can take a second injection if your headache returns; however, never take more than 2 injections within 24 hours, and be sure to wait 1 hour between doses.

Imitrex tablets should be swallowed whole, with liquid. If you have had no relief 2 hours after taking Imitrex Tablets, you may take a second dose of up to 100 milligrams, if your doctor advises it. If the headache returns, you may take additional doses at intervals of at least 2 hours. You should not take more than 300 milligrams in one day. If your headache returns after you have had an Imitrex Injection, you may take single Imitrex Tablets, at intervals of at least 2 hours, up to a maximum of 200 milligrams in a day.

Imitrex nasal spray is packaged in single-dose bottles containing either 5 or 20 milligrams of the drug. The usual dosage is a single spray in one nostril. If the headache returns, you may repeat the dose once after 2 hours. Do not take more than 40 milligrams a day."

If your insurance company sets a limit of 27 imitrex pills/month but not the pill size, I would go for the largest size 50 or 100 mg tablets and get a pill splitter. 25 mg of imitrex worked fine 8 times a day for me.  200 mg a day of the imitrex tablets is a load.  You WILL FEEL IT!

The best suggestion is oxygen therapy. 

Take care, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Gator
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 2:37pm

First off, your insurance company probably isn't denying you the right to fully fill the script.  Most likely, they are limiting the amount they will pay for.  You have the option to pay out of pocket for anything in excess of what the insurance company will authorize.  Check your policy and your insurance company's drug formulary. It should tell you what they will pay for, in what quantities and whether there are pre-authorization requirements.  There should also be a procedure outlined for you to appeal their decision.  When you submit the appeal, have your doctor write a letter of medical necessity explaining why you need in excess of what they will give you.

Here are links to an article Matt Matlock wrote for the OUCH Newsletter back in June 2007 about getting around insurance limitations.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Secondly, Oxygen should at least be tried as a first line abortive before depending on triptans.  It is cheaper, has fewer side effects and can be used more often than any of the other abortive medications without the risks.  Used properly, it can abort an attack as quickly as the triptans for some people.

IP Logged

Russ
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:14pm

Well, I use the 50mg pills, and for that I can have up to 200mg/day, which has not been a problem.

And, like I said, I'm grateful that my cycles are not long and the Imitrex has always helped because I carry them with me when I'm in a cycle and take them the moment I feel one coming on.

I do not like taking any meds unless I have to, and taking something everyday for the rest of my life is not an alternative.  It's a blanket approach, not an individualistic approach.  Plus, I'm pretty sure those alternatives have risks to my liver, kidneys, heart, lung and just about every other major organ.

I do appreaciate ALL the advice though! Esp. the info on OUCH!

IP Logged

Brew
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:35pm

Russ wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:14pm:
I do not like taking any meds unless I have to, and taking something everyday for the rest of my life is not an alternative.  It's a blanket approach, not an individualistic approach.

This is like saying, "I don't want to use my gun unless I have to, but these intruders come into my house every day, multiple times per day, for a month at a time. But I'm not going to put locks on my doors because of the risk to my doorframes, not to mention the risk I take injuring myself when I install them. I will shoot each and every intruder as they enter my home."

Russ, you don't need to take preventative drugs every day for the rest of your life, especially when your cycles only last a month. You just take them leading into your cycle and maintain them for the duration of the cycle itself. In my humble opinion, the side effects and long-term risk of preventatives are far less than swallowing triptans multiple times per day for a month.

Your mileage may vary. Have a nice day.

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:29pm

Preventative!!!

It will seriously reduce your pain level and like Brew said, if your episodic, you only take it while in cycle.

Also, Imitrex pills are for migraines - they take too long for CH.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 11:30pm

What about O2? I try that before Imitrex.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 2:10am

Russ wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008 at 3:14pm:
I do not like taking any meds unless I have to, and taking something everyday for the rest of my life is not an alternative.  It's a blanket approach, not an individualistic approach.  Plus, I'm pretty sure those alternatives have risks to my liver, kidneys, heart, lung and just about every other major organ.

Russ, I can appreciate your thinking on not wanting to take meds. However, having CH forces us to really consider that way of thinking.

Your cycles are very short and you have a pretty lengthy time between them, and taking a prevent for about 6 weeks, and an abortive for the time you are in cycle is probably not enough to harm your internal organs. It's your choice to deal with this horrific pain med-free, but as you know, it's not easy. The meds we take to stop this pain are necessary for most of us, we couldn't deal with it without them.

I'm curious, how long does it take for a hit to come on? I've taken trex in pill form for migraine, and it takes at least 30 minutes to kick in. If I tried that for CH, I'd be banging my head on the nearest hard object within 5 minutes. CH comes on so fast, I don't see how the pills can help. Could it be that your hits have a short life too?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!