Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Arsenal is lined up... got an 02 ?... (Read 2164 times)
NazTee
CH.com Newbie

x0|Palmetto/Bradenton|USA||0|0|FL,Florida
Arsenal is lined up... got an 02 ?...
Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:08pm

... I think I've got my arsenal all loaded for my coming cycle....

Angry History 
I've been episodic for the past 10 yrs with my cycles coming exactly 2 1/2 yrs apart.  Each cycle has increased in intensity so that my last cycle lasted about 6 wks, with attacks every 2-3 hrs, lasting for as long as I could before I took a 1/2 stat shot of Imitrex.

Cheesy Game Plan
I've resolved to the fact it IS gonna happen since I've been suffering some pretty intense shadows the past week and they are increasing each day - and damn it all, I'll be prepared this time:

#1 - Imitrex Stat dose Rx is filled - gonna try just 1/3 of a vile this time.
($205 a box... holy crap  Cry ) and a few boxes stock piled from last cycle (took prior tip and continued to fill the script for as long as I could)  My insurance will support 6 boxes a month but I'm working on getting samples and hope to override the quantity limit.

#2 - Verapamil - 120 mg 1x daily (which I started this evening)
(Neuro wants to try it again even though it didn't work during my first cycle  Undecided )

#3 - Oxygen -First round for this
========================

Wink Now finally for the 02 question..... if I'm suffering from shadows now that are tolerable, coming every 1-2 hrs, probably a 5-6 after dealing with them all day......

1.  Is it okay to use the 02 for them?  Or will it reduce its effectiveness once the full force attacks start?

2.  If so, what is the standard duration for such? Hard for me to justify excessive use when my full cycle hasn't even started yet.

Embarrassed Personally it just seems kinda silly to me (or weak I guess) to start using it now with 'just shadows' knowing what damage the full blown attacks will BE like.

Shocked Guess I'm so use to collecting & stock piling shots that I don't want to limit myself or reduce the results by starting too soon.  Always scared to do something that might render me helpless when the true attacks start (if that makes any sense)

~ Aimee ~

1st attack:  December 1998 - Final attack: June 2008
~ The only thing that lasts forever is regret ~

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Re: Arsenal is lined up... got an 02 ?...
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:18pm

You have the right direction for beating this bastard, you are doing all the things you need to do.

02 for shadows is fine, but, your Verapamil level will probably never even read on the scale thats needed for CH........Talk to your doc about that (Have him come here and READ!)

Ive been doing this for 34 years, it can be done!  Wink

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:54pm

Quote:
02 for shadows is fine, but, your Verapamil level will probably never even read on the scale thats needed for CH........Talk to your doc about that (Have him come here and READ!)

Jonny has put it very well.  120mg of Verapamil likely won't get it done.  I had to go up to 400mg to find my theraputic dose.

Have your Dr read this: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
[quote]Abstract:

Background.—Verapamil is currently the best available prophylactic drug for patients experiencing cluster headaches (CHs). Published papers usually state 240 to 480 mg taken in three divided doses give good results, ranging from 50% to 80%; others mention higher doses—720, even 1200 mg per day. In clinical practice we found we needed to adapt dosage to individual's time of attacks, in particular giving higher doses before going to bed to suppress severe nocturnal episodes. A few only required 120 mg daily. We therefore evolved a scheme for steady and progressive drug increase until satisfactory control had been achieved.

Objective.—To find the minimum dose of verapamil required to prevent episodic and chronic cluster headaches by supervising each individual and adjusting the dosage accordingly.

Methods.—Consecutive patients with episodic or chronic CH (satisfying International Headache Society (IHS) criteria) were started on verapamil 40 mg in the morning, 80 mg early afternoon, and 80 mg before going to bed. Patients kept a diary of all attacks, recording times of onset, duration, and severity. They were advised, verbally and in writing, to add 40 mg verapamil on alternate days, depending on their attack timing: with nocturnal episodes the first increase was the evening dose and next the afternoon one; when attacks occurred on or soon after waking, we advised setting an alarm clock 2 hours before the usual waking time and then taking the medication.

Patients were followed-up at weekly intervals until attacks were controlled. They were also reviewed when a cluster period had ended, and advised to continue on the same dose for a further 2 weeks before starting systematic reduction.

Chronic cluster patients were reviewed as often as necessary.

Results.—Seventy consecutive patients, 52 with episodic CH during cluster periods and 18 with chronic CH, were all treated with verapamil as above. Complete relief from headaches was obtained in 49 (94%) of 52 with episodic, and 10 (55%) of 18 with chronic CH; the majority needed 200 to 480 mg, but 9 in the episodic, and 3 in the chronic group, needed 520 to 960 mg for control. Ten, 2 in the episodic and 8 in the chronic group, with incomplete relief, required additional therapy—lithium, sumatriptan, or sodium valproate. One patient withdrew because verapamil made her too tired, another developed Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and the drug was withdrawn.

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 9:58pm

Conclusions.—Providing the dosage for each individual is adequate, preventing CH with verapamil is highly effective, taken three (occasionally with higher doses, four) times a day. In the majority (94%) with episodic CH steady dose increase under supervision, totally suppressed attacks. However in the chronic variety only 55% were completely relieved, 69% men, but only 20% women. In both groups, for those with partial attack suppression, additional prophylactic drugs or acute treatment was necessary.

There... Wouldn't fit in a single post...

So you are headed in the right direction.  Well done!

Now go kick his ass!

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 10:23pm

I used to save my O2 for a "real hit" until my neuro asked my why and reminded me that if I can stop it before it really gets going I might miss the hit altogether. Made sense to me. I pay Apria  $6.02 a month co-pay whether I use the O2 or not - so why not use it??

Have you tried energy drinks for shadows? Anything with caffiene and Taurine? I consider them part of my arsenal.

Good luck fighting the beast. We are all behind you!!!!!!!!!!

~Kris

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 10:32pm

Sounds like you have a great plan!

If O2 works, use it whenever you feel anything remotely like a cluster coming down the pike. Having a good O2 rig and not using it would be kindd of like "saving it for marriage"......

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!