Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How long is your remission time?  Please reply (Read 10778 times)
monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Re: How long is your remission time?  Please reply
Reply #25 - Jun 23rd, 2008 at 10:38pm

Used to be once a year for about 6 weeks. Been in 'remission' going on 5 years. Still get shadows, sleep disturbances and other symptoms like I am in cycle, but no dancing with the devil.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #26 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 1:03am

I was chronic the first two years. Remission lasts 1 1/2 to 2 years. with only one lasting 2.5 years in 20 years of CH.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

We all need to relax sometimes,
somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Reply #27 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 4:44pm

Have always started a cycle in April. Usually last about three months with a three year break but this time had only a two year break.

Melvyn

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #28 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 5:00am

hi

mine abate for almost a year to the day from when they start, but they last for 2-3 months during a cycle.

my mom had them episodically, but they suddenly
stopped a few years back.

IP Logged

LetItSnow
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Peekskill|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Reply #29 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 11:24pm

I find that I know my cycle is coming on because I drink alcohol- at first I just didn't drink, but after 13 years, one cycle the beast hit me in the middle of the day- no drinking- after seeing a neuro, I was on verapamil 180mg- been fine for 2 1/2 years, then one night, had a beer, it was back- mild at first, but over the next 4 days got worse- neuro upped verapamil to 360, I took imitrex (thank GOD!) when I was using imitrex too much, neuro put me on O2- but that was at the end of the cycle, don't know how it affected CH, but helped with shadows- moral of all of this?  I think I have cycles mid summer & mid winter, but drugs have prevented the KIP 3+ from visiting- except that one time in 3 years on verap.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Re: How long is your remission time?  Please repl
Reply #30 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 8:19pm

My first cycle was in May, 2000. I had 3 more cycles, with breaks of about 16 months between. Last cycle started April, 2004, and hasn't stopped.

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2008 at 8:19pm by purpleydog »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #31 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:50pm

I was episodic, would start every spring when the temp took a dramatic change.  Then one year the cycle took over 16 months.  Then, out of cycle since.  I am really concerned that they will return soon because shadows seem to pop up more often recently.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #32 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 4:07pm

I have had these for 13 years. My shortest remission was 6 months.  6 years ago I started a 2 year remission.  Then I started a 4 year remission followed my my longest sycle ever (5 months).  I am now pain free for 3 months but shadow every day.  I believe the beast may now be in a chronic form being swatted away with a little help from a friend named RC.

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #33 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 10:25pm

My cycles have always started late April, early June.  Some years are full-blown.  Some years (like this one - whoopee!) are just a collection of brief 1's and 2's.  Doc says that's just the way it is.

I'll sometimes get a brief batch of shadows at other times, but no big deal.

Jon

IP Logged

Wendy
CH.com Newbie

Redondo Beach, CA
Reply #34 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:36pm

Hi!  This is my first post on the board, even though I've been lurking around for the last week.  I've been having CH for 15 years.  The first 7-8 years they were all over the place.  But since then they have been every year in Oct.  Every year the cycle get's longer.  However, there have been two times that I was in remission for 1 1/2 years.  Both times I got a cycle in June/July.  The first one we (my neuro and I) figured out that I had caused them by stressing over promotions.

I have now been in this cycle for 9 days and they are progressively getting worse.  I have them every day, at first it was between 2-3am and now they are between 7-9pm.  Already had one tonight, so hopefully that's the only one for the night.  I'm thankful they don't happen at work, but they still leave me feeling drained.

I'm also thankful I found this board.  I never knew there was so many people out there like me.

Wendy

whyjay95  
IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #35 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:58pm

Hey Wendy, welcome to the site.  Sorry you had to come looking.  But you will find a lot of good folks here.  They have helped me out a lot.  Besides the CH, we share a lot of the frustrations in dealing with it.  When you have a good evening, start a new thread and let us know a little bit about your experiences or questions.  Until then, browse and read.

I hope your hits are mild and your cycle short.

Jon

IP Logged

geosailor
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #36 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 10:29pm

When I first got them about 30 years ago I was in my early 30's and they came at first in the summer and lasted for several weeks.They would usualy come back every year up until my late fifties.

I'm now 62 and my last one was 3-4 years ago. But the beast is back (not as strong as b4) and I'm in my 3rd week of ch. They seemed to have been triggered by the lingering storms we are having this summer coupled with some red wine I drank.

IP Logged

ksan32
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #37 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 12:49am

I was in remission (3 Yrs) until I was in a car accident and I been having them 4-6 times a day ever since. It was never this bad!! They only came at night and on my right side. Now they are during the night and the day on left and right. I have been having them since 20 I am now 37. Could the accident have triggered something?

Undecided

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #38 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 1:46am

Was told that they are always on one side of the head, but can sometimes switch to always on the other side.  NOPE!  Broke that rule!  (I never know which side I am going to get hit on.  The fun ones are when I get hit on both sides at the same time!)

Chuck[/size] [/quote]

Holy cow Chuck!
That was always a nightmare scenario I told friends: ''Luckily those headaches never happen at both sides to people,'' thinking at least THAT was a positive thing about CH. Boy in a bubble, was I wrong about that one. You must be one tough son of a gun, Chuck (this is a compliment btw lol).
I'll be honest on this one, Chuck: I'd rather give birth rectally to an adult African elephant and a peckish polar bear at the same time and suffer the haemerroid crater afterwards, than ever being hit all over my head! Must be hell.

Here's hoping for you they don't visit a lot!

Greetings.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #39 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 2:37am

maalstroom wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 1:46am:
You must be one tough son of a gun

Nope, I am just a clusterhead.  No different than all the rest of us tough sons of guns!

maalstroom wrote on Jul 21st, 2008 at 1:46am:
Here's hoping for you they don't visit a lot!

Well the double sided hits are fairly rare.  About one or two a month.   As far as the "regular" hits, during low cycle, like now, I get hit, oh, 6 to 10 times a day.  Any day with less than 5 hits, I consider a pain free day.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Sandra von der Laage
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 4:32am

Chuckie, I would love to have you for a grandpa!
Love, Sandra Smiley

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #41 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 8:52am

DennisM1045 wrote on Jun 5th, 2008 at 7:31am:
My cycles are like clock work now.  3 months on and 3 months off.  Though they didn't used to be.  For a long time it was pretty random and the cycles were much shorter.

My Father suffered too.  His attacks just went away one day when he was around 45.  They never came back.

I'm 47 now and still hoping...

Hange tough Scott...

-Dennis-

Here's an update.  That ever morphing beast only gave me 8 weeks off this time.  Mid May to Mid July.  Hope I'm not trending towards chronic.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #42 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 9:19am

My last cycle was in Dec. of 2005.  Before that it was July of 2003.  Before that was Sept. 2000 (when I found this place).  Before that it's been sketchy, but I was getting them about every 18 mon. (each one lasts about 40 days) since I was 16 yrs old (back in 1990).  They spaced themselves out a bit due to pregnancies so it'll be interesting to see what they do now that I can no longer have babies.  

If they do come back, which I'm counting on, I hope they at least have some predictablility.  I hate surprises!

Smileymel

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2008 at 4:22pm by Melissa »  

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #43 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 12:31pm

I've read all these posts and I must admit I'm amazed. At the variety, the coping mechanisms, the courage, the good humor. We all need huge doses of the last three.

Welcome to the new people, this is a great place. Nice to see another LA area person, Wendy, and glad you've found a good local neurologist! Let me know if there's any way I can help.

As a few have written, I too thought I was finished with this madness. Didn't have anything other than the odd and mild enough one-off headache that a couple of Excedrin took care of quite easily for more than 4 years, until my most recent full-on cycle hit on May 7th. So I guess there truly are no rules.

What fun now to see if I start up once again with the seasonal cycles. Oh joy. Oh happiness.

David

IP Logged

Sandy_C
CH.com Sponsor

There is no such thing
as a stupid question.

Jamestown, NC
Reply #44 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 4:18pm

I'm episodic, and have cycles starting at any time of the year, spring, summer, winter and fall.  No set pattern.

Cycles last anywhere from 8 weeks to 16 weeks, but I have lovely PF time for 18 to 24 months!.  Thank you God.

I am now PF for over 2 years.

So, as Chuck and others have said, there is no set rule as to how often, how long, or how much PF time.

The key to living which this affliction is to learn to live for those PF seconds, minutes, days, months, years.  In other words, when you are PF live life to the fullest.  When you are in cycle, live for those PF moments. 

Nobody says it's easy to live for those PF minutes, but if you focus on and worry about when that next hit will occur, you have no life.  The hit will hit when it hits.  Live your life between them.

Sandy

Lean on me, when you're not strong, cause we all need somebody to lean on.

IP Logged

Chonas
CH.com Junior

Can I buy you a drink?

x1|Buenos Aires|Argentina|south_america|278|305|
Reply #45 - Jul 21st, 2008 at 7:09pm

My cycles always started at any time of every year and may last from 8 weeks to 16 weeks.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2008 at 7:11pm by Chonas »  

Here we go again...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!