Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to the forum! Need some support/help (Read 2090 times)
sosomatt1123
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New to the forum! Need some support/help
Jun 9th, 2008 at 12:05am

The past 2 weeks have been the worst ever!!!  I recently started having extremely painful cluster headaches.  Some days I get a few that are extremely severe and they last long too.  I honestly have no idea what to do.  The pain is SO INTENSE! It is always in the same spot, which is the corner of my left eye and the back of my head.  I noticed my eye is droopy when i have a cluster headache.  My sinus open up and then the pain starts.  Its woken me from a deep sleep many of times!  I really don't know what to do.  When I get them, I cant work and I feel like I cant function! I had a bad episode that i think was set off by one alcoholic  drink, that actually made me throw up and it lasted through the night till the morning.  The doctor put me on rel pax and fioricet.  The rel pax makes me extremely nauseous so  they switched me to immatrex nose spray.  Sorry for the rant but im at the point now that i don't know what to do!  What causes these?  How long do they typically last for?  Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: New to the forum! Need some support/help
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:24am

Welcome.

I haven't forgotten what it's like to be new to these.  The pain is not only extremely intense--it's frightening.  It really is unlike anything else, not only in its magnitude, but in the way it "feels".

I know how difficult it is, but approaching the thing calmly is the best way.  Try not to get upset.  It won't kill you, and it more than likely won't do you any permanent harm.  It just is.

If you are episodic (and chances are that you are--somewhere around 90 percent of us are episodics) it will eventually go away.

Unfortunately, there is no "typical" time period for episodic CH.  Perhaps it will last a couple of weeks.  Could be 6-10 weeks.  Could be longer.  The best advice I've ever seen here is to take it one day at a time, one hit at a time.  Enjoy your painfree time, and deal with it when it comes.  Get hit, live anyway.

As far as practical approaches go, ask your doctor to look at preventives for you, as well as abortives.  (The imitrex nasal spray you're taking is an abortive--kills one headache at a time.)  Most people have discovered that imitrex injectables are more effective and faster-acting than the nasal spray.  Preventives are intended to "prevent" attacks, and are typically used in concert with abortives.  They include verapamil and lithium. 

Read the "oxygen info" in the link to your left.  Oxygen, properly administered, is an extremely effective abortive for around 70 percent of us.

Discuss the possibility of a prednisone taper with your doctor.  Prednisone is often used in conjunction with preventives, and seems to act to stop the attacks until the preventive kicks in.  It's not for extended use, however.

I'm hoping that Bob Johnson and others will weigh in with links to accepted treatment protocols for CH.

Read, read, read.  There are hundreds of years of accumulated experience with CH and with the medications used to treat it here.

And again....welcome home.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:35am

Hi Matt,
You have come to the right place.  Sorry to hear that you are in pain.  Imitrex is a popular choice of drug around here, it does well for most.  Something else you will here a lot about is Oxygen.  You will need to get a prescription from your doc.  If they don't agree, you will need to push for it.  Breathing 15 liters per minute with a non-rebreather mask can usually abort the pain in less than twenty minutes.

Until you get the O2, something that helps me is to use ice packs on the back of my neck and the affected parts of my head.  The colder the better.  I don't use a barrier which can be a little risky.

Your doctor should refer you to a neurologist so you can get a true diagnosis.  There is lots for you to read up on, the OUCH site has lots of good info (tab on the left.)  The people here are great and are going to have plenty advice for you.  Good luck with your pain and wishing you pain free days ahead.

Thomas

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:18am

Start by learning!
MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $50 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book....")

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.
========
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Dr. Robbins site. Then explore the entire site by deleting
everything following. com/ and then hit enter.
====================================================================
Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive
and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:19am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:22am

I'm a bit concerned that the pain med your doc gave is not appropriate for cluster. Wonder if he has good experience handling complex headache disorders ????

If you are not sure, ask directly about his experience and, if you believe it wise, find a new doc. This is the most critical first step.
-------------------
1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  On-line screen to find a physician.

5. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Look for "Physician Finder" search box.  Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder") which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:23am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 8:25am

At the onset of the headache grab a can of Red Bull and down it - that helps a lot of us (the caffeine and taurine) or a strong cup of coffee (or several cups).

O2 with a non rebreather mask (at 15+ liters a minute) works for "most" of us as an abortative.

Melatonin at night (12-15mg) works for a "lot" of us to help us get thru the night hits.

A good "preventative" is what it sounds like you need - you've been given the links - read up on them and talk it over with your doc.

Read Read REad... Go to the doc with information and DISCUSS these things. You are your best advocate. But you must be informed. You do the research and THEN disucss with your doc. He/she doesn't have the time to research and probably doesn't know that much about CH.

Keep us informed.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

sosomatt1123
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:45am

thank you for all of the responses!! Im going to the neurologist tomorrow, so we will see what happens.  Right after i posted i had a bad migraine!!  I tried the ice pack on the back of the neck, immatrex, and fioricet.  The pain lasted a while and i eventually fell asleep.  This morning i woke up with a soreness and it almost felt like another one was coming.  I made a big pot of coffee and it certainly helped!!  Is there any reason why we get these headaches? stress/allergies??  I feel like in the 2 weeks that ive had them, that they have changed my life!  I cherish every second that i dont have one! I PRAY THAT THEY STOP!! Im happy that there are people here that understand, help and support one another!!

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:56am

sosomatt1123 wrote on Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:45am:
Is there any reason why we get these headaches? stress/allergies??

I've not seen much convincing evidence that they have anything to do with allergic reactions.  Stress is interesting--some report that stress can trigger CH attacks, and many others report that the RELIEF of stress can trigger an onslaught.  In my personal experience, I've not noticed that stress had much to do with them either way.

The actual cause is unknown, although good evidence suggests that it may have something to do with a malformation of the hypothalamus in the brain. 

Please take a look at:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

And follow the links there.  You may find much useful information about the condition.

Again--read, read, read.

Best wishes, and hang in there,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Lawmandave
CH.com Junior

If you want peace, prepare
for war!!!

Johnstown, Pa
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 2:52am

Hang in there buddy,

I feel your pain, being in the middle of my bout myself.  Im a very strong willed person but this beast, broke me down and spit me out a couple times over!  Nonetheless, you came to the right place because the people here will do whatever they can to help, believe me.  Just reading posts here has got me through unbareable times.  Imitrex injections work for most of us, (however, you will want to conserve them the best as you can and may want to try the imitrex tip listed on the left).  Once you get used to using them, they are like gold!  Unfortanetley, most insurance companies will only cover a few per month, which is a down right joke.  What I do is, once I'm out of my cycle, I continue to refill my Imitrex Injections prescription every month whether I need them or not, kind of like preparing ammo for a war you dont want to fight but stock up just in case.  Also, try coffee, red bull and/or oxygen when you can!!!
    Hang in there and good luck!!!

Lawman
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2008 at 2:55am by Lawmandave »  
Lawmandave  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!