Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blood Pressure medicine and CH (Read 1548 times)
Salty7c
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Blood Pressure medicine and CH
Jun 12th, 2008 at 8:35pm

I am now 67 and have had marginally high blood pressure all my life.  About 13 years ago I started on various Blood pressure meds.  Shortly thereafter I started Episodic Cluster Headaches.  When in Episode I now seem to get a CH about 2 hours after taking meds maybe no connection because not always.  Presently on Atenolol (beta blocker) Norvasc (Calcium blocker) and Benicar.
Does anyone have experience of any of them either being a trigger or help in diminishing Headaches

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Re: Blood Pressure medicine and CH
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2008 at 10:06pm

I take Atenolol for hypertension (50 mg a day). I was diagnosed after I started having CH (a couple of years after) I was in the ER one night during a hit and the Dr told me that if I didn't start on blood pressure meds right away I'd drop dead of a heart attack or stroke. I always blamed the CH for the hypertension. At the time I just turned 30 I was very thin and a runner (no reason to have high blood pressure). Anyway, after starting the Atenolol, I had a four year remission from CH. When I stopped taking the Atenolol cause I thought maybe I didn't need it anymore (which was stupid and I was wrong) the CH came back. I don't know if there is a connection.

I'm still taking Atenolol and it does not cause hits for me.

~Kris

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Blood Pressure medicine and CH
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 9:54pm

Years ago I was perscribed beta blockers and calcium channel blockers as a clusterheadache treatment. Didn't work.
Hang tough there whippersnapper.
all the best
thebb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!