Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Obligatory new guy post (Read 4226 times)
Morse
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Obligatory new guy post
Jun 13th, 2008 at 9:15am

Hey, everyone--

I'm a 26 year old CH sufferer from So Cal. I just registered on the boards and wanted to introduce myself. So far, this site has been invaluable to in terms of not just information, but also a place where I can direct my wife to give her an idea of what it feels like when I get another headache. For a while, I was sure that I was alone with these headaches. Then, after some research, I started hearing the term 'Suicide Headache' and I instantly knew that I had found the name of my demon.

I'm going through a series of ch's right now and the last couple of nights have been doozies. In about a week I will be going up north for training for a job for 2-weeks. Being away from my wife and son is scary enough, but knowing that I will be bunking with a stranger roommate terrifies me even more. What am I going to do when the Beast comes knocking and the only one around is a complete stranger who will probably think I'm being eaten alive from the inside out?

Anyway, enough about me. I look forward to getting to know all of you and learning how others cope with this BS is a CH.

73's

Peter

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Obligatory new guy post
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 9:48am

Good morning, Peter.  Welcome to Ch.com.

Thanks for stopping by and posting the obligatory introduction post--it gives us a chance to learn a little bit about someone who's just arrived, and maybe give a few quick answers to questions.  A lot of us monitor this area regularly.

'Course, some might say it provides an opportunity to give you a good sniffing-over to see if you smell right. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Wink  Just kidding.

Sorry to hear that you're getting blasted right now.  Sounds as if you're in "high cycle", with headaches at their peak.  If you are episodic, it's possible that the situation may change dramatically by two weeks from now, and it may not be an issue. 

If it is, a couple of questions:  What kinds of medications are you using?  Do you have an effective abortive medication such as imitrex injectables?  If so, it probably won't be a big deal--just hide in the can for a few minutes and wait for the thing to subside.  Bringing in an oxygen tank will probably require a little explanation, however.

In fact, if you're still getting hit regularly, it might be a good idea to give your erstwhile roommate a brief description and warning, so he doesn't freak and call the paramedics.  Not only anxiety-producing for the roommate, but word gets around at these sleep-over training seminars, and who needs a rep as a strange guy who gets weird attacks in the middle of the night that make him scream and roll on the floor?

In any event, chances are that your roommate will actually be far stranger than you are--perhaps he will sleep with a blankie and a binkie, or maybe he cannot nod off without singing a weird little song to himself, or maybe he will have a habit of clearing his sinuses by going "Phnew.....Phnew...." repeatedly, like Jack Lemmon in "The Odd Couple". 

Man, I hate those sleepover training sessions with an enforced roommate.  And two weeks....erk.  After two weeks, almost anyone begins to metaphorically stink. 

Good luck to you.

Best wishes,

George

(Edited because I can't spell on one cup of coffee.)
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2008 at 9:51am by George »  

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 9:51am

Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 10:58am

Knowledge blocks fear.

Tell your unknown roommate what might happen; what he might see; what he does NOT need to do; AND, finally, that you will be alive at breakfast!

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Paige_H.
CH.com Junior

What the hell?

x0|Princeton|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 11:24am

It is terribly scary to be around strangers when you have CH.  Especially when you have to be in the same room at night with them and you know how the hits are. But don't worry - he will just think you are dying and it will be fine.  Take some stuff with you, like the Red Bull and all of that junk.  Good luck!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 12:14pm

Welcome to the board, danged glad you found us. Now like Dennis said, we start getting really really nosey. Please give us a run down of what meds you've tried, what has and has not worked. The strength of this board is it's collective "real life" knowledge. Maybe you'll drop a new pearl on us, maybe we can make some suggestions to your routine. I'm a San Diego boy myself, looking forward to getting to know you!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 8:11pm

Obligatory Welcome - from a fellow southern Californian   Wink

Have you been diagnosed with CH? If not, I hope you can see a neurologist before your business trip. Then you can get some Prednisone and your roommate will just think you have a big appetite.

~Kris

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 7:17am

Hi.

Just wanted to say welcome, and wishing some painfree nights ahead soon for you. I really do not have any advice to add as all the great folks here can do that much better than me. Just hang in and try to remember you are NOT alone.

Best regards, Maalstroom.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Ted L.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 3:29pm

Howdy from Texas Peter! Im a newbie as well, so I dont know if Im qualified to give you the obligatory welcome, but I know it feels like home here. Dont have any advce cause Im learnin too. All I can say is read every thing you can on this site. Its obvious the folks here have more knowledge about the beast than a thousand docs.

IP Logged

mummymac
CH.com Alumnus

Kissed Donny Osmond and
proud of it

Jersey|United_Kingdom|europe
Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 4:15pm

Ted L. wrote on Jun 15th, 2008 at 3:29pm:
Howdy from Texas Peter! Im a newbie as well, so I dont know if Im qualified to give you the obligatory welcome

Ted every one has the full right to welcome newbies, even being a newbie yourself.  We are all in the same boat getting through each day best we can.

So welcome Ted and a big welcome to you Peter, every one is welcome here (well nearly everyone) Cheesy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)
WWW mummymac tanyamcintosh1 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=534942699&r mummymac  
IP Logged

Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

We all need to relax sometimes,
somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 5:51pm

Hi Peter & welcome,

sorry you need us but glad you found us. Hope your wife drops in 'cos mine found it a great help and it really helps when they understand what we are going through.

I and some others have found Melatonin helpful - especially for the night time hits - cheap with no side effects so may be worth a try - 9mgs at bedtime.

Try this link for lots of info from a respected source:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Best of luck and PF days soon,

regards,

Melvyn  Smiley

Melvyn

IP Logged

Ted L.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 11:05pm

Thanks, Mummymac. I DO already feel at home here, but sometimes it seems too good to be true. My first inclination is to read every posting on every subject and reply to everyone. LOL! The reason Im laughing is Im also kinda new to the net, so Im slow(that includes my typing skills). Oh yeah, I almost forgot: 15LPM O2 is working great! Any other newbies that run across this- YOU may already know about O2, but did ya know it needs to be higher than 8LPM? I didnt, until I found home. Thanks yall, and God bless. Ted L.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 1:06pm

Hi Peter,  I'll add my welcome to the rest.  You really should give us the run down on your routine.  We might be able to help you tweek it  Smiley

Guiseppi wrote on Jun 13th, 2008 at 12:14pm:
like Dennis said, we start getting really really nosey.

That was George's post.  Come on Guiseppi, you know that post was way to well written to have come from me  Grin

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

BrettK
CH.com Junior

It could be worse...

Anchorage, Alaska
Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 2:33pm

Welcome Peter!  Glad you found the site, sorry you needed to find it.  Just wanted to give you this link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.  It's a letter that does a good job of explaining our headaches to others.  It might help with your upcoming trip.

Brett

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!