Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How long is your remission time?  Please reply (Read 10780 times)
Scott M
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

How long is your remission time?  Please reply
Jun 5th, 2008 at 4:49am

I know this varies for everyone, and this is of course a question related to episodic sufferers, but how long is your remission time?  and the other question - do people know of other CH sufferers who went into remission and never had another cycle again?

seems like a lot of experiences I've read about have their cycles like clockwork, every year at the same time or every so many months or whatever.  I've had 4 cycles in 7 years, first one January 2001, second one december 2003, little foggy about when my 3rd one was but I think winter 2005, and then now May 2008.  so I haven't really found any pattern to mine, but I'm in my 6th week of this one which is longer than any of the others by at least 2 weeks.  so ready to go into remission forever!!!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: How long is your remission time?  Please reply
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 7:31am

My cycles are like clock work now.  3 months on and 3 months off.  Though they didn't used to be.  For a long time it was pretty random and the cycles were much shorter.

My Father suffered too.  His attacks just went away one day when he was around 45.  They never came back.

I'm 47 now and still hoping...

Hange tough Scott...

-Dennis-
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2008 at 7:47am by DennisM1045 »  

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 7:59am

Mine used to be consistent 4-6 weeks on, 5 months off for two cycles a year. Not so much now. It's presently more like 1.5 cycles a year with longer cycles. Also dealing with an abnormally long cycle this spring/summer (and tired of it).

My dad's also just stopped one day, for over 7 years, until he got a shot of nuelasta (sp?) during chemotherapy to help counter some affects from the chemo on his blood.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 8:56am

In the nineties I had them all over the place, but since late 2000 they come every two to two and a half years.
Currently in cycle now for almost a month, but the last episode I had before this one was from the last week of september 2005 into the first week of december 2005. To be honest, I had almost forgotten the Beast and I were acquianted.... that is, untill May this year. It was back with a vengeance.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:06am

Right around every 18 months and last about 6-8 weeks.  The only time the cycle goes longer is if I use verapamil. 

My grandmother had CH and hers just up and went away also.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:16am

For twenty years, I cycled twice a year--late May to the beginning of July, and then again late October to the beginning of December. 

Then I cycled once a year for ten years--almost always during the period of May/July.

Then I began to have three years between:  2000, 2003, 2006--all cycles in the May/July period.  I've now been in remission for two years.

My episodic cycles are like a clock all right, but they seem to be behaving like a clock that is slowing down.  They certainly come along less often these days, but when they do, they're just about the same in intensity and duration.

YMMV.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Drew_Va
CH.com Junior

x1|Louisa|USA|usa|470|156|VA,Virginia
Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 11:29am

26 years every other April/May/June with two deviations of October instead of Spring. Duration normally 4-6 weeks.
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2008 at 8:45am by Drew_Va »  

Endeavor to persevere

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 11:56am

Hi.  Mine were 3 months long every year in the fall for many years--over a decade.  Then my cycles switched to summer and with that change past 2 cycles was a 2 summer break in between!  My last cycle itself was longest yet though--pushing 5 mos long.  But I will take the break in between--to me that is way better!

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 12:17pm

I'm trying to figure out what the devil has planned for me.

After all, I thought that I'm in cycle in the fall - my first, second and third were in the fall. Just that the third one went on and on and on I became chronic. Then the beast left and came back in the Spring and now Spring it is.

My cycles have lasted 3 - 6 months, my longest remission was nearly a year.

This year, the beast arrived in April and I have no idea how long it will stay. Undecided

Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 2:01pm

started 13 years ago- have had three cycles total - approximately 4-5 years in between each cycle-  cycles in the past lasted 2 weeks - killed the cycles with a medrol pack.   The cycle- 12 weeks total.  Always around spring daylight savings time-

IP Logged

habanero
CH.com Newbie

Is it like migraine?

x0|Vantaa|Finland||0|0|
Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 2:15pm

in the 90's i had 3 major painperiods till got diagnosed by a public healthcare doctor.
pain lasted about 90min and was bad.
first ever started 4 pm after work.
rest of them 10-11pm (or when calming down for the night)
periods 6 weeks long, early summer or mid winter.
after 2000 they have come every other year april-may.
still 6 weeks and pain bad.
imigran nasally works every other time.
sometimes it takes a minute to kick in and sometimes an hour.
this year it's been different.
5 weeks now, but only like 8 or so semi-big ones.
shadowing for hours sometimes days.
my skull feels like it's infected most of the time after attacks for a long time.
i have a very stresfull situation going on in my life anyway so maybe it helps.
shadows usually start when i rest

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 6:16pm

For the first 20 years I had a cycle every 8-9 months which lasted 4-6 weeks.

At 40 y/o it jumped to a 2 year remission.  Since then each remission has gotten about 3 months longer with my last one being 3 yr 3mo long.  Problem is the cycle is now longer also.  Last one hung on for 5 months.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 8:04pm

I'm like Bob, first 20 years you could set the atomic clock by my cycles...on 3 months, off 3 months. Hit my 40's and the cycle went all over the board. My last cycle went 8  months after an almost 2 year remission

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

debOUCH
CH.com Old Timer

..&^%*%$(*&^&^%..

x0|Holbrook|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #13 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 8:35pm

i am soooooo confused..............been in my  first cycle since jan 30.............i am 50.......(my dad gets them once a yr for 1 mth in spring and started at my age, but could function with them, where i cudnt!!)........keep tryin to go off meds, and HE starts to visit, so i go back on..........over 4 mths......................the med i am on is keeping HIM @ bay, tho no one here seems to use.....also, i can have my wine, with no effects, and b4 this med, alcohol was major trigger, didnt drink for 2.5 mths............................so dont know..............................guess i will just keep living life!!! it may just want to stay and live with me for ever!!!lmao

Deb Piscitelli Powers winelova50  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #14 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:10pm

George wrote on Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:16am:
Then I began to have three years between:  2000, 2003, 2006--all cycles in the May/July period.  I've now been in remission for two years. 

I'm not sure I could describe CLASS in words, BUT, I know it when I see it. It's all over this board, from lots of folks, and is appreciated more than I can say.

What's the saying?... "grab an oar and start rowing" or is it " give better than you get" or is it " there is no better med than a supporter" or is it " if you're not in pain now, you might be later, stick around".

Don't know, they all work for me. What I do know is that in the dictionary, under "class", there is a picture of the man above (maybe a bird or two also), AND, that REALLY works for me.

Thanks George! I mean, c'mon, TWO years remission and still here, every day!!!!

Regards,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #15 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 10:15pm

My longest remission was four years (ended this past September) Before that I was 2 months on, two months off.
Since Sept, I was 2 months on, 4 months off, and I recently had one that lasted two months.

~Kris

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

artscribe
CH.com Newbie

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #16 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 11:33pm

I've had CH since I was 13-years-old. For many years, the cycles were like clockwork: they came in April and May, and they lasted for about 4-6 weeks. About 8 years ago they started jumping around -- I still had a cycle every year, but they were more difficult to predict. Remission times vary from 8 or 9 months to 18 or so months. My last remission has been 19 months -- I started a new cycle last week. ugh.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 4:12am

28 years with the beast.  First 20 were episodic.  I once went 5 YEARS without them!  Silly me, I thought I was done with them!

Last 8 years chronic.

I was told as I get older, they get milder or less often.  NOPE!  Broke THAT rule!

Was told once I hit 50, they would go away.  NOPE!  Broke THAT rule! (I am almost 60 now ... )

Was told that they are always on one side of the head, but can sometimes switch to always on the other side.  NOPE!  Broke that rule!  (I never know which side I am going to get hit on.  The fun ones are when I get hit on both sides at the same time!)

My neuro yells at me all the time for breaking the written down rules that clusters MUST follow!  She tells me she has never seen anyone break as many cluster rules as I have!  LOL.  Then we laugh over it.

I guess what I am saying is, there ARE NO rules that follow all of us.  Even our own personal cluster rules get broken fairly often.  But I must say, it is interesting to see all the variants!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 7:24am

Approx 18 months of PF followed by 4-6 weeks of hell for me!

Dave

Lawmandave  
IP Logged

KatzPurr
CH.com Junior

10+ OUCH!

x0|Fredericksburg|USA||0|0|VA,Virginia
Reply #19 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 11:38am

I honestly don't think there are any hard and fast rules with clusterheads. Most people, myself included, have not found any pattern that remains consistent over the long haul.

I've had ch since I was 12, so my experience has spanned over 30 years. In the first 20 or so years, they occurred about once a year, but not always at the same time. The last 3 cycles have been followed by a remission period of about 3 years give or take. The main difference with my last cycle is that it began in the winter and started very slowly lasting a total of several months. The peak was probably one of the worst I can remember, but O2 was my saviour.

This beast knows no bounds and does not fit any norm. Just when you think you have it figured out, the monster throws you for another loop. It's just the way it is and we all learn to adjust somehow and continue living life.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register&&&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register &&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW 16090505 KatzPurr2  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #20 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:31am

my cycles are usually 2 to 5 years apart. they hit any time of the year and any time of day. as most of us do i get hit hard when i try to sleep.

IP Logged

Chappy
CH.com Veteran

__

Tucson, AZ
Reply #21 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:41am

Remission time?  I'll let you know when I have one...

Like everyone said, the beast morphs, so you're not likely to find a pattern in your cycles, and if you do it will go away.  Maybe cluster headaches are quantum in nature - you can't observe a pattern without changing it.

All of the "medical texts" say that they're most common in spring and fall, and from all of the posts I've read that seems to hold true.  Likely due to changing pressure or maybe humidity with the seasons, supposedly.  Of course, medical texts and articles like to make these statistical majorities sound like absolutes, for which there are none in CH land.  Here in Tucson we only have 2 seasons: hot as hell and not so hot.

Godwin's Law: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."&&Skitt's Law - "Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself."

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 11:58am

Usually nine months, last time it was two years though.

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

StressFree
CH.com Veteran

James4:8 I'm a moral failure,
but there is hope...

Ridgecrest, California
Reply #23 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 7:20pm

Hi Scott,

I was chronic as a teenager. Verapamil and cafergot got me to episodic. Episodic since about 20 years old, now 41. Longer remission every time. About 6 weeks of extreme attacks when in a cycle (I know, is there any other kind?). Up to 6 years since last cycle. Praying for no more! and the same for you all. Blessings for you, Rich

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #24 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 9:44pm

For me, always in the spring and fall. (That's why I thought it was sinus). Still think that plays a role although my doc disagrees. I have them twice a year for 14 yrs. Did have one "period" of remission for 2 years. Certain overwhelming smells can set mine off. Lips Sealed

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!