Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What American Accent do you have? (Read 7623 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Re: What American Accent do you have?
Reply #25 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 9:36am

I might be just a "little" southern... Imagine that honey chile... Smiley

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

midwestbeth
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:16am

Neutral midwestern accent with no accent at all....

Beth

IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #27 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:19am

Well, it says I'm neutral - which is fine because I was born in Louisville, Kentucky, then moved to St. Louis, then moved to Vermilion, Ohio, then moved to Philly.

The progression of my accents really did change with each place I lived.  Ask Helen, after 8 days in England I was starting to morph - I'm that kind of person who just unconsciously starts talking like whoever I spend time around.

When I first started talking through whenever it finally washed out of me in St. Louis, I had this very very thick southern accent.  And actually, so did my mother, who never grew up in the south and never has had a hint of southern accent since - but she truly did when we lived there!  (Maybe she's a morph'er (my made-up term) too!)

Then, living in St. Louis and Ohio changed me.  There are regional differences in words, but not really accent.

Philly has been the most interesting, and where I have lived for the longest.  I'm not sure if that quiz identifies a Philly/South Jersey accent, but I'm thinking it doesn't because then it would have picked up mine.

For instance, how do you say the word water?  Does it sound like wooder?  How about radiator? (Said with short a like in Cat)  How about tournament?  That one was a tough one - when I lived in the midwest, we said it like turn-a-ment, but now I say it like tore-na-ment, which is what they say around here.  And a final one is culdesac.  Before, I would have pronounced that cull-dih-sac, and now I say cole-duh-sac.

My mom even says that out of all of us, she hears the Philadelphia accent most in me.  Maybe that's because I live closest to the city and work/spend all my time at doc appts in the city.  There are lots of other nuances to the Philadelphia/South Jersey accent, but those above are the easiest to describe!

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

Lizzie2
CH.com Sponsor

"L'Chaim"~Hebrew Toast~"To
Life"

Boothwyn, PA
Reply #28 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:25am

Oooh one thing to add.  Perhaps the most difficult thing about living in this area is the pronunciation of my own name!

I never could tell the difference between Carrie, Keri, or any other spellings.  Same with Mary, Merry....

People in this area and in New York City (my college roommate was a true New  Yorker) say those names very differently.  I can't even phonetically type out how my name is said here, but I cannot tell you the number of people who tell me that I say my own name wrong.  That's hilarious.  So then, so that people would quit saying that and so that when I was asked my name and someone needed to write it down, I started pronouncing it with the distinctive "aaah" that people around here and in NYC use.

My dad now makes fun of me by mimicking the way I say my name (badly) and saying that I've changed it to sound like people around here.  I told him that it depends who I'm speaking to - if someone asks me straight out, I say it the way I always have - but if I'm having to speak it to someone who has to write it down, then I say it in the more Eastern way.

Nothing gives you an identity crisis more than people telling you you don't know how to pronounce your own name!  haha

Hugz,
Care-ee

~~"Don't know much about your life. Don't know much about your world, but Don't wanna be alone tonight on this planet they call Earth."~~
Lizzie2 Lizzie2 Lizzie52004 NeoNurseChic  
IP Logged

mummymac
CH.com Alumnus

Kissed Donny Osmond and
proud of it

Jersey|United_Kingdom|europe
Reply #29 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 1:26pm

Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn`t sound the same. Just because you got this result doesn`t mean you don`t pronounce R`s.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hey Paul looks like you were right about me I am a Joisey

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)
WWW mummymac tanyamcintosh1 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=534942699&r mummymac  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #30 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 2:19pm

Hmmmmmmm. Well now, aren't I special?   Seems I don't have an identity.  Since I've lived in California almost my whole life, I don't get it???

Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus

"Too much of a good thing
can be wonderful!!

Houston, TX
Reply #31 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 2:32pm

Mexican!!  Cheesy  Grin Grin Grin well the quiz said Neutral.....

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or RegisterFunny Love!!!!!!!!!
Rosybabe ttps://www.facebook.com/rossybabe?ref=tn_tnmn smurph  
IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Reply #32 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 3:22pm

My strong Hungarian accent is Northeastern

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Smiley

WWW itotka  
IP Logged

stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Mandeville, LA
Reply #33 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 9:55pm

Northeastern.  Specifically.... Brooklyn.

Port city accents are similar...so I've been told. This bears it out I guess.

Steve G

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #34 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 7:02am

I got Neutral as well. No surprises there. Smiley

Sanna

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #35 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 7:29am

Mine would be Dutch off course. As the Netherlands are a place much visited by you Americans, I can say that most of you think of it as cute, Dutchmen speaking English  Grin!
I recently saw 'The devil's rejects' (just LUV horror movies, nothing you can do about it) which takes place in I guess Alabama or Texas or something, some rural area, and have to admit  I thought it was so funny (in a good way), such thick accents!

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #36 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 8:36am

maalstroom wrote on Jun 15th, 2008 at 7:29am:
Mine would be Dutch off course. As the Netherlands are a place much visited by you Americans, I can say that most of you think of it as cute, Dutchmen speaking English  Grin!

Since I speak (some) English and (less) German, whenever I listen to Dutch being spoken, it almost makes sense to me, but.....not quite.  It's become quite clear to me that whenever I think I'm getting the gist of a conversation in Dutch, I'm often horribly mistaken.

For example, my tin linguistic ear insists that your moniker--maalstroom--either means this:

or this:

or this:

Obviously it is not wise to depend upon my interpretation of Dutch.   Wink

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

CostaRicaKris
CH.com Old Timer

Currently training for
AFC half Marathon

San Diego, California
Reply #37 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 1:29pm

Northern??!

I must suck at taking tests. I've never even been to that part of the country.

Visit my website: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register   to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.&&&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Vida
WWW kris.morris17 CostaRicaKris  
IP Logged

Melvyn
CH.com Veteran

We all need to relax sometimes,
somehow.

|Yeovil|England|europe|
Reply #38 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 6:14pm

Hi,

born in Liverpool, have lived in London now down in the South west of England - but the quiz reckons I have a Northeastern accent - New Jersey .

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)
Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn`t sound the same. Just because you got this result doesn`t mean you don`t pronounce R`s.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

Crazy or what?

regards,

Melvyn Smiley

Melvyn

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #39 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 5:26pm

that's a fun one.

Dead on.

Northern.

Scott

IP Logged

Agostino Leyre
CH.com Sponsor

"Hit like a phillips head
into my brain."

Madison WI USA
Reply #40 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 9:23am

I'm neutral..

Triptans cause increased number of hits and increased intensity.  Learn it, believe it, live it.  I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.&&

IP Logged

Kilroy 2.0
CH.com Sponsor

Kilroy 2. is Here! Kilroy
2. is Everywhere!

Madison,WI
Reply #41 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 10:33am

Agostino Leyre wrote on Jun 17th, 2008 at 9:23am:
I'm neutral..

That is what it told me!
But, everyone in WI says a have a southern accent and everyone in TX says I talk like a yankee!

Cheesy

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
http://www.facebook.com/Killroy2.0?ref=profile gmlevenhagen  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #42 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 1:12pm

That was interesting!    I was neutral.  I live in an area called South  St. Louis where people do have a bit of an accent.  They say "fark" for fork, "southmore"  for sophomore  "farty" for forty "warsh:  for wash....... you get the idea.  I try hard to say those words especially the correct way.

My husband's family is from Eastern Tenn.  When we visit, my kids and my husband fall quickly into their accent.  One time we were there at a restaurant when a waitress said. " Ya'll ain't from round here are ya?  I could tell from ya'lls accent."  We cracked up!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #43 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 1:55pm

Even though I was born in the South( that's Suthun Califooornia).I am another Neutral.......
perhaps thatmakes me a REAL All-Amurican girl?

I dunno...........
Smiley Smiley

Cathi

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

echo
CH.com Alumnus

Chronic and still alive
--- I Win!

Overland Park, KS
Reply #44 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 2:05pm

Tiannia wrote on Jun 13th, 2008 at 7:18pm:

I'm curious. I've always lived in the west, grew up in the Southwest. But after 6 years of Theatre they beat any trace of accent out of me unless I was supposed to have one.  Wink

My Results:

Neutral You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-.  Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity.  You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be.  Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

Same for me.  Makes sense to me.  Dad grew up in Montana, Minnesota, Mother is from North Carolina. I grew up in Minnesota, spent time in Kentucky, Virginia, Georgia and now live in Kansas.

"If you love something, let it go.  If it doesn't come back,  hunt it down and kill it". Proud father of a US Marine,  Marine turned COP, Navy Corpsman, and KS Army National Guard. Our  4 sons serve.

IP Logged

TomM
CH.com Hall of Famer

Montgomery Village, MD, USA
Reply #45 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 3:43pm

Neutral for me, too!
I've spent most of my life in MERLAND and do not have the BALIMER accent. Just plain james...
TomM

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing." --Thoreau--
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 3:46pm

Hillbilly Harvard mix Undecided

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #47 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 1:41am

George wrote on Jun 15th, 2008 at 8:36am:
maalstroom wrote on Jun 15th, 2008 at 7:29am:
Mine would be Dutch off course. As the Netherlands are a place much visited by you Americans, I can say that most of you think of it as cute, Dutchmen speaking English  Grin!

Since I speak (some) English and (less) German, whenever I listen to Dutch being spoken, it almost makes sense to me, but.....not quite.  It's become quite clear to me that whenever I think I'm getting the gist of a conversation in Dutch, I'm often horribly mistaken.

For example, my tin linguistic ear insists that your moniker--maalstroom--either means this:

or this:

or this:

weblogs.marylandweather.com/thunderstorm.jpg

Obviously it is not wise to depend upon my interpretation of Dutch.   Wink

Best wishes,

George

Well, George, you were right on the second one. Maalstroom is a word to describe to most violent of vortexes, and literally translated it would spell grinding stream.
German and Dutch are indeed similar, but different enough to be very confusing to none-native speakers. The same goes for the Scandinavian languages. I can have a decent conversation in Norwegian, and therefor understand a little Swedish, but not more than to get the jist of it. However, my knowledge of Swedish is so basic, I couldn't reply in a proper manner.

Greetings from the Netherlands.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus

Ain't I a stinkah!!

Warr Acres, Oklahoma
Reply #48 - Jun 19th, 2008 at 10:30am

Western

Western is kind of neutral, but not quite since it`s still possible to tell where you`re from. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are). If you really want to sound "neutral," learn how to say "stock" and "stalk" differently.

I'm an oil brat...spent most of my life in Wyoming and Oklahoma...makes sense I guess....

that was fun!!  Smiley

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” By Maya Angelou

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!